Twin Towers - NY

PittsburghGirlee

We are flying into LGA and the ship is leaving out of Manhattan. I was wondering, since we will be flyng in super early, if the Twin Towers Memorial is any where close? We would just love to see the memorial and was unsure of the location to the pier.

Thanks!!

Not "close" to the west side piers. Figuring 8 blocks to the mile, about 7-8 miles. But definitely doable in a cab-straight down West Side Hwy to Chambers. Any cab driver will be able to get you there. Be prepared for a BIG lump in your throat.

I think the distance is closer to half the above estimate.

You are correct on the actual distance as NYC streets are not 8 blocks to a mile. I think the OP was really asking if this was a doable trip. 7-8 miles give a much more realistic time frame for travel than 4 miles.

If you have time I recommend going to St. Paul's Chapel just across the street from the Twin Towers site. It was used as a place of refuge for the firefighters during the recovery effort and has become something of a Twin Towers memorial museum. It was built in the 1700's and was George Washington's place of worship when he was in New York. It survived the collapse of the towers unscathed despite its small size and location right across the street from the towers. They have a lot of interesting memorabilia and momemtos from the recovery effort.

Thanks so much for the great advice. I will print the thread out and take it with me. We have read and seen so much on TV and would like to experience this life changing event for ourselves. We are a family of policeman and firefighters, so the emotions will be running.

Again, thanks so very much!!

I was at Ground Zero just 2 weeks ago and there isn't any "memorial", so to speak, yet. They're in the early stages of construction of some sort, but it's really just a big hole in the ground, with chainlink fences and tarp around it. There is a small board near the World Trade subway access, with names of the victims on it, but nothing you could see from the air. I knew that going into the city, that there wasn't "anything" built yet, but still felt compelled to go and pay my respects, if that makes any sense. It was still EXTREMELY emotional, and I had to try to explain it to my 6 year old on top of it all.

We also flew into LaGuardia and we couldn't see that area anyway, depending on which angle your plane approaches from, I guess.

I work in lower Manhattan directly adjacent to Ground Zero, I can't go outside and not pass it.

With that though, there is alot of construction going on everywhere downtown - just keep that in mind.

Also one thing I ask everyone who wants to visit Ground Zero is not to purchase any of the "souvenirs" that are being peddled around the site. As someone who was there on 9/11 and know first hand what times were like here in NYC 5 years ago, I find these people a disgrace to the events. That's not even to mention questioning where the money is going for those "souvenir" books and t-shirts - definately not the victims or related charities. Carpet-baggers is being kind to these people.

I would contact, ahead of time, a limo or car service telling them you want to come in from LGA via ground zero so you could stop off. Also, if you are new to Manhattan, a limo could take you on a tour, if you have time. While it is normally more expensive than a taxi, a cab becomes outrageous with the meter running while you do other than point-to-point. I would be surprised if a limo service wants more than a hundred bucks, not a bad price for the difference between a taxi ride and a tour. If your ship was STOPPING in NY, you probably wouldn't think twice about laying out that amount.

Does anyone know of one that I could call and inquire about? There are 4 of us in our group that would like to do this. I have also had some people tell me that Ground Zero was no where near LGA airport. I was getting kind of concerned when I heard that. :confused: It was not on this site, but by a co-worker.

Many thanks!!

Does anyone know of one that I could call and inquire about? There are 4 of us in our group that would like to do this. I have also had some people tell me that Ground Zero was no where near LGA airport. I was getting kind of concerned when I heard that. :confused: It was not on this site, but by a co-worker.

Many thanks!!

2 of the big car service companies are Carmel (carmellimo.com) or Dial-7 (dial7.com). I have used them several times and they are reputable - just don't expect a tour-guide for a driver.

LGA to the Trade Center Site is approx. 12 miles or about 30 minutes.

