26 Glacier Cruise Whittier advice needed

camama2

Do you see the same or similar things on a cruise ship that you do on the one day 26 Glacier cruise out of Whittier? I am planning a cruise for this summer for my family as well as my 86 & 89 year old parents (probably Coral Princess). Also planning some additional land travel on our own to include additional family members (who will not be cruising). My family did a land only Alaska trip 5 years ago and did the 26 Glacier cruise with Phillips, which we loved. Now that we are doing a cruise I'm not sure if we should add this to our extra land portion or not. Some family members will only be land touring and not with us on the cruise so they will do it. But I'm not sure if us "cruisers" will see more of what we will see on the cruise. Thanks for any input.

Do you see the same or similar things on a cruise ship that you do on the one day 26 Glacier cruise out of Whittier? I am planning a cruise for this summer for my family as well as my 86 & 89 year old parents (probably Coral Princess). Also planning some additional land travel on our own to include additional family members (who will not be cruising). My family did a land only Alaska trip 5 years ago and did the 26 Glacier cruise with Phillips, which we loved. Now that we are doing a cruise I'm not sure if we should add this to our extra land portion or not. Some family members will only be land touring and not with us on the cruise so they will do it. But I'm not sure if us "cruisers" will see more of what we will see on the cruise. Thanks for any input.

Sorry, but your cruise ship, viewing is not nearly as good as a small boat tour. It sounds like you have already been on this tour? So not sure why the question? IF you wish to repeat it, then do so, if not, make some other great plans. What do YOU want to see and do?

Thanks for your response. I want my elderly parents to get to see all they can since this trip is their bucket list. I know what we saw but don't know what we will see at Hubbard or Glacier Bay. Not sure if we will be in glacier overload and should therefore do something else instead of this day cruise.

Thanks for your response. I want my elderly parents to get to see all they can since this trip is their bucket list. I know what we saw but don't know what we will see at Hubbard or Glacier Bay. Not sure if we will be in glacier overload and should therefore do something else instead of this day cruise.

There certainly are TOO many choices. :)

I might let the interests of your parents decide.

If you think they would appreciate this tour, the others can easily join on the Phillips cruise, or decide not to.

If you are looking at the Coral Princess... If I am remembering correctly... Northbound from Vancouver will cruise College Fjord, which might be some overlap with the longer 26 Glacier Cruise. In which case, you might consider a shorter Cruise thru Phillips or Major Marine.

Southbound from Whittier will cruise Hubbard Glacier, and not College Fjord.

I do not know the specifics, but I am thinking the logistics are very different for doing a tour from Whittier pre-cruise when on a Southbound, or post-cruise when on a Northbound.

For me, glaciers are part of our focus... And I always hear that it is a much different/better experience to be in a smaller craft where one can hope to get more up-front and personal with the glaciers. (and any possible wildlife) We are hoping to do the 26 Glacier tour when we cruise on the Coral, Southbound.