Cruising with 15 month baby -help!

tencruisersplusbaby

This is our second cruise but first time cruising with a baby. We are going as a group of 8 adults, 2 kids and 1baby. It's a 10 night cruise on RC from New Jersey (RC liberty) to Bermuda, st Thomas , st Martin and Puerto Rico. I've been researching things to bring plan to bring her stroller with the pumpkin seat that she has used since she was an infant . I'm kind of dreading all the stuff we will haul but if we take a taxi anywhere on the islands we will need that car seat, right ? Does anyone have any tips for cruising with a baby/ young toddler ? I plan to enjoy it and hope to be able to relax a little :) but any tips to make it easier would be great!

Bring her favorite toy, and if she has any munchies she loves, bring those as well. Also your brand of diapers if you are not taking advantage of the service (at a charge) from RCCL. Have your travel agent reserve a crib for her. Plan on many downtimes and enjoy your family vacation.

hi, what we did was check in a box of diapers with wipes in it, put luggage tag on it. That way, diapers didn't take up luggage, and we ditched the box for the trip back.

umbrella stroller yes, car seat, uh, most vans/shuttles don't have seatbelts for carseats. In four cruises with kid, we haven't brought a carseat. I don't know what a pumpkin seat is.

RCL has toy lending from the nursery and the had decent open house hours where you can play with her.

imo, entertaining littles is easier.

We didn't bring a ton of stuff: box of diapers with wipes in it (packed the few unused diapers, throw away the box)

umbrella stroller with visor and bag attached ($15 bru)

her bagpack of her favorite toys/stuffed friends. A few new treats to give her before dinner: color wonder markers, princess dolls, target dollar spot clearance toys/crafts. I made magnets for the back of the doors, kid loved standing and playing with them while we showered and got dressed.

a sippy cup

her blanket

We didn't use a crib at home, so didn't get one for the cabin. She cosleep at that time with me.

(keep in mind, there is LESS for her then what we bring for US.)

On the first morning I get extra snacks to keep in the room: milk boxes, cheerios (boxed cereal), whole fruit (apple/banana), I also had a few fruit/veggies pouches for on shore snacks (YOu can't take the fruit off, but anything packaged you can, so boxed cereal and pouches are perfect!)

Tips. be flexible, and know your kid. Mine slept more (two naps at 14 months) and ate more on her first 2 cruises. Now, the last two, she needed MORE downtime than I expected (downtime for her is just playing in the cabin by herself) and well, she only like 'good' food so her diet on the RCL and CCL was carbs, fruit, & milk during the day, and maybe seafood if it was good for dinner. She doesn't eat frozen processed nuggets or fake/processed foods.

I lost my edit.

We do/did MDR for all meals (Mine on CCL as MDR isn't open for lunch-so we did room service most days). MDR is easier, imo, and I'd rather someone serve me than dealing with carrying/watching dd and trying to get a table/food/drinks/silverware.

For dinner, I'd review the menu before hand. Dh would go down and order. He'd texted me when food was ready, dd and I would then head down. If dd got fussy between courses, dh would take her for a walk. After main meal, dh took dd and I stayed to enjoy dessert and coffee. This worked perfectly for us. Gave me time to myself, gave dd time with daddy and she wasn't 'stuck' at the table for 1.5-2hrs.

Last two cruises with dd, I just brought stuff for her to play with while we waited for dinner, then after dinner dh took her to walk around/back to the room. (I'm not mean enough to eat dessert in front of my kid and tell her she can't have any. Dinner ends too close to bedtime for her to have dessert. we tried once...:eek:)

hi, what we did was check in a box of diapers with wipes in it, put luggage tag on it. That way, diapers didn't take up luggage, and we ditched the box for the trip back.

umbrella stroller yes, car seat, uh, most vans/shuttles don't have seatbelts for carseats. In four cruises with kid, we haven't brought a carseat. I don't know what a pumpkin seat is.