Can you please tell me, what you would be the best suggestion for the luggage? I do not want to lug it all over the place and do not want the taxi driver to sit idil while we look around. I am not sure if we can take it to the pier and then taxi to GZ or not. I forgot all about the luggage when I originally had this idea and am afraid that I will not be able to visit Ground Zero.:( Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Can you please tell me, what you would be the best suggestion for the luggage? I do not want to lug it all over the place and do not want the taxi driver to sit idil while we look around. I am not sure if we can take it to the pier and then taxi to GZ or not. I forgot all about the luggage when I originally had this idea and am afraid that I will not be able to visit Ground Zero.:( Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

IF you are arriving day of cruise:

1. Go direct from airport to cruise terminal and drop off luggage. Then go explore, come back and check in for your cruise.

2. If you have not hired a car that will take you from airport to Ground Zero, WITH LUGGAGE, and wait for you (more like a tour), you will have to revert to #1. However, if your plane lands early (like around 9:00AM), you may not be able to drop off luggage that early (9:30-10:00AM after airport transfer). Then you will have to keep your luggage with you and either stay at the cruise terminal until you can drop it off OR take it with you.

Hope this makes sense. You either have to take a tour, DIRECT from the airport, and take your luggage. Or HOPE that it is not too early to drop off luggage direct from airport to cruise terminal.

I like the tour idea much better. And should be less hassle.

I was actually hoping to drop the luggage off at the pier and then take the tour. Our flight leaves PIT at 6:45am and is supposed to land around 8:30am. I am hoping there are not any delays which should put us at the pier early enough. I am wondering if I should forfiet our transfers and get a cab on our own to the pier so we do not have to wait for the bus to fill up? Guess I will make the final decision upon arrival to LGA.

Many thanks again.

I was actually hoping to drop the luggage off at the pier and then take the tour. Our flight leaves PIT at 6:45am and is supposed to land around 8:30am. I am hoping there are not any delays which should put us at the pier early enough. I am wondering if I should forfiet our transfers and get a cab on our own to the pier so we do not have to wait for the bus to fill up? Guess I will make the final decision upon arrival to LGA.

Many thanks again.

If you have ship transfers booked, then you should have no worries about the luggage. They will handle it.

If you show up too early ON YOUR OWN, you may not be able to check in your luggage. The longshoremen will be busy UNLOADING the luggage and they usually make you wait until the luggage is unloaded before they accept luggage for loading.

KEEP your transfers, if they are SHIP transfers. NO luggage worries. Get to the pier on the bus and hail a cab to Lower Manhattan. Enjoy!!!

I would strongly suggest NOT going to the pier early to drop off your luggage. The West Side Piers are usually a zoo on the weekends and there is little sense in trying to swim upstream by checking your bags extra early, or while the previous cruise is still disembarking (which sounds like may be the case). I would get to the piers no early than noon which at that time the last passengers should be leaving and everybody will be ready to embark the new group of passengers.

What I would recommend is that if you are planning on chartering a car for a few hours is to just leave your luggage in the trunk of the car. Book from one of the places I mentioned earlier and you won't need to worry about the car driver driving away with your luggage or anything like that as these are reputable companies that local NYers use every day to/from the airport. And actually by booking a car & driver for a few hours makes life simple because they are at your disposal and the price will be less than a cab.

jeff

I would strongly suggest NOT going to the pier early to drop off your luggage. The West Side Piers are usually a zoo on the weekends and there is little sense in trying to swim upstream by checking your bags extra early, or while the previous cruise is still disembarking (which sounds like may be the case). I would get to the piers no early than noon which at that time the last passengers should be leaving and everybody will be ready to embark the new group of passengers.

What I would recommend is that if you are planning on chartering a car for a few hours is to just leave your luggage in the trunk of the car. Book from one of the places I mentioned earlier and you won't need to worry about the car driver driving away with your luggage or anything like that as these are reputable companies that local NYers use every day to/from the airport. And actually by booking a car & driver for a few hours makes life simple because they are at your disposal and the price will be less than a cab.

jeff

I am still unsure as to what I will be doing if anything at this point. I am going to play it by ear so I can make sure that my flight is not delayed or any other unexpected things don't happen. Thanks so much for your advice. Have a great day!!

Lexi

Archived