Cable Car to Great Wall at Mutianyu

Hazed Gray

Anyone recently taken the cable car? I'm talking the enclosed gondola, not the open-seat ski lift. My wife is acrophobic, but tolerates flying due to comfort of the fuselage enclosure. I'm hoping to convince her to ride the cable car up and back on our forthcoming visit to Mutianyu. We are both too old and time-limited to walk up and back!

Four questions:1. Do the gondola windows begin about shoulder height when seated? 2. What is the approximate in-transit time from bottom to top station? 3. Is there significant side-to-side sway to the gondola car while in transit? 4.How far is the walk from visitor center to the bottom gondola terminal ticket booth? Is it good footing and not very steep?

Would particularly like to hear from recent users who may have experienced partners with similar fears, and how they resolved them!

Compared to many other cable car rides I have taken in the Alps, this one is harmless, short and uneventful. I don't remember any swaying of the cabin. You sit with your back to the windows which do not go down to the floor. There are several photos online.

From the parking lot to the base station, we walked up a moderately steep hill between souvenir booths and used stairs to get to the entrance.

Sorry I can't be more precise.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone recently taken the cable car? I'm talking the enclosed gondola, not the open-seat ski lift. My wife is acrophobic, but tolerates flying due to comfort of the fuselage enclosure. I'm hoping to convince her to ride the cable car up and back on our forthcoming visit to Mutianyu. We are both too old and time-limited to walk up and back!

Four questions:1. Do the gondola windows begin about shoulder height when seated? 2. What is the approximate in-transit time from bottom to top station? 3. Is there significant side-to-side sway to the gondola car while in transit? 4.How far is the walk from visitor center to the bottom gondola terminal ticket booth? Is it good footing and not very steep?

Would particularly like to hear from recent users who may have experienced partners with similar fears, and how they resolved them!

no the windows are lower than shoulder height.

2 the time in gondola is about 10 to 15 minutes

3 no I would not say there is side to side swaying.

4 it is not to far to walk and I have limited mobility from the visitor centre to bottom of the gondola BUT once you get off the gondola it is a walk through past stores then a walk up the hill to get to the wall,

I found this walk hard but I did make it

BUT there was a small taxi that if I could have taken if I could have understood what the person trying to sell me the cab ride was saying and I did not know how far the walk was I would have gladly paid for a taxi ride. I am not sure if this taxi is always available.

You cannot tell how far you have to walk by looking as the walkway twists and turns. Once you get near the top there is an elevator that takes you up 2 flights of stairs then you walk up maybe 8 to 10 steps and you are on the wall.

I am glad I did it but it was a hard walk for me. We took the taxi down. I am sorry I have no idea how much the cab was $$.

Hope I helped you with your questions.

Sue

Sue- Many thanks for a very detailed answer! My (not wife's) mobility limitation is COPD...lots of puffing uphill. Wife has limited forward vision and requires my hand to navigate safely. Surprised to learn there is a walk at the top, but if I understood, you did use the cab on return trip. Just to the upper gondola station, or all way back to entry (ticket) area?

Edited by Hazed Gray

It seemed like a pleasant ride in the gondola car, not too high up. It was no big deal. I don't recall any swaying. We were in a car that had a plaque in it that said Bill Clinton used that car on his visit to China when he was president.

Sue- Many thanks for a very detailed answer! My (not wife's) mobility limitation is COPD...lots of puffing uphill. Wife has limited forward vision and requires my hand to navigate safely. Surprised to learn there is a walk at the top, but if I understood, you did use the cab on return trip. Just to the upper gondola station, or all way back to entry (ticket) area?

Yes, you are correct I just used a cab from the elevator at the top to the area near the gondola station.

Yes, we too were very surprized that there was still a good walk from the gondola to the wall.

That being said the walk on the wall is in good condition and the stairs are good also. We have friends who have gone to other sections of the wall and you have a huge climb up the stairs from the bus parking and then very uneven walking surface.

If you want to email me I can send you pictures suedotdonatlivedotcom

Sue

Sue

The souvenir sellers at that location are particularly agressive . If you see something you like, show total disinterest and buy it on the way down as it will be a third of the price !!!! If they pull your clother=s to gain attentuion just say POO YOW forcefully .

I was there a few months ago, and closed my eyes because i was afraid which I am normally not. This was the 2º time, the 1º time when we past the towers it always moved terribly.

I would go to the other entrance, less people, and more original.

Last time was very disapointed, 1000 of people, pushing going up and after down. Even a little Bar was on the top which I think is not right.

The taxi told us to go to a dif. one , but my friend insisted in going to the same we went 2007 and the diference was so big. Very disapointed