RCL has toy lending from the nursery and the had decent open house hours where you can play with her.

imo, entertaining littles is easier.

We didn't bring a ton of stuff: box of diapers with wipes in it (packed the few unused diapers, throw away the box)

umbrella stroller with visor and bag attached ($15 bru)

her bagpack of her favorite toys/stuffed friends. A few new treats to give her before dinner: color wonder markers, princess dolls, target dollar spot clearance toys/crafts. I made magnets for the back of the doors, kid loved standing and playing with them while we showered and got dressed.

a sippy cup

her blanket

We didn't use a crib at home, so didn't get one for the cabin. She cosleep at that time with me.

(keep in mind, there is LESS for her then what we bring for US.)

On the first morning I get extra snacks to keep in the room: milk boxes, cheerios (boxed cereal), whole fruit (apple/banana), I also had a few fruit/veggies pouches for on shore snacks (YOu can't take the fruit off, but anything packaged you can, so boxed cereal and pouches are perfect!)

Tips. be flexible, and know your kid. Mine slept more (two naps at 14 months) and ate more on her first 2 cruises. Now, the last two, she needed MORE downtime than I expected (downtime for her is just playing in the cabin by herself) and well, she only like 'good' food so her diet on the RCL and CCL was carbs, fruit, & milk during the day, and maybe seafood if it was good for dinner. She doesn't eat frozen processed nuggets or fake/processed foods.

Thank you! What I am calling a pumpkin seat is the infant seat (up to 30 lbs) that came with her stroller. We put in on a base but it can be strapped in. So you are saying you were able to do without the car seat? Did you do excursions or ride the bus and just hold your little one?

Thank you! What I am calling a pumpkin seat is the infant seat (up to 30 lbs) that came with her stroller. We put in on a base but it can be strapped in. So you are saying you were able to do without the car seat? Did you do excursions or ride the bus and just hold your little one?

ah! we didn't use the infant seat or the travel stroller. I bought a cheap $15 umbrella stroller for the cruise. It's held up, no issues, through 4 cruises and 3 summers of farmer's markets. This is what we use: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=47135116&cp=2255957.2273443.2255983.2256189.2256203&parentPage=family

I'm trying to think back... I know in Grand Caymen we took a taxi van to the beach. not a car, but a van with other people. You pay pp, they fill up the van then head out.

And I know we did an excursion in Key West (not sure if those were the same cruise :eek: ). In key west, we went to the butterfly place and aquarium. I think she was 2 that time. A carseat wasn't required.

For the shuttle from parking to port, she sat in my lap. Same with the tender to Grand Cayman, and the van ride. I don't recall there being seatbelts.

imo, the shuttles/van taxis don't really go fast or far enough to be a concern, plus, most don't have (working or any) seatbelts. (keep in mind my 4 year old is still rearfacing, so I do care about carseat safety). If we were renting/using a car, then yes, I'd bring one.

Imo, the travel stroller would be a hassle. UNLESS your baby sleeps in the stroller, then I can see it's use (mine doesn't really). You don't have much room in the hallways, there's typically the room steward cart and other people walking.

I guess it depends on which excursions you're wanting to do, as far as transportation. Most water ones (like the bottomless boat, or snorkeling) meet at the pier, then walk to the boat. The shuttles/vans taking you to beaches/shopping/tours, don't tend to have a way to secure the carseat.

Now, if you actually carry your baby around in the carrier, then you may want to bring it. But I can't see a 14 month old still saying in one, or being able to carry one.

