Costa Serena in Dubai, anyone been yet??

misscolina

Just wondering if anyone has any comments to make on their recent cruise on the Serena in Dubai, good bad or indiffernet. We are going in 2 weeks and any information about the ships food, service or indeed anything about the cruise would be helpful to those of us yet to travel on her. We have booked the AI drinks so any info on this would be useful as well.

I'm also going in March.Which date are you sailing on? I'm on 20 March sailings.

We are on that sailing....leaving uk 19th 20.15 arriving in Dubai 7.00am....so does that mean we can't get on board till the afternoon???? That's a long time to wait-any ideas on how I can find out? Also has anyone got any good tips about trips in Dubai Muscat, Oman and Abu Dhabi - Thanks

We are on that sailing....leaving uk 19th 20.15 arriving in Dubai 7.00am....so does that mean we can't get on board till the afternoon???? That's a long time to wait-any ideas on how I can find out? Also has anyone got any good tips about trips in Dubai Muscat, Oman and Abu Dhabi - Thanks

Costa UK told me 4pm to start embarkation and 8pm for cabins. A lot of passengers arrive during the night and depart during the night. They will take cases from you and store them early in the morning. I was on a flight that arrived at 8am one year and got to the port at 9.30am and was able to check in my case. It is a long tiring day after an overnight flight. I grabbed one of the free shuttles to a Mall and killed a few hours there and had lunch. They did start embarkation an hour earlier than they said at 3pm.

The only tour I have ever done was the Seawings one in Dubai. It is very expensive but extremely good. Some of Dubai's architecture is best seen from the air. It is a small group tour, only 9 people on each one, and everyone gets a window seat in the seaplane.

Taxis are unbelievably cheap in UAE so that is the easiest way to get around in Dubai and Abu Dhabi. There is also a metro in Dubai and a new tram. If you want to do the Burj Khalifa then prebook online as it is a lot cheaper or book for a meal at At.Mosphere.

A must see in Abu Dhabi is the Grand Mosque - absolutely stunning.

In Muscat you can walk the Corniche and go to the old Muttrah Douk on foot from where the mandatory port bus drops you off. The city is fairly long and spread out, so you would need a taxi or HOHo bus to get to all of it. Taxis are not metered in Oman as they are in UAE so you need to agree the price before setting off. Those at the port gates charge more.

It really depends on what your interests are, there is so much to see and do, especially in Dubai.

just returned back to scotland yesterday from this cruise. Fantastic time. hot, but with a cool wind. next time we will fly the day before. arriving at the airport at 7am and not getting into the cabin until 8pm is rough, but understandable. an italian couple we met were travelling home on a costa charter flight and their disembarkation meeting point was at 10pm on the final day!

happy to answer any questions

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

just returned back to scotland yesterday from this cruise. Fantastic time. hot, but with a cool wind. next time we will fly the day before. arriving at the airport at 7am and not getting into the cabin until 8pm is rough, but understandable. an italian couple we met were travelling home on a costa charter flight and their disembarkation meeting point was at 10pm on the final day!

happy to answer any questions

Hi, glad to hear you had a good time. I have a question regarding currency. We are coming from England but are planning on taking Euros with us and exchanging in to UAD and Omani Rial whilst we are over there. Does this sound like a good plan? Is it easy to change euros in to said currency either on the ship, or when we are based in each place?

I took only Dirhams. there was no problem using them in Oman, altho I got the impression that they preferred Euros. Infact, other than the onboard account, Dirhams was all that I used the entire trip.

Interestingly we shared a taxi with an Italian couple who had exchanged their euros to dollars

I took only Dirhams. there was no problem using them in Oman, altho I got the impression that they preferred Euros. Infact, other than the onboard account, Dirhams was all that I used the entire trip.

Interestingly we shared a taxi with an Italian couple who had exchanged their euros to dollars

Well from your message I feel like whatever currency we take, we should be able to get by! I think I'll stick to the euro idea though and exchange if/when we need Dirham.

Hi, glad to hear you had a good time. I have a question regarding currency. We are coming from England but are planning on taking Euros with us and exchanging in to UAD and Omani Rial whilst we are over there. Does this sound like a good plan? Is it easy to change euros in to said currency either on the ship, or when we are based in each place?

Having been to Dubai 4 times and also a banker, I'd advise not to convert sterling to Euros. You will definitely have to convert to at least AED for things like taxis etc so will get a double hit on currency conversion. The euros is falling at the moment with the uncertainty following the Greek elections, I'd only convert to euros if visiting a country that used them.

I personally get a small amount of dirhams in the UK (M&S, Post Office whatever) and get the rest via an ATM when there using a currency card. If you really do want to take the risk of carrying cash, then change a small amount at Dubai airport and the rest at a currency exchange in the Malls (their rates are usually better than at the airport)

Having been to Dubai 4 times and also a banker, I'd advise not to convert sterling to Euros. You will definitely have to convert to at least AED for things like taxis etc so will get a double hit on currency conversion. The euros is falling at the moment with the uncertainty following the Greek elections, I'd only convert to euros if visiting a country that used them.

I personally get a small amount of dirhams in the UK (M&S, Post Office whatever) and get the rest via an ATM when there using a currency card. If you really do want to take the risk of carrying cash, then change a small amount at Dubai airport and the rest at a currency exchange in the Malls (their rates are usually better than at the airport)

I see what you mean now and realise it will be a major error to take Euros! We have few Euros for on board the ship and will most likely change some Sterling in to Dirham before we leave and get the rest whilst we are there. Thanks for your help.

I see what you mean now and realise it will be a major error to take Euros! We have few Euros for on board the ship and will most likely change some Sterling in to Dirham before we leave and get the rest whilst we are there. Thanks for your help.

You are very welcome. Have fun - it's a great trip, can't wait to repaet it it in March (especially as it's snowing now!)

Just got back from this trip on Friday and have to say what fabulous value for money. It's not the most modern or glitziest ship I've been on but the cabins are very comfortable and spacious and the whole ship is spotlessly clean. The food in the buffet is very good and in the main dining room it's also good. You can usually find something you like.

What makes this cruise is the excellent service and the friendly happy crew. Nothing was too much trouble and they are constantly asking if you would like a drink in the lounge bars. The all inclusive drinks package is excellent value also. At 7 euro plus 15% for a cocktail we reckon we got our money's worth on day 2 lol.

I would have no hesitation in doing it again.

Just got back from this trip on Friday and have to say what fabulous value for money. It's not the most modern or glitziest ship I've been on but the cabins are very comfortable and spacious and the whole ship is spotlessly clean. The food in the buffet is very good and in the main dining room it's also good. You can usually find something you like.

What makes this cruise is the excellent service and the friendly happy crew. Nothing was too much trouble and they are constantly asking if you would like a drink in the lounge bars. The all inclusive drinks package is excellent value also. At 7 euro plus 15% for a cocktail we reckon we got our money's worth on day 2 lol.

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. Really looking forward to going.. 3 weeks and counting!

Glad to hear you had a good time. 6 weeks on Wednesday until I fly out and with all the cold winds and wee bit of snow last week, I can't wait!

hi does anyone have any tips on whether the shops are cheaper in Oman or Abu Dhabi as opposed to Dubai.

I am looking to purchase a small amount of jewellery and some Asian clothing in the main.

We are on the 20th March sailing.

Spent more time in Malls in Dubia than in Abu Dhabi but from what Imrecollect mainly window shopping, proces are very similar.

Can't comment on Oman as I've never gone to a Mall there. Not even sure where they are!

I'll be on the same sailing as you and I'm hoping the next 6 weeks will fly by!