Taking meds to Japan

travellovers2

I'm all set for our cruise in October, except for one thing: medications!! I read that you cannot take Sudafed into Japan, but what about Xanax? I take .05 to board the planes because I'm claustrophobic. If I take a bottle with my name on it will that be a problem?

All the other ones we take are OTC like Tylenol, Benadryl, Imodium, Cough Syrup and Alka Seltzer Plus. They come in handy. Last month my husband got sick in Spain and it was good to have the decongestant.

I don't like to buy meds in other countries. I'm allergic to some meds and I cannot imagine trying to figure that out in Japanese. :eek:

What has been your experience with taking your meds to Japan?

I, too, would like to know about taking meds to Japan and China. Just thinking of applying for the China visa is making me nervous.

Do we really have to have an explanation from our doctor for the reason we are taking certain medications? I can see having a copy of each prescription so that's no problem.

sassy... I asked someone in the japanese embassy and they said that you dont need to take any paperwork as long as you only take the amount of medicine you need for the time you will be there. In my case, two weeks. They did send me a list of the medications you are not allowed to take. You can find that information on their website.

I, too, would like to know about taking meds to Japan and China. Just thinking of applying for the China visa is making me nervous.

Do we really have to have an explanation from our doctor for the reason we are taking certain medications? I can see having a copy of each prescription so that's no problem.

Went to China in the last 2 years. I take over 20 RX and carried all the meds that I have over the counter (pepto -bismal, Tylenol, skin creams, decongestant etc.) not a problem. Also flew domestic (and by ourselves without a guide) twice and no problem at all. The Chinese were kind and efficient and the airports were well marked. With our guide in Beijing and Xian we had wonderful trip.

For the Chinese visa. Get the rules and follow them. We live in DC area and went to the visa office ourselves. Long lines to wait in but very efficient -- just lots of people with lots of "situations!"/ Leave plenty of time to wait if going in person or lots of time for the professional waiter (courier) to do the paperwork . I heard lots of people "explaining" and most got not too far. Matter of fact NO even when "I'm leaving tomorrow!" Allow time, follow instructions to the letter, get it to a visa service early and you will not have a problem (at least for us and we did have a person with us with "issues maybe" -- this is a town where a worker can have red flags in their records). Don't put it off --get your visa. Oh and if you are running short of pages in passport file for new pages. Need 2 empty pages next to each other.

Bowie MeMe,

Thanks for the information. We'll be staying in Beijing two nights but will then return to the ship and will be in Shanghai three nights after the cruise ends. I usually take a few day's worth of extra meds with me in case of emergencies.

We got new passports last year so there is no problem with two pages together.

Thanks again.