Malaria medications required in Guatemala?

azevedan

Oceania Cruises is telling us that "The port of Guatemala requires Malaria medication from guests arriving by cruise ship. You may bring a waiver letter from your Dr. saying you are allergic to the medication and cannot take it."

Anyone else heard of this?

I wonder how they plan on enforcing this? Do you have to show them a pill bottle or just check the "yes" box on some form?

Yellow fever is the only vaccine I'm aware of where you regularly receive a card proving that you have been immunized.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to Guatemala twice. Both times in the highlands and up to remote aldeas. The only shot I made sure I had was a tetenus shot.

I will be on the Celebrity Century from 7 am to 6pm. Getting off the boat and going to Antigua for the day, really needs malaria pills? That sound very extreme...

I have been to Guatemala twice. Both times in the highlands and up to remote aldeas. The only shot I made sure I had was a tetenus shot.

I will be on the Celebrity Century from 7 am to 6pm. Getting off the boat and going to Antigua for the day, really needs malaria pills? That sound very extreme...

I have been all over Guate, never heard of any 'required' innocs. I actually had Malaria a decade ago while in the mountains around Comalapa, but that's WAY away from any tourist area, and Puerto Barrios wouldn't have any more malarial threat that belize, honduras, etc. I still don't get malaria innocs when I go, although I have taken Dengea and Yellow cycles that are good for 10 years. Interested to see if this requirement is legit.

You had a Dengue vaccine? What did you get? I thought the only vaccines were still in the clinical trial stages with a possible release still 3 or 4 years away.

It wasn't a vaccine, that was for the yellow. This was a series of culture pills that are supposedly effective. But yes, as I understand it they can be pretty hit or miss. To be honest, when I went to my travel Doc I just told them "gimi whatever you have that you think I need". I think Typhoid was in there too:rolleyes:

I am an American from Michigan that lives in Antigua, Guatemala. I am actually a sport fishing captain out of the port you all come in. Anyways, lived here for 5 years now and I have never had any shot, nor do you need it. You aren't coming into a dense jungle, its a working port with minor vegetation and you are gone before sun down usually. I would either fish direct with someone like me or check out Antigua. Hope that helps.

www.bluebayouguatemala.com

Capt Chris

Love Antigua, one of my fav cities in the world. Say hello to Mono Loco for me:)

Archived