Skagway- Shops/Places in Town

Jen708

Hi everyone! I'm going on a cruise to Alaska this August (my first one ever), and I already have an excursion for Skagway booked (White Pass Rail w/ gold mining). Since my ship will be in port for roughly 12 hours, and the excursion will be 4 1/2, I was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations on shops to visit/places to go in town. I would really appreciate any suggestions! 😁

I'm cruising to Alaska in May. In Skagway, we are doing the train ride also. This will be my 4th cruise to AK. Skagway is a neat little town. I've been to "The Days of '98 Show" and recommend it. It's fun and they use audience participation to add to the fun. There are usually 3 shows during the time that the ships are in port. It's on the main street.

I've done a little research (ok, a lot, I'm a big nerd). This is my list of shops and things to do/see in Skagway. (I've also got lists for Juneau and Ketchikan if anyone is interested).

For the crafty: Aurora Yarns - 7th & Broadway; Rushin' Tailor's Quilt Shop - 370 Third Avenue

Klondike Doughboy - 326 Third Avenue (supposed to have great fry bread and lots of tasty things to take home)

Skaguay News Depot - 264 Broadway (books!)

The Train Shoppe - 231 Second Avenue (shop of the White Pass/Yukon Railway)

Alaska Geographic Shop - 291 Second Avenue (might be inside the Train Shoppe)

Kone Kompany - Broadway between 4th & 5th (ice cream!)

Skagway Museum and Archives - 7th & Spring

At the Visitor's Center (2nd & Broadway), they do free, short tours throughout the day. The three that I made a note of are:

Jeff Smiths Parlor Museum (30 minutes)

Women of Skagway Tour (45 minutes)

Historic District Tours - topics vary (45 minutes)

This website will give you a little more info on the tours: https://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/ranger-programs.htm

I've done a little research (ok, a lot, I'm a big nerd). This is my list of shops and things to do/see in Skagway. (I've also got lists for Juneau and Ketchikan if anyone is interested).

For the crafty: Aurora Yarns - 7th & Broadway; Rushin' Tailor's Quilt Shop - 370 Third Avenue

Klondike Doughboy - 326 Third Avenue (supposed to have great fry bread and lots of tasty things to take home)

Skaguay News Depot - 264 Broadway (books!)

The Train Shoppe - 231 Second Avenue (shop of the White Pass/Yukon Railway)

Alaska Geographic Shop - 291 Second Avenue (might be inside the Train Shoppe)

Kone Kompany - Broadway between 4th & 5th (ice cream!)

Skagway Museum and Archives - 7th & Spring

At the Visitor's Center (2nd & Broadway), they do free, short tours throughout the day. The three that I made a note of are:

Jeff Smiths Parlor Museum (30 minutes)

Women of Skagway Tour (45 minutes)

Historic District Tours - topics vary (45 minutes)

This website will give you a little more info on the tours: https://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/ranger-programs.htm

Im interested in all the shopping and places to see!!! Thanks

Carrington's has an awesome little museum, especially if you like ivory. I second Dough Boy, but stay out of the quilt shop unless you are independently wealthy or won a large jackpot on the ship. Alaska Geographic is across the street from the Park Visitors Center. Try the spruce tip beer at the brewery and fudge from Alaska Fudge. Tee shirts from the Harley shop.... check out the hardware store to see where Alaska bush people shop...

Don't go to the library to try to get on wifi. Skagway is a small town of around 800 people, slow wifi, and bad cell service. When there are up to 15,000 people in town the internet pipes get clogged. If you have to get online, go to the crew internet center on 3rd ( or maybe its 2nd) and pay for it.

Carrington's has an awesome little museum, especially if you like ivory. I second Dough Boy, but stay out of the quilt shop unless you are independently wealthy or won a large jackpot on the ship. Alaska Geographic is across the street from the Park Visitors Center. Try the spruce tip beer at the brewery and fudge from Alaska Fudge. Tee shirts from the Harley shop.... check out the hardware store to see where Alaska bush people shop...

Don't go to the library to try to get on wifi. Skagway is a small town of around 800 people, slow wifi, and bad cell service. When there are up to 15,000 people in town the internet pipes get clogged. If you have to get online, go to the crew internet center on 3rd ( or maybe its 2nd) and pay for it.

A question about the quilt shop. Are they selling finished quilts or quilting fabrics? Thanks

I second Dough Boy, but stay out of the quilt shop unless you are independently wealthy or won a large jackpot on the ship. Alaska Geographic is across the street from the Park Visitors Center.

Thanks for the clarifications!

For those interested. These are just my random lists of possible places to visit in Juneau.

Tracy's Crab Shack (new location this summer, but still on the pier by the tramway/ships)

Red Dog Saloon - 278 S. Franklin (I told my Mom that we have to go in and have a Duck Fart).

Glacier Smoothie - 365 S. Franklin (glacier silt soap & similar products)

Rainy Retreat Books - 113 Seward Street

Hearthside Books - 254 Front Street

Aunt Claudia's Doll Museum - 114 S. Franklin Street (upstairs)

Alaska Brewing Company - 219 S. Franklin (Brews & Beethoven concert on the day that I will be in port. If you will be in town in May, look into the Jazz & Classics Festival. Some of the concerts are free in various locations around town.)

Ketchikan!

Ketchicandies - 500 Mission Street

SE Alaska Discovery Center - 50 Main Street ($5 admission)

Burger Queen - 518 Water Street (popular with crew, I hear)

Hive at the Creek - 716 Totem Way #100 (bead & yarn store)

Parnassus Books - 105 Stedman Street

The Outlet Store - 5 Salmon Creek Landing #100 (I think it's mainly souvenir-type items)

Whale's Tail Quilt Shop - 5 Salmon Landing, upstairs

Salmon Market - 200 Main Street (salmon in pouches & cans, other food items)

Sam McGee's - 18 Creek Street (looked like a fun, whimsical shop with food items)

Soho Coho Gallery - Creek Street #5 (artists Evon Zerbetz & Ray Troll, among others)

Terry Pyles, artist owns The Point café & coffee shop (his art is sold there) - 25 Jefferson Way #102 (West of downtown area)

Funicular to Cape Fox Lodge - Creek Street ($2 RT)

Schoenbar Trail - can get there on city bus, silver line

Ketchikan!

The Outlet Store - 5 Salmon Creek Landing #100 (I think it's mainly souvenir-type items)

Sam McGee's - 18 Creek Street (looked like a fun, whimsical shop with food items)

Soho Coho Gallery - Creek Street #5 (artists Evon Zerbetz & Ray Troll, among others)

Terry Pyles, artist owns The Point café & coffee shop (his art is sold there) - 25 Jefferson Way #102 (West of downtown area)

There is a bar next to Burger Queen and you can order from Burger Queen. They will send a runner over with your order.

In Juno, we always take the city bus to Alaska Brewing and then walk to Costco.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ketchikan!

Thank you so much for all of this information, it is greatly appreciated!

Also thank you to everyone else for replying! So much information was shared it was very helpful! 😁

Thank you so much for all of these recommendations and tips! It's all greatly appreciated! 😁