Help please, 3 day Bermuda itinerary

cana495

Going to Bermuda on the Dawn in late August with my 18yr son and 16yr daughter.

We arrive on Sunday and will be doing Hartley's Helmet Dive at 1:30. If we allow for the max time of 4 hours it will be 5:30. Would that be enough time to go to Horseshoe bay to eat and watch the sunset? Will there be available transportation?

On Monday we want to do Tobacco bay and St George. If we want to see the reenactment (dunking) what are your suggestions on how to get there and in what order? For Monday night we wanted to do a bonfire but as I understand it there are none available suitable for a 16 year old to go to.should we do Horseshoe bay here instead or the party at Tobacco Bay. Though transportation would be a concern.

We have to be on the ship by 5pm on Tuesday. We have the Shipwreck snorkel through the ship scheduled at 9 AM and that should last about 3.5 hrs. Thinking that from 12:30 onward we could explore Dock yard and/or do Snorkle Park Beach.

Any advice or insight would be truly appreciated! Thank you.

Sharon

If you want to see the sunset, you want a beach/location that gives views to the west. There are better viewing locations than Horseshoe Bay.

Here are some suggestions for sunsets. Fungolf at the Dockard; near the Dockyard is Black Bay Beach; Scaur Hill in Fort Scaur; Somerset Long Bay in Somerset; and Whale Bay Beach and Fort.

The only way you will be able to see the dunking which is at noon in St George would be to take the 9:15AM ferry to SG. The next ferry to SG departs at 11:30AM, and the travel time is about 45 minutes. Of course you could take the ferry to Hamilton (about 20 minutes travel time) and then a bus or taxi to SG. The bus takes about 50 minutes for the trip; a taxi would be less.

Depending on what time you arrive in SG, would suggest you do a walking tour around SG so you'll be close by for the noon dunking. After that I would go to Tobacco Bay.

I would anticipate that you'll be spending most of Monday in SG & TB. I really don't see any benefit in going to Horseshoe Bay on your return. The last 2 ferries from SG > Dockyard are at 4:30PM & 6:30PM.

I am not familiar with 'the party at Tobacco Bay'; did you mean Snorkel Park?

If you did mean party at SP, the SP events page have Mad Mondays listed as age 18+ (ID required)

I don't see any problem with Tuesday.

SBtS

If you want to see the sunset, you want a beach/location that gives views to the west. There are better viewing locations than Horseshoe Bay.

Here are some suggestions for sunsets. Fungolf at the Dockard; near the Dockyard is Black Bay Beach; Scaur Hill in Fort Scaur; Somerset Long Bay in Somerset; and Whale Bay Beach and Fort.

The only way you will be able to see the dunking which is at noon in St George would be to take the 9:15AM ferry to SG. The next ferry to SG departs at 11:30AM, and the travel time is about 45 minutes. Of course you could take the ferry to Hamilton (about 20 minutes travel time) and then a bus or taxi to SG. The bus takes about 50 minutes for the trip; a taxi would be less.

Depending on what time you arrive in SG, would suggest you do a walking tour around SG so you'll be close by for the noon dunking. After that I would go to Tobacco Bay.

I would anticipate that you'll be spending most of Monday in SG & TB. I really don't see any benefit in going to Horseshoe Bay on your return. The last 2 ferries from SG > Dockyard are at 4:30PM & 6:30PM.

I am not familiar with 'the party at Tobacco Bay'; did you mean Snorkel Park?

If you did mean party at SP, the SP events page have Mad Mondays listed as age 18+ (ID required)

I don't see any problem with Tuesday.

SBtS

As I read it they plan to go to St. George's on a Monday. So the ferry is at 9:30. The 9:30 ferry is best for the dunking. If they take the 11:30 ferry they could still see the dunking part of the event. They start gathering for the event at noon but they don't get around to doing the dunking until around 12:30.

The bonfires I know about are not on the days they will be in Bermuda. Friday at Tobacco Bay and Thursday at Snorkel Park. Friday is also the evening party at Tobacco Bay. I don't think Tobacco has an evening party on Monday. Snorkel Park has a late night party on Monday, at 10:30 PM which as you mention is 18 +. When I was on a short Bermuda cruise on Explorer of the Seas a few years ago I decided to go to the late night party at Snorkel Park. Nothing else at the Dockyard at that time and not anything I was interested in happening on the ship. Some crew members mentioned that was where crew went to party. I have to say that on that evening it was a creepy ambiance. Dirty dancing and there were drugs....So I left quickly.

