New York Mall

VernonFaber

Hi,

We are doing back-to-back, Southampton - New York - Southampton, on QM2 in November. We have been to New York few times and done the tourist things. So we would like to go to a mall for a few hours, maybe have lunch, can anyone suggest a nice Mall near the cruise terminal.

Thanks,

Steve

Have you walked across the bridge? A great experience, easy to couple with a one-way subway ride and also shopping! The Brooklyn Heights neighborhood just south of the bridge is historic and somewhat charming, plenty of retail and eateries. Another good shopping street is Montague.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I suggest you check the Cunard excursions. They have a number for NYC, and I noticed one that goes to Woodbury Commons, which is actually outside the city. It is a "premium outlet mall" which has a number of stores from big name merchants who sell over stock items, end of season items ( and watch out for this) good made especially for these stores. They have excellent prices, take credit cards, and the ship will not sail until your motor coach returns (unlike self organized tours). check Cunard Excursions NYC and Woodbury common.

Just to mention that the bus ride to Woodbury Commons takes about 1.5 hours from Red Hook, depending on traffic - about 2 1/2 - 3 hours round trip. Personally, I wouldn't attempt it any other way than a Cunard tour if I had to be back to the ship at set time, but there are buses available from NYC.

BTW, the same company (Simmons) runs outlets in various locations in the US and Internationally so you might already be familiar with the operation, although I suppose the merchandise differs by location. (I have no personal experience - despite being a New Yorker, I've never been to Woodbury Commons.)

Here is the website: http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=7

If you're interested in transport other than a Cunard tour, click on the "Transportation" heading.

Edited by Salacia

I suggest you check the Cunard excursions. They have a number for NYC, and I noticed one that goes to Woodbury Commons, which is actually outside the city. It is a "premium outlet mall" which has a number of stores from big name merchants who sell over stock items, end of season items ( and watch out for this) good made especially for these stores. They have excellent prices, take credit cards, and the ship will not sail until your motor coach returns (unlike self organized tours). check Cunard Excursions NYC and Woodbury common.

We were wondering about Woodbury but the excursion isn't there anymore, in fact none of them are except for NY Highlights!

I found this information today on the Cunard site. "Woodbury Common Shopping Outlet

Take a trip to Woodbury Common for the ultimate in retail therapy.

HIDE

Woodbury Common Shopping Outlet

Located around 1 - 1½ hours drive from New York in Central Valley is Woodbury Common, one of the most popular premium outlets with named brands offering savings of up to 25% - 65%. It is said to be one of the world’s largest collection of designer outlets.

Upon arrival, you’ll have around 3½ - 4 hours to ‘shop till you drop’. Stroll through the charming Colonial American village setting and visit more than 220 outlet stores which include names such as Diesel, Giorgio Armani, Gap, Miss Sixty, Nike Factory Store, Polo Ralph Lauren Factory Store, Versace, Adidas, and many more. "

To find the listings, go to the excursions tab on the Cunard site, click on the "destinations" underlined word in the text, which will take you to regions click on Transatlantic USA Canada, then in the ports we visit, click New York and it lists 14 possibilities among them Woodbury Common.

Now having said that, perhaps they will not offer the excursion on the day you will be in NYC. Have you looked in the voyage personalizer?

I hope this helps. Mike

Edited by Bigmike911

Thanks Mike, that's what we initially saw but now, for the 12th November B2B, only NY Highlights is showing up in my personaliser

I don't know if this has any bearing on the Cunard tour being unavailable, but here is a local report of the construction going on in Woodbury Commons http://www.recordonline.com/article/20141023/News/141029788

Edited by Salacia