Insurance, Cancel, or Pray for the best

Hoosier2ram

I submitted a deposit for a NCL cruise from LA to Mexico departing Nov. 29 and returning Dec. 6. I also recently learned about El nino and the potential impact to Southern California and the Mexican Riviera. However, it's not cerntain that heavy rains are a given nor when they may start. So my question to this community is this, do I a) proceed ahead and hope for the best, b) cancel and plan another vacation better suited for adverse weather, or c) pay $550 for "cancel for any reason" insurance to receive 90% of the total fare ($3,200).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Brandon

You should go on your trip and not worry about the weather. El Nino has been blown way out of proportion by the media. We've all been through this before.

Just for reference, this year's El Nino is being compared most often to the 1983/84 conditions. In that year, we had 18.5 inches of rain in San Diego; which is a bit less than double the normal rainfall.

During an average year, in November, we get about 1 inch of rain spread over 4 days. That doesn't mean it rains from dawn to dusk. Most "rainy days" are actually more dry than wet.

Suppose the worst happened during your vacation, and we had double the average for the month and it all fell during that one week. That would be 2 inches of rain. How does that compare to what the likely weather if you stay at home?

I would worry more about an accident say on some excursion or even roll down the ships stairs... the medical part of it provides peace of mind out of country and even if it shortened the cruise you may receive some refund depending on insurance bought.