As far as sunsets Horseshoe would be a good spot but I think the concessions close before sunset. And transport back, I have no idea. Maybe if I had a moped I would go to Horseshoe but otherwise I would not go there Sunday evening for the sunset. Fun Golf would be the easiest.

Edited by Charles4515

Thank you both for your replies.

The party I saw at tobacco bay is "Sunset Reggae at the Bay" the kids wanted it more for a bonfire than anything else. Maybe they no longer have it. The party vibe at Snorkel Park doesn't sound like what we want.

I know they do want to at least see Horseshoe Bay. Any advice on where I could fit that in?

we won't rent a moped but would consider a taxi or taxi tour. Is there any advantage to getting to st George earlier than the 9:30 ferry would allow? (Hamilton ferry/taxi)

Otherwise the day at St George and then Tobacco bay sounds great to me. I know planning around my Paid excursions is a pain.

Thanks for any suggestions or input.

Sharon

Thank you both for your replies.

The party I saw at tobacco bay is "Sunset Reggae at the Bay" the kids wanted it more for a bonfire than anything else. Maybe they no longer have it. The party vibe at Snorkel Park doesn't sound like what we want.

I know they do want to at least see Horseshoe Bay. Any advice on where I could fit that in?

we won't rent a moped but would consider a taxi or taxi tour. Is there any advantage to getting to st George earlier than the 9:30 ferry would allow? (Hamilton ferry/taxi)

Otherwise the day at St George and then Tobacco bay sounds great to me. I know planning around my Paid excursions is a pain.

If you only want 'to see' Horseshoe Bay, then on either Sunday or Monday after the day's activities are done, hire a taxi to drive you to HSB, wait and return you to the Dockyard.

Also, for Tobacco Bay, are you only going 'to see' TB or will you do some snorkeling?

As for taking the early ferry to Hamilton and a taxi to St George, the first ferry is at 7:30AM, and the next ferry is at 9AM. It would only be advantageous to take the 7:30AM ferry. If you took the taxi from Hamilton, you could go directly to TB, and then walk/taxi/shuttle to King's Square for the ducking.

SBtS

We expect to do a bunch of snorkeling at Tobacco Bay. We heard that it was better than Horseshoe for this but that Horseshoe was the more beautiful beach.

What would be the cost in money and time for taking a taxi from Hamilton to Tobacco bay?

Thanks for all your help

Sharon

We expect to do a bunch of snorkeling at Tobacco Bay. We heard that it was better than Horseshoe for this but that Horseshoe was the more beautiful beach.

What would be the cost in money and time for taking a taxi from Hamilton to Tobacco bay?

The fare from Front St, Hamilton to Tobacco Bay would be about $40 for 4 passengers plus tip. Travel time would be about 35-40 minutes.

Remember, if you were to take the bus from Hamilton to St George, you leave the bus near King's Square and you would have to walk/shuttle/taxi to TB.

SBtS

• 6 months later...
Going to Bermuda on the Dawn in late August with my 18yr son and 16yr daughter.We arrive on Sunday and will be doing Hartley's Helmet Dive at 1:30. If we allow for the max time of 4 hours it will be 5:30. Would that be enough time to go to Horseshoe bay to eat and watch the sunset? Will there be available transportation?

On Monday we want to do Tobacco bay and St George. If we want to see the reenactment (dunking) what are your suggestions on how to get there and in what order? For Monday night we wanted to do a bonfire but as I understand it there are none available suitable for a 16 year old to go to.should we do Horseshoe bay here instead or the party at Tobacco Bay. Though transportation would be a concern.

We have to be on the ship by 5pm on Tuesday. We have the Shipwreck snorkel through the ship scheduled at 9 AM and that should last about 3.5 hrs. Thinking that from 12:30 onward we could explore Dock yard and/or do Snorkle Park Beach.

Any advice or insight would be truly appreciated! Thank you.

Sharon

How was the shipwreck tour ? Thinking of booking this is May :)

Thanks for all your help

Sharon

The best snorkeling is at Church Bay, which is one of my favorite beaches. Much better and closer than Tobacco Bay. However, there are no facilities at Church Bay.