Giving Back with Purpose- Community Tour

h_blond2

Who here has done this tour? Mom and I are both teachers and are wanting to visit the school and take a few school supplies with us. The Carnival website doesn't offer much info about the tour, so I was hoping you all might have some additional information! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am touring with Kent Rupert Young on June 27. Cruise friends have toured with him. His wife is a teacher, and principal, at one of the schools. My second graders have made cards for her class and I am taking them to the kids when we visit the school. I am also taking some school supplies.

He is also touring us around the city and coast.

I'm sure she would love for you to come visit as well!

Contact info:

siryoungtaxi@yahoo.com

Or

501-662-4597

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Posting this for others wondering the same thing. Planning to do this on my next cruise. I found some links about the Giving back with a purpose tours.

Belize: Liberty Children's Home

http://www.libertyfoundation.org.uk/the-kids/

https://www.facebook.com/LibertyChildrensHome/

Cozumel: Cuidad de Angeles children's home

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7723

http://www.ciudaddeangeles.org/

https://www.facebook.com/communitytour2016/

In this particular case, I disagree with you. I live here and know the quality of items available here, and not available here, as opposed to availability in first world countries. Please bring Crayola crayons. Please bring children's books that you may be donating to your local library, not necessarily buying new. Please bring coloring books. We do not have good quality of any of these things. Erasers, crayons, pencils all come from China. Please also know that you can make cash donations while here. But please bring good quality things that you wish to donate.

In this particular case, I disagree with you. I live here and know the quality of items available here, and not available here, as opposed to availability in first world countries. Please bring Crayola crayons. Please bring children's books that you may be donating to your local library, not necessarily buying new. Please bring coloring books. We do not have good quality of any of these things. Erasers, crayons, pencils all come from China. Please also know that you can make cash donations while here. But please bring good quality things that you wish to donate.

Crayola crayons are indeed sold in Belize

Yes, they are sold here at such a high rate that no one would likely purchase them. The children who have Crayola crayons in Belize will never be the recipients of donations from kind hearted travelers.

I offered a differing opinion to yours as a person who has lived here for 15 years. For those who hadn't thought about stimulating the economy, your point is out there for them to consider. I do not want travelers to see your post and think, oh, we will just buy things when we get to Belize. It isn't that easy. The stores are not always open. We have no Walmart, Target, Kmart, etc. They are not convenient to the locations that you may want to disperse your gifts to, and I stand by my stance on the Chinese products that we have here in Belize.

Two options, travelers can decide, but many children here will be thankful for donations or gifts brought in, purchased here, or money donated so that expats here can purchase in first world countries and bring back in on their next trip.

Yes, they are sold here at such a high rate that no one would likely purchase them. The children who have Crayola crayons in Belize will never be the recipients of donations from kind hearted travelers.

I offered a differing opinion to yours as a person who has lived here for 15 years. For those who hadn't thought about stimulating the economy, your point is out there for them to consider. I do not want travelers to see your post and think, oh, we will just buy things when we get to Belize. It isn't that easy. The stores are not always open. We have no Walmart, Target, Kmart, etc. They are not convenient to the locations that you may want to disperse your gifts to, and I stand by my stance on the Chinese products that we have here in Belize.

Two options, travelers can decide, but many children here will be thankful for donations or gifts brought in, purchased here, or money donated so that expats here can purchase in first world countries and bring back in on their next trip.

Your first quote said Crayola wasn't available they're your recent quote acknowledge that it is I'm not really convinced that you know what's there or isn't there

Who here has done this tour? Mom and I are both teachers and are wanting to visit the school and take a few school supplies with us. The Carnival website doesn't offer much info about the tour, so I was hoping you all might have some additional information! Thanks!

Unfortunately, our excursion last week was canceled due to lack of interest in it. Hopefully, more attention can be brought to this type of excursion.

• 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately, our excursion last week was canceled due to lack of interest in it. Hopefully, more attention can be brought to this type of excursion.

That's kind of what we were afraid of. We have almost a year before the cruise, so hopefully more people will find some interest in it!

Sent from my LG-K371 using Forums mobile app

Thank you for your information. We have donated school supplies in other ports and it has never been a problem and I don't see how bringing some pencils and crayons will destruct your economy or could be considered disrespectful. I really hope there is enough interest for this tour to take place.

Thank you for your information. We have donated school supplies in other ports and it has never been a problem and I don't see how bringing some pencils and crayons will destruct your economy or could be considered disrespectful. I really hope there is enough interest for this tour to take place.

certainly the effect is all about the numbers but I am stunned that you cant see how tourists donations effect the local economy. We are really just talking econ 101 so its not complicated. A&R in san pedro has dustless chaulk cheaper that in the states. here is a discussion on school supplies.

https://ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/441452/School_Supplies_for_Donations.html

certainly the effect is all about the numbers but I am stunned that you cant see how tourists donations effect the local economy. We are really just talking econ 101 so its not complicated. A&R in san pedro has dustless chaulk cheaper that in the states. here is a discussion on school supplies.

https://ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/441452/School_Supplies_for_Donations.html

Well thanks for your snarky comments that I did not ask for. If we do book this excursion, we will not have to opportunity to stop anywhere to buy supplies, so we will take them with is. Also, if you want to try to educate me on anything, please use proper capitalization and punctuation. Now, have a lovely day.

