Hal tour - panoramic antigua (guatemala)

the4things

We are doing the Panama Canal aboard the Statendam (17 Feb 2012) - one of our stops is at Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala. We are looking at the Panoramic Antigua bus tour (5 hours approximately). Has anyone done this tour? Is there a washroom on the bus? How accessable are the washrooms in Antigua? We are travelling with an 82 year old and her only concern is the accessibility of washrooms on the trip to Antigua and back and while in the town.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

• 2 weeks later...

Restrooms on the bus will depend on the bus. I saw many different types used so you may not know until you are ready to board if there are there are any with restrooms. Unfortunately, I think most did not have restrooms so the odds are probably against it.

There are few if any "public" restrooms in Antigua. There is a restroom at the "museum" where the bus drops you off. Most cafe's and restaurants have restrooms but they are for paying customers so you might plan to take snack breaks as needed.

How is the 82's mobility? The streets are nice and clean but some are cobblestones or brick so footing can be uneven.

Thanks for the info Pilotdane! Mom's mobility is OK. This tour is mostly on the bus with a bit of time on our own to walk/shop. She wouldn't do well with the cobblestone streets, that's why we were looking at this particular tour. We will probably skip this one though, thanks again for the info!

Thank you for the info Pilotdane! Mom's mobility is alright, but the cobblestone streets would cause problems, that's why we were considering this tour - it is on the bus with a bit of time on our own to wander around Antigua at our own pace. We will probably not do this one though if "chances are" no washroom facility on the bus. Thanks again!

Antigua is truly beautiful and I hate that you might miss it but skipping it might be a good decision. In addition to the bathroom difficulty the "museum" where the bus drops off has uneven floors and can be extremely crowded making walking difficult and claustrophobic.

Thanks again for the info Pilotdane. I spoke with Mom last night and passed along the information and we are going to pass on the trip to Antigua. Without a washroom on the bus (the 90 minute drive to get there and then however long the tour of the town takes) she probably won't make the trip very comfortably.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
We are doing the Panama Canal aboard the Statendam (17 Feb 2012) - one of our stops is at Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala. We are looking at the Panoramic Antigua bus tour (5 hours approximately). Has anyone done this tour? Is there a washroom on the bus? How accessable are the washrooms in Antigua? We are travelling with an 82 year old and her only concern is the accessibility of washrooms on the trip to Antigua and back and while in the town.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

I did a HAL excursion to Antigua in 2007

and while I can't remember the tour name, it must surely be very similar to the one you refer to.

If you go to the Casa Santo Domingo for lunch then there will obviously be top-notch washrooms there but apart from that it would be a case of maybe prevailing upon a restaurant as there was no washroom on our bus.

All the best, Tony

Thanks so much for the information and the video, Tony! It is very much appreciated.

You're most welcome. Thinking about our day there, I think we went to the CSD after about an hour of arriving in Antigua. I don't think the coach had a washroom but once there I'm sure you can get to a local restaurant. You'll probably have to buy a coffee but you may want one by then :)

Antigua is lovely, I hope you can go there.

4things....I understand your concerns.... my mom had the same problem.

We just spent a 2 weeks in Guatemala, with one week in Antigua. It's a gorgeous city... we loved it. ...Fabulous churches, and really pretty streets.

But, as said before, ALL of the streets are cobbled. If your mom decides to go, sturdy shoes are a must, flimsy sandals and flipflops are a no-no.

Take mom for a snack or coffee at MacDonalds.....No, I'm not kidding, it has the prettiest gardens in town,,,, stunning! As well as clean restrooms.

Thanks Mamasue! We fly to San Diego tomorrow and board the Statendam on Friday. We will inquire at the Excursions Desk about washrooms and take it from there. I am guessing we won't be doing the excursion - cobblestones will make it difficult for Mom, but if she wants to go we will do it, it will have to be her decision though.

Thanks again, everyone, for all of your information and suggestions.

Archived