Best cruise excursion?

MNCruizer1

• 3 weeks later...

Without knowing any thing about you-I can say that in progreso we did the Uxmal and Hacienda tour, and we loved it. Two out of the 4 of us had always wanted to visit Mayan ruins, and this was the perfect place to start. Plenty of history, beautiful area and ruins, and our small snack, which to us was a great lunch, in a serene setting was the highlight of our cruise. You will have to be more specific about what you want to see or experience before you get more answers. Good luck and have a great cruise.

Without knowing any thing about you-I can say that in progreso we did the Uxmal and Hacienda tour, and we loved it. Two out of the 4 of us had always wanted to visit Mayan ruins, and this was the perfect place to start. Plenty of history, beautiful area and ruins, and our small snack, which to us was a great lunch, in a serene setting was the highlight of our cruise. You will have to be more specific about what you want to see or experience before you get more answers. Good luck and have a great cruise.

my oldest wants to visit the ruins..have heard amazing things about Uxmal. Just not sure my 12 yr old would be interested and have heard there is a lot of walking. I guess I would just like my kids to really experience Mexico..since it is all of our first times out of the USA. We will be doing beach stuff in Cozumel..so not looking to do that in progreso. Thank you for the idea

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ask your son. I recently asked my 10 year old where he would go if he could go anywhere in the world and he shocked me when he said Uxmal. There was a picture of it in his classroom and it fascinated him. He didn't know that we would be able to go. Needless to say, it settled my inner argument whether to go to the ruins of not.

My first choice would be to visit Uxmal. The ruins are spectacular, on par with Chichen Itza. Yes there is walking, however there is a bit of shade and the sights around you make you forget you are walking!. The second choice would be Dzibilchaltun. It is a closer drive but not as spectacular, although worthy of a visit. A visit here also gives you the chance to see and swim in a cenote.

Whichever trip you chose, pack hats and extra water because it is most likely going to be hot. They have two seasons there, the hot season and the hotter season.