The best thing to give the islanders...

Road Warrior

Clothing. We now pack a lot of (and extra) clothes and give them away to the poorly dressed islanders we see. Anything is appreciated;) . Here is how I found out about it: We were in Dominica and some cruisers were tossing coins off the gang plank and watching the natives dive for them. I noticed one boy was wearing a ratty looking pair of underpants with a piece of cloth stuffed in it for modesty. I gathered up all my kids dirty and older clothing and some of my own (T-Shirts, shorts, etc.) and started walking off the gang plank. They saw me walking off with the clothes and immediately swam to shore to catch up with me. Almost caused a near riot. The one boy got a pair of shorts and my Dallas Cowboys T-Shirt (never saw such a wider smile! will never forget it).

Another thing we always bring...We go to Sam's before the cruise and buy 2-3 boxes of Herseys Chocolate Bars and take them with us. Pass them out to the kids you see on the islands. You'll never forget their appreciative Thank-You's!

• 2 weeks later...
Clothing. We now pack a lot of (and extra) clothes and give them away to the poorly dressed islanders we see. Anything is appreciated;) . Here is how I found out about it: We were in Dominica and some cruisers were tossing coins off the gang plank and watching the natives dive for them. I noticed one boy was wearing a ratty looking pair of underpants with a piece of cloth stuffed in it for modesty. I gathered up all my kids dirty and older clothing and some of my own (T-Shirts, shorts, etc.) and started walking off the gang plank. They saw me walking off with the clothes and immediately swam to shore to catch up with me. Almost caused a near riot. The one boy got a pair of shorts and my Dallas Cowboys T-Shirt (never saw such a wider smile! will never forget it).

Another thing we always bring...We go to Sam's before the cruise and buy 2-3 boxes of Herseys Chocolate Bars and take them with us. Pass them out to the kids you see on the islands. You'll never forget their appreciative Thank-You's!

Yes, it's hard to come to grips with such poverty; a heartbreaking aspect of any travel. Yours is a very thoughtful gesture (and it frees up room for return goodies.) Children diving for coins may be charming to some, but I find it a buzz kill.

Hi!

Not saying this is even close to the same thing, but my husband grew up on Cape Cod and spent his summers in Provincetown. They use to go to the wharf and dive for coins the tourist would throw. They use to shout to the tourist "no coppa" (that's no copper in 'normal english'!:D) They had a blast!!! It is some of his fondest memories!! So keep throwing those coins, I'm sure they really need them there, but those children are also having the time of their lives!!

Barbara :D

Hey Road Warrior. This is my first cruise and I am terribly excited. It is a five day cruise and we are stopping at Costa Maya and Cozumel. We are doing the Sea Lion and Dolphin swim at Cozumel but in Costa Maya we have no big plans. My husband, MinnesotaMan, is wanting to go to some of the schools in Costa Maya and bring some school supplies and New Testaments but the clothes are a great idea. Have you heard of any problems with bringing stuff for the islanders? Anyone else out there with any ideas?

Hey Road Warrior. This is my first cruise and I am terribly excited. It is a five day cruise and we are stopping at Costa Maya and Cozumel. We are doing the Sea Lion and Dolphin swim at Cozumel but in Costa Maya we have no big plans. My husband, MinnesotaMan, is wanting to go to some of the schools in Costa Maya and bring some school supplies and New Testaments but the clothes are a great idea. Have you heard of any problems with bringing stuff for the islanders? Anyone else out there with any ideas?

There is nothing in Costa Maya. I just spent 4 days there when our cruise ship hit the pier and we had to wait for repairs.

It is a "made up" port. Everyone comes in when the cruise ship is in port (one or two days a week), and then they leave again. The first day we were there, they had some tours and all the shops were open, but there is no town or hotels or anything else. Even the "fishing village" closed after our second day.

So, while the gesture is a good one, Costa Maya isn't a place like the ones we are used to on the Islands. Maybe if you gave things to the natives there, they'd take it back home with them...not sure about that.

• 3 weeks later...
and keep your first world arrogance, your Bibles, and your old clothes at home.

And leave the candy bars at home as well, unless you know they have access to dental care. There are no dentists on Fanning Island.

There is a little school house in Costa Maya. We were there Sept. 04 and a couple on the ship brought school supplies to them. I only wish I had known about it. Next time it will be on my agenda.~~;)

It makes me happy that fellow cruisers are concerned about the welfare of the islands they are visiting. But please be thoughtful about your giving, and if possible, seek out an organized charity to donate to instead of giving handouts that may or may not help the people that live in the Caribbean.

You can go here to visit reputable charities: http://www.charitynavigator.org/

Happy sails, and aren't we all so lucky?

I've heard that some folks would bring some of their clothes and leave it behind for the crew. Do they have a need? Or will they have to turn it in as "lost and found" if there's not note?

Since we went to Alaska, we don't really have an opportunity to give anything away to improvished "natives" but was just wondering about the crew, such as children's clothing... obviously, not with holes and stains, but maybe stuff that are in good condition but going to be outgrown soon.

I will remember about bring stuff to give out if we go again to places with a need.

I've heard that some folks would bring some of their clothes and leave it behind for the crew. Do they have a need? Or will they have to turn it in as "lost and found" if there's not note?

Since we went to Alaska, we don't really have an opportunity to give anything away to improvished "natives" but was just wondering about the crew, such as children's clothing... obviously, not with holes and stains, but maybe stuff that are in good condition but going to be outgrown soon.

I will remember about bring stuff to give out if we go again to places with a need.

Let's have more respect for the crew than to leave them used clothing!! :eek: Cash is an acceptable offering!!!

Let's have more respect for the crew than to leave them used clothing!! :eek: Cash is an acceptable offering!!!

This would be additional to the cash, not in lieu of, and I did mention it was in good condition (for example, my FIL gave $100 additional to the suggested tip to his stateroom attendents). If I were in a third world country, and things were so bad that I had to leave my family and home for 6-8 months at at time to earn a better living, I doubt I would turn down nice clothes. I don't know a whole lot of people who buy new clothes to give away to people they don't really know.

• 6 years later...
and keep your first world arrogance, your bibles, and your old clothes at home.

I'm with you if you want to give them anything give them CASH. What a big set of brass stones to think your old dirty clothes make a nice gift to some poor islander.

Archived