I'm honestly not sure what the car seat laws are in Puerto Rico, but in general in the islands it is not mandatory to use car seats. We chose to bring one, since my son sleeps well on planes in a car seat. I arranged transportation ahead of time in all of the ports. If you do this, please notify them that your child needs an extra seat because of the car seat (we wound up a seat short on one excursion, and they would have sent a larger van for our group of 4 adults and one baby if they'd known we had a car seat in advance). If you don't arrange for transportation ahead of time, you may have to wait awhile until a cab comes with seatbelts so you can install the car seat. Other people choose to take ship excursions, since they generally go in large buses that don't require car seats. That would be my least favorite option with kids, since I like to have the freedom to return to the ship or change our plans based upon my kid's interests and mood that I can have with a private tour of just our family (plus, even a private tour just for my family winds up being cheaper than most ship tours, and I don't have to worry about my kid ruining anyone else's excursions).

If you're flying (which I guess you are), you can get there a day or two early and shop for diapers, etc., there (bring enough for the flight).

We took our daughter on her first cruise at 23 months, but we didn't do any excursions -- we got off the ship in the one port to stretch our legs but didn't go into the port itself. That cruise was about introducing her to cruising and for us to relax, and not about the port (which we've been to before and not one I like anyway).

There are strong feelings on both sides of the car seat issue. Frankly, bringing the car seat is nonnegotiable for us. We did buy a cheap lightweight Cosco Scenera from Walmart for about $40. It's great for cruising and easy to install. Practice at home so you're a pro. We've never had problems finding a van/taxi with seatbelts.

The only other things we brought were her pillow, blanket, doll, bedtime story and dollar store items to entertain her at dinner.

*If you're only going on large buses or motor coaches, you can skip bringing the car seat.

Have a great trip!

I would second the main dining room recommendation. We find the MDR so much easier than the buffet. Just be ready to get up and leave if you have too.

At that age we would bring several hard plastic toys that could be used everywhere...i.e the dinner table, in the bath tub, at the beach, in the splash pools, etc.

RC does have some toys you can check out from the kids club area, they were mainly fisher price toys when we did it.

If she is old enough to color/draw and you have a balcony room, we always bring dry erase markers. They work on the plexi glass and it gives them a fun activity to do on the balcony while you soak up some rays.

We also usually "skip" one port and just stay on the ship. With everyone off doing excursions, spaces get wide open and you can let them have some freedom to run around. The sport court is usually wide open during port days and great for letting them run.

Cruising with a toddler is different. Not worse, just a different than vacationing pre kids.

I forgot to mention that if you choose to bring a car seat, you may be able to use a mommy hook to attach your carseat to your rolling carry on luggage. They sell a strap system to attach carseats to luggage, but it didn't work with our carseat/luggage combination. If you are able to use a mommy hook (or have better luck with the strap) you can roll the car seat through the airport, where it won't be as much of a pain to deal with.

I understand you don't actually need them in any of the islands but how would you transport toddler/baby from airport to port without a car seat? We'll be going out of Miami.

we drive to port, so I can't answer that question. If we flew, we'd have her carseat for the flight, then the transfer.

Last week, dh dropped us off at the River Walk, then he handled the parking/luggage issues. We never got into the shuttle, just walked from River Walk to the ship. :D

Since you're flying, I assume baby has own seat, and already has carseat with you, thus you can use for airport to port transfer, depending on the transportation type. I know we took a normal cab when we flew to Miami, but that was before kid.

I would second the main dining room recommendation. We find the MDR so much easier than the buffet. Just be ready to get up and leave if you have too.

At that age we would bring several hard plastic toys that could be used everywhere...i.e the dinner table, in the bath tub, at the beach, in the splash pools, etc.

RC does have some toys you can check out from the kids club area, they were mainly fisher price toys when we did it.

If she is old enough to color/draw and you have a balcony room, we always bring dry erase markers. They work on the plexi glass and it gives them a fun activity to do on the balcony while you soak up some rays.

We also usually "skip" one port and just stay on the ship. With everyone off doing excursions, spaces get wide open and you can let them have some freedom to run around. The sport court is usually wide open during port days and great for letting them run.

Cruising with a toddler is different. Not worse, just a different than vacationing pre kids.

OOO I Love this idea! I never thought of it before. I bring color wonder paper (since I limit it at home, due to price), the dry erase markers would be fun.