HYATT PLACE in San Juan

cruisecriticmonster

Hi

We stayed there for just 1 night last year. It has a nice little bar, rooms were comfy. Breakfast was small selection but perfectly nice. Nice small pool area outside.

You can see the ships from the hotel.

Check out was manic at 10am as pretty much everyone there was headed to a cruise so were all wanting to leave at the same time, so I'd say check out then breakfast and miss the rush!

They called us a cab which came within 10 mins. Would definitely stay there again.

We just stayed at the Hyatt Place Saturday night. We felt it was a great choice for our one-night post cruise stay. The hotel is located, at most, a mile away from the ship and you can see the pier from the hotel. I think our taxi ride from the ship to the hotel was $14 ($9 for the fare, $2 fuel charge, $1 per bag). Check in was easy and they have a fast checkout where you just leave your key cards in a bowl in the lobby.

We got the harbor view room, which was nice, on the fifth floor. It was a real good size, especially after spending the previous 7 days in a shoe box. The breakfast was ok, nothing special but enough to get your day off to a good start. The pool, which also has a bar, is very nice and has a small kids section with a pirate play area. There is an Olive Garden and Sizzler basically across the street and a couple other restaurants within in a short walk or cab ride. On the hotel's recommendation, we ate at Casita Miramar, an authentic Puerto Rican place that was phenomenal. If you have the chance, I fully recommend it as well. It was a 10-minute walk.

They provide a free shuttle to Old San Juan but it was not available this weekend because of a giant arts festival that was going on. The cab ride downtown was $10 each way. The hotel has someone who calls for taxis just outside of the lobby.

If we were going to stay more than a couple of days in Puerto Rico, I'd probably look at booking a hotel in Condando (beach area) or in Old San Juan. However, if we cruise out of PR again and just need a night or two in the future, the Hyatt Place will be my first choice.

• 3 months later...

I have upcoming reservations at Hyatt Place. Looked at Google street view and I could not find any restaurants across the street or even within the immediate neighborhood. Of course the pictures could be outdated. Are these restaurants fairly new to the area?

There is an Olive Garden and Sizzler basically across the street and a couple other restaurants within in a short walk or cab ride.

Did you actually go to the Olive Garden? When we were in SJ in December I looked for it after seeing the huge sign, but the building was fenced off, boarded up, and not in use. And it wasn't listed on the OG website.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...