Santa Barbara and Ensenada on Princess, or Astoria and San Francisco on Norwegian?

Which cruise would you select?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which cruise would you select?

• NORWEGIAN PEARL: Vancouver-Astoria-San Francisco-Los Angeles
    • GOLDEN PRINCESS: Los Angeles-Santa Barbara-Ensenada-Los Angeles

Hello:

I'm torn between the following 2 itineraries:

- Golden Princess roundtrip from Los Angeles visiting Santa Barbara and Ensenada.

- Norwegian Pearl one way from Vancouver visiting Astoria and San Francisco and finishing in Los Angeles.

About us:

- We've cruised extensively, although we have limited exposure to Pacific coast cruising.

- We've never been to Astoria or Santa Barbara.

- Have only been to Vancouver for business.

- Its been 15+ years since the last time I visited Los Angeles, San Francisco or Ensenada on vacation.

- We've never sailed on Princess or Norwegian.

Price will be similar, but we'll be in a mini suite on the Golden Princess and a standard balcony on the Norwegian Pearl.

Maybe I'm completely off, but from what I've read, it seems as if the Norwegian Pearl's itinerary is the better one, but I also feel as if the Golden Princess is the better ship.

Any feedback or information that can either confirm or rebuke my observations, and hopefully assist us make a decision, will be greatly appreciated. :)

Hi Tapi,

I believe the Golden is a 4 day itinerary RT our of SP. Is the Pearl also 4 day? All of the mentioned ports are nice. Astoria is small, as stated above. I recall relaxing in town and walking up to the Astoria tower on top of a hill with a wonderful view. Ensenada is nice, but not great in my opinion.

I don't know where you are coming from and how much time you have to spend, but the Pearl itinerary gives you the option to spend a few days in Vancouver before the cruise. There is a lot to do in Vancouver. SF is also a great city to visit. This is the itinerary I would choose.

Rick

• 1 month later...

I agree with your thoughts. I really enjoyed the Pearl, but would probably pick Princess over Norwegian for the style of service which is provided.

However, my preferred route of the two you listed would be the Vancouver to Los Angeles.

We really enjoyed our time in Astoria. It is smaller than Santa Barbara, but I really enjoyed the Maritime Museum in Astoria, and we did a fun excursion which included a stop at the Baked Alaska restaurant for a cooking demonstration and wine tasting.

A real highlight of San Francisco is coming in under the Golden Gate Bridge and then touring the city.

Please let us know which one you decide on.

[quote name=Tapi;43016061

Maybe I'm completely off' date=' but from what I've read, it seems as if the Norwegian Pearl's itinerary is the better one, but I also feel as if the Golden Princess is the better ship.

[/quote]

One other thought.... The Ensenada/Santa Barbara itinerary may have more of a "party" or "booze cruise" atmosphere about it. I would definitely research the Princess boards on CruiseCritic to see if that is the case or not.

I've enjoyed the coastal repositioning cruises (LA/Vancouver) and people on board seem to be more attracted by the idea of some quiet time at sea, rather than a party environment.

One other thought.... The Ensenada/Santa Barbara itinerary may have more of a "party" or "booze cruise" atmosphere about it. I would definitely research the Princess boards on CruiseCritic to see if that is the case or not.

I've enjoyed the coastal repositioning cruises (LA/Vancouver) and people on board seem to be more attracted by the idea of some quiet time at sea, rather than a party environment.

Not on Princess, especially a four day West Coast cruise. Those, even on Carnival, are rarely have the debauchery of a stereotypical summer, weekend 3day, short cruise.

It's hard to choose. Really like Astoria. There is a great firehouse museum there, and the Maritime museum is wonderful. The trolley is fun to ride, especially when they 'turn'.

I'll assume this is for September, the end of Alaska season.

Weather can be a concern. Even though Astoria is a docked port is can be missed if the weather or currents aren't good. The Columbia River Bar can be a nasty area for ships. (The Coast Guard does roll-over training there, kindof gives you an idea of the currents.) Going southbound you will be going with the current, so it will be smoother.

In San Pedro you will be close to the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach. Lots of fun with little ones. Santa Barbara is a tender port. Ensenada is a city. The tourist area is decent.

Edited by SadieN

Not on Princess, especially a four day West Coast cruise. Those, even on Carnival, are rarely have the debauchery of a stereotypical summer, weekend 3day, short cruise.

Thanks for the clarification that this would not be a party cruise. I did the LA/Ensenada three-day weekend on Carnival years back, and it was a "booze cruise" which was not much fun.

• 3 weeks later...

We took the Pacific Coastal on NCL last year (longer itinerary) and loved it. We always enjoy San Francisco (Fisherman's Wharf, the Cannery, the cablecars, and Chinatown). This time we went to the Ferry Boat Building and California Academy of the Sciences in Golden Gate Park. We took a taxi back, and since we were the last fare, the driver took us past other sites on the way back to Fisherman's Wharf and talked a lot.

We visited Astoria a few years ago after going to Portland and Cannon Beach and fell in love with it. We were glad to be able to see it again last year. There is a lot of excitement on the part of the merchants when the ship comes in. It's a very vintage town with some Victorian houses, circa 1900's buildings, and interesting shops and restaurants. There are docents at the restored Liberty Theater, and there's an awesome panoramic view from Astoria Column.

I haven't been on Princess, but I think NCL and the passengers are very casual. Instead of a formal night there was a dress up or not night. There was also a White Hot (dance) night. The crew was very friendly and professional and each department went all out. Our cabin had nice wood finishes.

I think Princess would be very nice too. I love Santa Barbara, but I like the other itinerary better (unless I could only do a 3 day cruise).