Seabourn Quest Ft. Lauderdale to Buenos Aires

smmmarti

If you are on this cruise, I wanted to ask about which immunizations you have received. I am getting mixed messages about what is prudent. It appears none are required but I'm a little anxious given the recent WHO news.

I would suggest you (from the USA) should visit the CDC travellers website here.

The one thing you will not see listed is any sort of immunisation against Ebola virus, as this does not exist.

Whether or not you need malaria prophylaxis will depend if you are travelling into an endemic area. We sailed on Quest to Recife, Maceio and Rio, and then stayed there for a few days, and did not require anti-malarial treatment. Next spring (in our hemisphere!) we will be sailing on the Quest again from Manaus, down the Amazon and up via French Guyana, and on to FLL. We will take malaria prophylaxis for this trip, for the Amazon portion, not the Caribbean / USA or subsequent TA of course!

Edited by CraftyEC

I meant to add (but too late to edit!) that the other risk to consider is of Dengue fever. There are no immunisations for this, but it is wise to take measures to avoid mosquito bites - covering up and using appropriate anti-mosquito bite preparations.

None of this (and knowledge of the more severe complications of such illnesses - we are both physicians) would stop me travelling in this area. The risks remain small, we will take appropriate precautions, including immunisation where indicated, and will continue to be aware of the risks if we develop any unexpected symptoms following our return home.

Safe travels!

I would suggest you (from the USA) should visit the CDC travellers website here.

The one thing you will not see listed is any sort of immunisation against Ebola virus, as this does not exist.

Whether or not you need malaria prophylaxis will depend if you are travelling into an endemic area. We sailed on Quest to Recife, Maceio and Rio, and then stayed there for a few days, and did not require anti-malarial treatment. Next spring (in our hemisphere!) we will be sailing on the Quest again from Manaus, down the Amazon and up via French Guyana, and on to FLL. We will take malaria prophylaxis for this trip, for the Amazon portion, not the Caribbean / USA or subsequent TA of course!

We will also be on the Quest cruise out of Manaus in March 2015. I hadn't considered getting a Malaria vaccination. Perhaps I should.

Yikes

We will also be on the Quest cruise out of Manaus in March 2015. I hadn't considered getting a Malaria vaccination. Perhaps I should.

Yikes

There is no vaccine. It's a matter of taking medication before entering the zone where malaria is endemic, during your time there and for a short while afterwards. There are a number of regimes available, all have advantages and disadvantages.

Again, I would suggest looking at the CDC website - link is in my post above. You will find a map showing that malaria is endemic in the Amazonas area. We have looked at this and have taken the decision to take appropriate prophylactic medication. I have, over the years, seen more than a few cases of malaria in travellers who didn't feel it necessary, or in students who had lost their 'natural immunity' while away from their home country who became infected when they returned over their vacation time.

• 2 weeks later...
If you are on this cruise, I wanted to ask about which immunizations you have received. I am getting mixed messages about what is prudent. It appears none are required but I'm a little anxious given the recent WHO news.

Ask your doctor, but Gammaglabulin (spelling??) is one my doc recommends.

Ask your doctor, but Gammaglabulin (spelling??) is one my doc recommends.

Gamma globulins are actually a class of proteins. In the context of immunisation they usually refer to immunisation against Hepatitis A (although sometimes measles) and it certainly would be a good idea to be immunised against this, it is an unpleasant, and potentially very serious illness. However, it's not usual to use gamma globulin (except sometimes post-exposure) and vaccination with an inactivated virus or a live attenuated virus is the usual way. The term 'gamma globulin' in this context is very old-fashioned!

As I've said, have a look on the CDC website - the page for Brazil is here, you can also check for other ports / destinations. Then consult with your physician / travel clinic nurse.

For those of us in the UK your practice nurse will be able to help you. For information to help you make your choice this is the appropriate NHS website.

Hope that helps someone!

We did Buenos Aires to Manaus last spring. I would certainly recommend Malaria prophylaxis as the mosquitoes are definitely there.

However, the only requirement is for French Guiana (Devil's Island) for yellow fever. Hep A, and typhoid are also recommended, for Brazil, Argentina. As has been said, go to the CDC website or get the info from your local health department. I also found the mosquito repellant clothing to be useful.

Have a wonderful trip.