Well thanks for your snarky comments that I did not ask for. If we do book this excursion, we will not have to opportunity to stop anywhere to buy supplies, so we will take them with is. Also, if you want to try to educate me on anything, please use proper capitalization and punctuation. Now, have a lovely day.

Trying to say that proper punctuation teaches you how economics works doesn't make sense.

h_blond2, Continue with your plan. Highly doubtful that Geeko has been to the stores of which he speaks. He is counting on almost 5 year old posts by people who had second hand information. Some didn't even live here. The people who live here will tell you to bring with you. But now he has piqued my curiosity about the dustless chalk at A&R. I am going to go in and see what the lead content in the dustless chalk is because most of or local products come from China. We know how that goes in the USA, some products are unacceptable because Chinese products are filled with byproducts that we would not allow.

Please come, visit our schools and bring with you what you wish to donate. Our economy is not affected by that. Loss of tourist dollars and cruise money spent only on tourist village stores and cruiseline sponsored vendors hurt us much more.

Some people just need to be hateful because they have nothing better to do.

Walking the walk.

No
h_blond2, Continue with your plan. Highly doubtful that Geeko has been to the stores of which he speaks. He is counting on almost 5 year old posts by people who had second hand information. Some didn't even live here. The people who live here will tell you to bring with you. But now he has piqued my curiosity about the dustless chalk at A&R. I am going to go in and see what the lead content in the dustless chalk is because most of or local products come from China. We know how that goes in the USA, some products are unacceptable because Chinese products are filled with byproducts that we would not allow.

Please come, visit our schools and bring with you what you wish to donate. Our economy is not affected by that. Loss of tourist dollars and cruise money spent only on tourist village stores and cruiseline sponsored vendors hurt us much more.

Some people just need to be hateful because they have nothing better to do.

Walking the walk.

You certainly need to do your homework about dustless chalk sold in the United States with lead in it and you need to do your homework about crayons sold in the United States with asbestos in them but the bottom line is if you don't have time to shop locally then probably you have to bring it with you

• 1 month later...
The Giving Back with a Purpose doesn't show up now on the Carnival excursion website for Belize. Have they discontinued it?

I was able to get their website to show me the Belize excursions today, although it's still not acting right at all.

Anyways - as far as I can see, yeah - it looks like the Give Back With Purpose excursion has been struck from the list. Too bad, but I don't believe it was terribly popular so it will likely have fallen victim to how little revenue it brought in.

It's a real shame, too - because there is a distinct lack of worthwhile excursions in Belize and Carnival are in dire need of more variety. Nothing much looks unmissable to me right now. :(

• 8 months later...
Your first quote said Crayola wasn't available they're your recent quote acknowledge that it is I'm not really convinced that you know what's there or isn't there

I am very interested in this tour, I think it will be great for my kids and I would love to bring some supplies. That being said, I read your response and it came off as mean.. that person did not say crayola ws not sold there, if you really read the person talked about quality and what was not as available there compare to other countries. Then they post to bring crayola,..... "In this particular case, I disagree with you. I live here and know the quality of items available here, and not available here, as opposed to availability in first world countries. Please bring Crayola crayons."That person lives there and that island have so little compared to us in the US.

I am originally from Jamaica and I know the kids there would love crayola and anything else they can get. Not because it was not sold there but the cost so expensive

Packing with a purpose is another good site for knowing what local charities are looking for supplies: https://www.packforapurpose.org/

We always check before travel to see if there are things we can bring and drop off someplace.

As for Belize, we were there last October for 10 days, took a bunch of school supplies and a bunch of supplies for the local animal shelter. Yes, some things can be purchased there in some areas. But not in all areas and not always in places tourists have time to find. Checking what different charities are asking you to bring will not only show what they specifically need, but show what they are having a hard time getting locally.

As for Crayola crayons, I never saw them in the town we stayed in, and we were in pretty much every shop while there. They may have been available in Dangriga, but that is an hour away.

I am very interested in this tour, I think it will be great for my kids and I would love to bring some supplies. That being said, I read your response and it came off as mean.. that person did not say crayola ws not sold there, if you really read the person talked about quality and what was not as available there compare to other countries. Then they post to bring crayola,..... "In this particular case, I disagree with you. I live here and know the quality of items available here, and not available here, as opposed to availability in first world countries. Please bring Crayola crayons."That person lives there and that island have so little compared to us in the US.

I am originally from Jamaica and I know the kids there would love crayola and anything else they can get. Not because it was not sold there but the cost so expensive

I understand completely that the children in Belize are going to enjoy Crayola crayons. My point it's not good for the local economy to bring stuff in from the United States and destroy the local market. Much better to buy locally and help the local businesses which you can do with Crayola. Angelus press carries them.