Does a veranda on a Baltic cruise make sense?

jaimemayo

Hello! I have a reservation now for an interior room on a HAL ship for June for a Baltic cruise. I am thinking of upgrading to a veranda for $1500 more but am not sure if it's a good idea. 1) I am not sure the weather this far north will be conducive to sitting on the veranda and 2) Because of the northern latitude I am concerned that daylight will be streaming into the cabin in the evening and even night even with the curtains drawn because there won't be any darkening shades like in many Scandinavian hotels. Thanks for any insights you can give me!

Hello! I have a reservation now for an interior room on a HAL ship for June for a Baltic cruise. I am thinking of upgrading to a veranda for $1500 more but am not sure if it's a good idea. 1) I am not sure the weather this far north will be conducive to sitting on the veranda and 2) Because of the northern latitude I am concerned that daylight will be streaming into the cabin in the evening and even night even with the curtains drawn because there won't be any darkening shades like in many Scandinavian hotels. Thanks for any insights you can give me!

I can tell you the balcony (corner true-aft) we had for our Northern Europe Baltic cruise in August was priceless..we enjoyed that balcony so much especially when in ports and the sail in/outs of some of our ports...and those sea days...the quiet personal space...wonderful. Would I ever have considered staying in what to me is a walkin closet for this amazing itinerary...no...JMHO

BTW: Absolutely no problem with light coming into the cabin at night or during the day (that wasn't the case at all)...all cabins have blackout curtains you can use at night and the shear drapery was enough to keep the brightest of sun diffused during the day. This shouldn't be a concern for you at all.

Edited by Ashland

Thank you, Ashland, for your thoughtful reply. Just found out today I was upgraded to a verandah room! So this works out perfectly!! Now I am REALLY looking forward to this cruise :D

You're so very welcome....Great news on the upgrade...Now enjoy that cruise :D

Do you mind if I ask what ship and what month for your cruise?

We were on the RCI Jewel of the Seas...August 11, 2010...a 12 night Northern Europe/Baltic itinerary...absolutely an amazing cruise.