Comparisons?

Hi all

I wonder if someone could give me a comparison of Thomson (Celebration) compared to other cruise lines? I've previously sailed RC, CC, NCL and Cunard in the main.

I'm looking at two weeks in the Caribbean in winter for an upgraded cabin and the premium seating on the flight for around £1,800 a person. I could not get anywhere near that with other cruise lines so I wondered what peoples thoughts are on things like the plane, quality of food, cabins and ship?

Part of me is thinking that two weeks in the caribbean for that price would be great. Any thoughts much appreciated.

We have only done Thomson, P&O and NCL, but from what I hear the Ocean Village experience will be closer to Thomson than the other ships in your list.

The ships are old, but kept spotless and well maintained, no WOW factor atrium or flow-riders, but the entertainment is the best, and the staff are the friendliest you will find. Food is on a par with NCL, but not the choice of supplement payable restaurants. No 15% added on, no tips automatically added on, you don't have to tip, but most of us do.

Thomson's are a fun cruise, not at all snobby, casual/smart casual, but we get dressed up on the Captain's night. Some have likened it to Butlins at sea, but I would not say that, it's just ordinary folk having a good time.

This will give you an idea of the cabins and ship, some things have been changed slightly since:

https://joeholiday2.shutterfly.com/pictures/1649

Don't expect Cunard opulence, think more like a nice Spanish 4 star Hotel, but with better entertainment and staff.

The flight could be on the new dreamliner, it depends on the route.

I think you have to go with an open mind and think about why you want to do your holiday. We went for our first cruise with Thomson over Christmas after many P & O, Princess, Celebrity, RCL, NCL & Voyage of Discovery cruises as it was the only one that fitted my holiday dates. I have to say that it wouldn't 't be my first choice for other cruises, food is not a plus point, but saying that we are are going for another one in June, because of a great itinerary. The best thing about the cruise line is their staff who are second to none. Give it a go, especially at such a great price.

Hi...we have cruised with quite a few cruise lines and the first noticeable difference is that there is no WOW factor but having said that the entertainment quality was the best we have seen.

You have to bear in mind that these ships are old...ours the Spirit was about 30 years old and it shows. Yes they have refurbished....in parts....

Someone mentioned about the cleanliness of the ships ...there again...in parts.

Our friends had a suite with a window which was of no use to them because it was so dirty they couldn't see out of it.

If you go with an open mind and lower expectations then you may not be disappointed....I always go with the saying....you get what you pay for.

BTW.Devonian cruiser is that price for a balcony cabin....I see that P&O 2 week prices are very good....but not sure how they would compare for a balcony and premium seating on plane.

We did 2weeks in the Caribbean in February on the Azura for £1099 for an out side cabin flying with Thomson. Sometimes there are some good bargains to be had if you wait x

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app