P&o no compensation ?

wayram

Have just come off PACIFIC DAWN cruise W444 GREAT BARRIER REEF GETAWAY from Sat Nov 15 - Sat Nov 22. As it turned out the ship was delayed on the Friday for 24 hours and instead of docking Sat morning it docked Sunday morning. All passengers were notified of the delay, we were notified on Friday at 6.05pm and were told to board the ship Sunday instead of Saturday. That may have been fine for the locals but for us coming from Melbourne we had to book accommodation for the Saturday and with the G20 on at that time rooms were not easy to find. It would have also cost more to try and change flights etc. Okay we accepted all that and the cruise was changed from 7 days to 6 days and P & O took Port Douglas off the itinerary instead of Willis Island but that's their choice. P & O gave every adult a $100 onboard credit, children aged from 12 to 17 years got a $50 credit, children under 12 nothing. In addition they have also offered a 120% of the cruise fair paid for one day of the cruise in our case $233 off the next cruise with them, which has been set up in their system. Our beef is we paid in advance for seven days and only got 6, they took a good port away and left Willis island on and have offered nothing for the extra accommodation and dinner which we had to outlay, they were not interested in our story or anyone else's on the ship so all of us feel a little put out and should be given more than they have given.

Edited by wayram
mistake putting it in

Have just come off PACIFIC DAWN cruise W444 GREAT BARRIER REEF GETAWAY from Sat Nov 15 - Sat Nov 22. As it turned out the ship was delayed on the Friday for 24 hours and instead of docking Sat morning it docked Sunday morning. All passengers were notified of the delay, we were notified on Friday at 6.05pm and were told to board the ship Sunday instead of Saturday. That may have been fine for the locals but for us coming from Melbourne we had to book accommodation for the Saturday and with the G20 on at that time rooms were not easy to find. It would have also cost more to try and change flights etc. Okay we accepted all that and the cruise was changed from 7 days to 6 days and P & O took Port Douglas off the itinerary instead of Willis Island but that's their choice. P & O gave every adult a $100 onboard credit, children aged from 12 to 17 years got a $50 credit, children under 12 nothing. In addition they have also offered a 120% of the cruise fair paid for one day of the cruise in our case $233 off the next cruise with them, which has been set up in their system. Our beef is we paid in advance for seven days and only got 6, they took a good port away and left Willis island on and have offered nothing for the extra accommodation and dinner which we had to outlay, they were not interested in our story or anyone else's on the ship so all of us feel a little put out and should be given more than they have given.

yes i also think you was well and truelly looked after very well with compo and if you have travel insurance you could try and claim the extra nights stay

they had to take away Port Douglas and go to Willis Island other wise the passengers couldnt buy any duty free alcohol or smokes and then they would have got upset even more

I'd hope if you put a claim in for the hotel night, they would cover the cost of that. I think that would be reasonable.

Paying the $200 total OBC sounds like just it covers you for the cruise night that you paid for.

The booking for a future holiday isn't compensation, it's just goodwill. If you aren't able to take it up for whatever reason, then you lose it which shows that it's not actually compensation.

Edited by The_Big_M

The compensation that they have given is the $100 onboard credit. The credit towards the next cruise is valid for 12 months and only applicable of course IF we go with P&O. So it really means nothing. I would expect that if they paid for our room I would be happy. I will be putting a claim in for that. Not really expecting anything but worth a try.

The compensation that they have given is the $100 onboard credit. The credit towards the next cruise is valid for 12 months and only applicable of course IF we go with P&O. So it really means nothing. I would expect that if they paid for our room I would be happy. I will be putting a claim in for that. Not really expecting anything but worth a try.

Claims are things you lodge with insurance companies.

Or did you not have travel insurance?

Several years ago, after a holiday from hell which cost and arm and a leg where we did not get a lot of things in our written contract, the "compensation" offered to us was $250 off our next holiday when next we booked with this particular company. Given that our holiday cost around $25K, $250 was a drop in the ocean and a slap in the face.

We went to the NSW Dept of Fair Trading whereupon the Member asked the company rep what they had offered us for our holiday which failed to provide us with the specific items as noted in our contract.

The response of $250 off a future booking was not acceptable according to the Member. Why ? Because as he said, it is not compensation if you do not intend to travel with that company again ... after their treatment of us, there was no way we would travel with them again ...

I have read quite a few reviews about this particular company over the years and it seems nothing much has changed re: its view of its contractual obligations to those who engage their services let alone customer service ... and no, the company I'm talking about was not P&O but the principal of compensation remains the same.

Claims are things you lodge with insurance companies.

No, claims are demands for something asserted as owed to you, that can be put to anyone appropriate.

"Claim. noun: a demand or request for something considered one's due."

Insurance is one way of covering, which can make things simpler, or where there isn't another party at fault e.g. fire from lightning. But you can certainly claim from someone else, as appropriate.

I would expect that if they paid for our room I would be happy. I will be putting a claim in for that. Not really expecting anything but worth a try.

See how you go with that, and I'd suggest it will work out (as long as you aren't claiming the Presidential suite at the Sheraton! ;-) )

But if it doesn't, as implied above, you might want to try through Fair Trading as well (but go direct/through your TA first).

• 4 weeks later...

We have just come off another cruise line. Missed two ports, were a day late leaving. Had to pay for our own accommodation in Sydney. They had One Direction, Katie Perry and the Arias on in Sydney. Very hard to find anything and most of Sydneys people put up the cost of the accommodation accordingly. We received some compensation. I think you will find in the small print of your contract, that you can only put in a claim if the ship breaks down. On another occasion P&O paid for our accommodation, gave us vouchers and supplied all our meals when their ship had problems. The joys of cruising. LOL. It all adds up to the experience. We are off again in one and a half weeks. It didn't put us off.

I think you will find in the small print of your contract, that you can only put in a claim if the ship breaks down.

I think you'll also find that whatever the T&C, your consumer rights / consumer guarantees cannot be removed / ignored by any company.

I also think you've been adequately compensated.

Same thing happened on one of our cruises.

We got no compensation whatsoever. I was fine with it. Our delay was weather related, these things happen. We had travel insurance and claimed the equivalent of one days fare. That is why you take out travel insurance.