Kauai

lbfluffy

we are in Kauai from 8 to 5. For people that have rented a car at this port, does the process take a long time? I want to get as much as I can on this island with the limited time we have.

we are in Kauai from 8 to 5. For people that have rented a car at this port, does the process take a long time? I want to get as much as I can on this island with the limited time we have.

Have you considered a helicopter tour?

I think that is the best way to see the best of Kauai in a short amount of time.

Have you considered a helicopter tour?

I think that is the best way to see the best of Kauai in a short amount of time.

Can't do that, my husband is over the weight limit and doesn't care to fly. He told me I could go. Nope we will do something together.

Can't do that, my husband is over the weight limit and doesn't care to fly. He told me I could go. Nope we will do something together.

Well, if he simply doesn't want to do it, that's one thing, but Blue Hawaiian has no weight limit. For those over 260# the adjacent seat must be purchased at 50% of the regular tour price to insure the comfort of everyone. It's additional cost for your husband, but well worth it for perhaps a once in a lifetime tour. Book direct with the company for savings. They will pick up at the port.

As far as the rental car process, it can go fairly quickly. We have been in our car in as little as 30 min after boarding the shuttle. My advice is to get off the ship in the first group if possible. There will be continuous loop shuttles from the various car companies located at the nearby airport. You'll need to wait for "your" companies shuttle. Each loop takes 10 or 15 minutes and if the line is long, you may have to wait a cycle or two so get there early.

You'll need a car reservation made in advance. Discount Hawaii Car Rentals website, or their 800#, is a good place to make the reservation. Once you've picked your company and made the reservation, join their Loyalty Program and have your membership # added to your res. That will allow you to bypass the longer line at the counter and access the shorter Members Only line. No advance payment or penalties for no shows, so no loss due to last minute plan changes.

I'm not sure if our experience renting a car was unusual but it took over 30 minutes for us once we were shuttled to the rental agency from the airport. That was this past Sunday afternoon.

I'm certainly no expert on Kauai being here for only 4 days but we have been out exploring a lot. I think the two must see areas are the two on every list of the best to see of Kauai and they are the Na Pali coast and the Waimea Canyon. With your port time unless you go by a helicopter tour you would need to pick one or the other.

If you want to rent a car then I would suggest driving to the Waimea Canyon right away and stopping in Hanapepe to see this quaint town and grab a bite to eat at the bakery and then stop at the Opaeka waterfalls on the way back to the ship. I think that this would make for a nice trip in the time that you have.

I'm not sure if our experience renting a car was unusual but it took over 30 minutes for us once we were shuttled to the rental agency from the airport. That was this past Sunday afternoon.

I'm certainly no expert on Kauai being here for only 4 days but we have been out exploring a lot. I think the two must see areas are the two on every list of the best to see of Kauai and they are the Na Pali coast and the Waimea Canyon. With your port time unless you go by a helicopter tour you would need to pick one or the other.

If you want to rent a car then I would suggest driving to the Waimea Canyon right away and stopping in Hanapepe to see this quaint town and grab a bite to eat at the bakery and then stop at the Opaeka waterfalls on the way back to the ship. I think that this would make for a nice trip in the time that you have.

That sounds great. If I can't convince my husband the helicopter then it will be the car.

That sounds great. If I can't convince my husband the helicopter then it will be the car.

If there is a chance that your DH would go on the helicopter I would suggest doing your research and booking early. Ours had a 24 hr cancellation policy so you can always cancel if he changes his mind. Both of the helicopter companies in Maui and in Kauai that we used made us come 45 minutes early for check in and a safety video. So with a port time of 8-5 you would only have 3 or 4 time slots that would work for you. It's a beautiful island. Enjoy!:)

If there is a chance that your DH would go on the helicopter I would suggest doing your research and booking early. Ours had a 24 hr cancellation policy so you can always cancel if he changes his mind. Both of the helicopter companies in Maui and in Kauai that we used made us come 45 minutes early for check in and a safety video. So with a port time of 8-5 you would only have 3 or 4 time slots that would work for you. It's a beautiful island. Enjoy!:)[/quot

Thanks I'll look into it.