Inexpensive NY hotel

palmtree99

Hey all, cruising on the Norwegian Breakaway on July 26th out of NY. We are traveling with a group and would need 6 rooms. I know we are late in the game here, but can anyone recommend a cheaper hotel? We've done a lot of looking, and now we are more worried about price than location. Thanks!

You're in Jersey at this point, almost for certain. From on of Carol's posts:

"Look at the Newark Penn Station Hilton and the Robert Treat in Newark where you will have direct access to the NJ Transit trains to midtown and PATH to downtown. Both hotels have an airport shuttle.

If you stay at an airport hotel, you will have to take the hotel shuttle to the P4 Airtrain station, the Airtrain to the Newark Airport Station, and the train to NYC for $12.50/pp or train and Path to downtown for $8.25 + $2.75/pp. Train from Newark Penn Station to NYC is $5 and PATH is $2.75. It takes about an hour+ to make all the connections on this trip."

You're going to need a car service for transportation. Try Carmel or Dial7.

Carol will no doubt be along shortly with advice, but based on her recent reviews, try the Robert Treat first and be prepared for a ride into Manhattan!

Are you flying or driving? If you're driving, are you parking at the pier?

Tell me as much as you can about how you envision your trip. Hotel budget? Number of people/room? Type of beds? NY sightseeing plans? Arrival time?

Edited by 138east

Check out Secaucus, NJ--not too far from the pier. There are several hotels and restaurants and a Super Walmart all in a cluster near the Meadowlands. I will likely be staying there the week before for our trip on the Breakaway. I found decent hotels with good reviews for $130-150.

I can't comment on how to get to the pier from there--we will have a car.

You can book 6 rooms on Hotwire. I'm seeing a downtown hotel for about $135 plus $40 tax and fees that is available for six rooms/12 people. You would have to take a cab to the port.

There are other midtown hotels for more money, but the cheaper ones are on yptgethethe east side.

You can book 6 rooms on Hotwire. I'm seeing a downtown hotel for about $135 plus $40 tax and fees that is available for six rooms/12 people. You would have to take a cab to the port.

There are other midtown hotels for more money, but the cheaper ones are on yptgethethe east side.

And, once again, I stand corrected by the master! If you can get downtown for that price, jump on it NOW! I'm just guessing that as hot as it typically is in Manhattan in July, you're hitting an unexpected "shoulder" on at least one hotel.

(I do too much business travel, so tend to shop for points and bennies. But, as you know, there are a LOT of hotels in Manhattan!)

I love Hotwire and have done very well with it over the years. They post an approval rating which I find to be a good indicator of the quality of the hotel. The OP has fallen into the "beggars can't be choosers" category by booking so late, but they can roll the dice and be big winners if they're willing to take a chance.

One if my best scores was a simply charming hotel in Rome near the train station and transportation, but in a residential neighborhood for $86/night including breakfast.

Are you flying or driving? If you're driving, are you parking at the pier?

Tell me as much as you can about how you envision your trip. Hotel budget? Number of people/room? Type of beds? NY sightseeing plans? Arrival time?

Wow thank you so much for your suggestions! We will arrive in NY around 4pm on Saturday, and then Sunday we will head down to the NY port for the cruise. I am getting married in Bermuda so I will have a group of 16 of us taking a bus from Ohio to NY. We figured some couples would double up with a room with 2 beds so we planned on only needing 6 rooms for the group. I am not sure everyone's plans to sightsee on NY that night before the cruise. We had looked into hotels that were walking distance to sights in NY to make the evening more fun for the guests but they were way to expensive. I was looking for rooms $150 and under for the night. Price is our main concern at this point. The hotel has been the most complicated part of our planning!

This is tough. Hotwire won't let you book so many people. Realistically you're not going to get a Manhattan hotel for $150 including taxes.

You're going to have to start calling around to hotels to get quotes. The Robert Treat in Newark is about $120 including taxes, but it is in a highly urban area. If folks want to go into NY on the train, they should use the hotel shuttle or a taxi for the few blocks to the station.

You can also call the Ramada at Newark Airport. The advantage of staying at the airport is that you have the airport bus to get everyone and their luggage into the city for the cruise.

Are you paying for the hotel rooms and the port transportation for everyone?

We are paying for the bus that will take us into NY so we are not paying for everyone's rooms. We might plan on paying the transportation to the port depending on how much it is. We were hoping to get a larger bus or van to keep everyone together on the way to the port. I really appreciate everyone's suggestions.

• 1 month later...

not sure where the port is located. I have stayed in Jersey City and also in Weehauken and have gone to NYC. I stayed at the Sheraton in Weehauken and there is a ferry that takes you across the river right from there or there is a cheap taxi ride or think there is a bus that takes you to the Path where you can get into NYC quickly to Penn Statio area or there is a stop before in NY financial area.