Cruise has overnight in Honolulu - Rental Car Questions

utahtea

Hi,

I searched for my answers but could only find info that was 5 years old so I thought I'd ask again.

We will be on a cruise in early October that overnights in Honolulu. (Yeah..since this will be the first time on Oahu!!) We get in at 7 am on a Wednesday morning and we want to rent a car that day. I wanted to know if Thrifty or any other rental agencies still have a free shuttle pick up and return to the dock. Is there overnight parking or would it be better to just return in the evening?

Would love to hear about other peoples experiences with this.

Thank you in advance.

Utahtea

Hi,

I searched for my answers but could only find info that was 5 years old so I thought I'd ask again.

We will be on a cruise in early October that overnights in Honolulu. (Yeah..since this will be the first time on Oahu!!) We get in at 7 am on a Wednesday morning and we want to rent a car that day. I wanted to know if Thrifty or any other rental agencies still have a free shuttle pick up and return to the dock. Is there overnight parking or would it be better to just return in the evening?

Would love to hear about other peoples experiences with this.

Thank you in advance.

Utahtea

No shuttle p/u for Oahu. You would have to go to the airport or Waikiki.

What are you wanting to do?

As for parking depends what day of the week your coming in as the pier is located in the financial district and the meter maids just love to ticket the elite, if your a weekend its quiet as hell and no worries about getting parking.

Also not sure if your taking luggage with you to the car as theft is a major problem in lots near the pier and tourist spots, you need to make sure all your luggage will fit in car trunk.

No shuttle p/u for Oahu. You would have to go to the airport or Waikiki.

What are you wanting to do?

As for parking depends what day of the week your coming in as the pier is located in the financial district and the meter maids just love to ticket the elite, if your a weekend its quiet as hell and no worries about getting parking.

Also not sure if your taking luggage with you to the car as theft is a major problem in lots near the pier and tourist spots, you need to make sure all your luggage will fit in car trunk.

Hi FranknBeans,

We will be there on a Wednesday and Thursday. We only need the parking in the evening while we are aboard the ship for the night.

Our plan is to drive around the whole island and explore. I haven't studied my "Oahu Revealed" book yet, but we loved the "Maui" and "Big Island Revealed" books the last time we were in Hawaii.

We won't have any luggage. We will take our backpack & camera with us every time we park the vehicle.

Thanks for the reply.

Utahtea

Click on the link below for Honolulu.

http://www.hawaiicruisecars.com/

Enterprise always does pick up, Dollar and Thrifty have shuttles.

That was very helpful. Just a heads up to anyone who uses that link. We found that the date we wanted with one of the rental places said they were booked for the day we wanted. When I went right to the rental place's web site they had plenty of vehicles available.

Thank you!

Utahtea

• 5 weeks later...

How about any current suggestions for parking in the area? We are looking at doing the same thing by renting a car for the overnight stay in HNL but would like to see if we can get parking close to the port. I have searched and come up pretty empty handed except Aloha Tower but there is conflicting info about there and overnight stays on weekends.

How about any current suggestions for parking in the area? We are looking at doing the same thing by renting a car for the overnight stay in HNL but would like to see if we can get parking close to the port. I have searched and come up pretty empty handed except Aloha Tower but there is conflicting info about there and overnight stays on weekends.

We won't be in Honolulu until early Oct. 2016, but I'd be happy to come back and let you know what I find if you are sailing after us.

Utahtea

We won't be in Honolulu until early Oct. 2016, but I'd be happy to come back and let you know what I find if you are sailing after us.

Utahtea

We are there in 2 weeks so trying to find out. I did look at one of the sites after posting this. I was able to see that there are 2 lots about a minute walk away that operate 24/7. I phoned one but wasnt able to understand the lady so I might call back tomorrow during the week to see if I can chat with someone else.

It the second place I saw is correct on their website, they say weekends are $3 for the day. I am not sure if when it reached midnight if it goes over to a second day but if thats the case, $6 isnt bad. I will keep looking into it

We are there in 2 weeks so trying to find out. I did look at one of the sites after posting this. I was able to see that there are 2 lots about a minute walk away that operate 24/7. I phoned one but wasnt able to understand the lady so I might call back tomorrow during the week to see if I can chat with someone else.

It the second place I saw is correct on their website, they say weekends are $3 for the day. I am not sure if when it reached midnight if it goes over to a second day but if thats the case, $6 isnt bad. I will keep looking into it

I'd appreciate it if you came back and let me know how it went since you will there first.

Have a great cruise!

Utahtea

I have sent the info I found to my dad to ultimately make a decision on what we are doing (to rent overnight or not). If we do though, I was able to locate a parkade which is about 0.3 miles walking distance from our planned pier. Because we are overnighting Sat to Sun there are no issues parking overnight they said and it will be $6. I am not sure if there would be issues on a weekday. It's located at 155 Ala Moana Drive.

I have found the following locations, I probably will call & confirm some of this info. 2 locations not too far from the port, depends on the terminal.

http://www.parkingattheport.com/honolulu-cruise-port/

Gene