Tabyana beach snorkeling & weak/non-swimmers

Fairway Cruiser

Can anyone share information on whether "weak or non-swimmers" would be able to see anything snorkeling from the beach? Or, are the life vests that they rent there substantial enough for a non-swimmer to feel safe? I've read that the guides would "tow" you out with you holding onto their kayak, so you wouldn't have to swim. If a non-swimmer had a safe life preserver, it would appear they would be able to possibly experience at least a small taste of what snorkeling is like. Any thoughts/information will be much appreciated!

A post in another thread has this to say

A few things I preferred:

• We did just the Tabyana Beach Party excursion, so we rented snorkel gear from the private dive shop adjacent to the beach. It was cheaper and we didn't feel tied down.
  • Those dive shop employees would also go out with you and show you some great things if you asked. In fact, we didn't ask, they offered. Obviously they are angling for tips, but it was definitely worth it.

I have seen those guys take people out with a lifesaver ring. Perhaps that would be the thing to do. Help a local feed his family and see some cool stuff in safety.

WE had our toddlers out there in front of the Tabyana/Grand Roatan area and they are so-so swimmers and they got to see a lot out there. We actually saw some turtles. Very easy there on a average day. My wife isn't a good swimmer at all, hardly at all except the doggy paddle (lol), and she got to see some things. Really enjoy West Bay Beach.

There are people out there with kayaks to show you some things too.

DD is a doggy paddler kind of swimmer. She was able to get out and see a fair share of items. If it is a non swimmer or very weak swimmer I would have them in a life vest of sorts. They should do just fine if they feel comfortable. Some of the places on the beach have floats that you can rent and it has clear plastic so you can see the water below.

• 1 month later...