Vancouver or Victoria ?

Any Vancouver locals or regular visitors,advice needed.We will be staying post cruise in Vancouver. We are ,at present, planning 2 days and taking BC ferry to Victoria for a day trip on one of those days.Question is, if we decided to stay a third day,would it be better spent in Vancouver or Victoria?

Both cities are beautiful. Vancouver is much larger, though, and there is more to do.

The ferry trip is very pretty, but it's a big chunk of time when you only have three days. Both ferry terminals are a long way from the cities. If you can afford it, take an air service that goes harbour to harbour. You will save time and get a great view of the Gulf Islands

Viv

Any Vancouver locals or regular visitors,advice needed.We will be staying post cruise in Vancouver. We are ,at present, planning 2 days and taking BC ferry to Victoria for a day trip on one of those days.Question is, if we decided to stay a third day,would it be better spent in Vancouver or Victoria?

You'd be better off in Vancouver for the extra day. There are lots more things to do and see in and around the Vancouver area.

The ferry trip does sound nice and probably more in line with my budget though.In my research ,I understand it is about a 1 1/2 hour trip each way?How far are talking about? Thanks.

You're correct. The ferry ride itself is about 1 1/2 hours. In addition, you'd need to drive or take a bus to/from the Tsawwassen Ferry terminal which is about 40 minutes (depending on traffic) south of downtown Vancouver. It's doable and much cheaper than flying.

Are you planning on renting a car, taking a bus, or a tour?

However, my personal recommendation would be to go to Victoria only if you plan on staying the extra 3rd day. If you only have 2 days, it will seem like too much of a rush getting back and forth.

_

Are you planning on renting a car, taking a bus, or a tour?

However, my personal recommendation would be to go to Victoria only if you plan on staying the extra 3rd day. If you only have 2 days, it will seem like too much of a rush getting back and forth.

_

I have been planning on renting a car,especially if we do go over to Victoria.Thanks so much,this is the type of info I need .I definately don't want to get in a rush at the end of a long vacation. I really do not want to miss things to do right there in Vancouver to go to the island.So,we'll probably only go IF we stay the third day. Is there an area that would be good to stay in Vancouver and possibly skip the need for a rental? I don't mind renting a car ,however.

As another "boarder" posted, from the Vancouver port to the ferry terminal is a good 40 minutes. Your "pro" for having a car would be obvious, but check out http://www.bcferries.com for sailing times & rates. You pay for the car and each rider so it can add up. There may also be bus service directly to the terminal (http://www.translink.bc.ca or greyhound.ca?) but then you wouldn't have a car on the other side.

As for your 3rd day, if you stay in the downtown core of Vancouver (the west-end), you can do a lot there by walking, renting bikes, rollerblading, bus systems, our Skytrain system (rail), taxi, etc. Check out http://www.tourismvancouver.com for some ideas for what's on.

Vancouver points of interest: Stanley Park (big city park; beautiful;); Robson Street (shopping); Granville Island Market; there's a nice dinner train to Whistler mountain (I think about 2 hours or so each way?); Grouse Mountain sky ride; lots of beaches... That should give ya a few ideas. :)

Just chiming in for a quick second...

#1 If you can, you should rent the car if you're comfortable with it, I think you'll be happier with the "freedom" on both ends (if you decide to ferry to Victoria)...

#2 If it's 2 days, then just stick to Vancouver - more to do; if three days, then definitely get to Victoria - just for the experience...

#3 Vancouver is more "metropolitan", and Victoria is more well "Victorian" more like an old school European downtown area; so it also depends on what kinds of things interest you more...

#4 I think that all of these possibilities are great sightseeing adventures, and you just need to decide what type of thing interests you most...

Hope that helps in some way...

CJW

Here's a good alternative where you fly Vancouver-Victoria and then take the bus back via ferry. It's more expensive than ferry alone, but you'd get the best of both worlds - the fantastic flight into the harbour in Victoria, and the wonderful ferry trip back, and would still save time.

http://www.harbour-air.com/home/index.php?id=40

Viv

Both cities are great; but I lean towards Vancouver as I live there.

First -- There are a ton of things to do in Vancouver and if only staying for two days I would recommend no trip to Victoria. If staying four days I would recommend a day trip to Victoria.

Renting a car -- a car is definately NOT needed if staying Vancouver proper. I recommend purchasing transit day passes (can be bought at many corner stores) and taking transit to all the sites. visit www.translink.ca for more info.

If going to Victoria -- you can take transit to ferry, walk on ferry, then take transit bus on other side that will take you right into Victoria. This would take quite a bit of time, however it is very cost efficient as taking car on ferry can be expensive and there can be long waits for ferries too, especially in summer, sometimes one or two sailing waits. You can also take PCL http://www.pacificcoach.com/ which offers pick up downtown, ferry then right into Victoria, very reasonable and efficient.

Victoria currently has a great exhibit on the Titanic (so see after your cruise, not before :D ), tickets should be reserved ahead of time http://www.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/titanic/default.aspx and there are some beautiful shops, museums, tours to take there too.

Vancouver has an endless amount of things to see and do. http://www.tourismvancouver.com/visitors/

And if you get a chance, come see me driving one of the city buses, and i will answer all your questions.

Vickie

Hello to a fellow Texan - We are about to take our third cruise to Alaskan, second time out of Vancouver. This is a fabulous place to go and more than you could see in a week. We are staying at the Fairmont Waterfront and the Pan Pacific (pre and post cruise) as part of a Holland American deal. We decided, after reading lots of reviews in the Canada site here on CC, to take the big red double decker bus, because it has so many locations to pick you up, drop you off when you are done with that area, then pick you up again. It goes to Stanley Park, Gas Town, China Town, Granville Island, and many other stops and the pass (about $35 is good for 2 days). They call these the hop on, hop off buses and there is more than one company that does this. Good luck in your travels and bless you and your fellow Fire Fighters for all you do. gg in E. Texas

Hello to a fellow Texan - We are about to take our third cruise to Alaskan, second time out of Vancouver. This is a fabulous place to go and more than you could see in a week. We are staying at the Fairmont Waterfront and the Pan Pacific (pre and post cruise) as part of a Holland American deal. We decided, after reading lots of reviews in the Canada site here on CC, to take the big red double decker bus, because it has so many locations to pick you up, drop you off when you are done with that area, then pick you up again. It goes to Stanley Park, Gas Town, China Town, Granville Island, and many other stops and the pass (about $35 is good for 2 days). They call these the hop on, hop off buses and there is more than one company that does this. Good luck in your travels and bless you and your fellow Fire Fighters for all you do. gg in E. Texas

Thank you ,I appreciate your kind words. The doubledecker sounds fun .I can see us doing that. Thanks for the tip. Do you know if there is a web site.? (off topic) My wife returned yesterday from Alaska on the Pearl and wants to go back.Which ship are you guys taking?

Just be aware that this particular link is not the operator of the tour, but a tour marketer. They only sell the tickets; they are in US dollars, not Canadian; they charge an additional "processing fee"; and there are no refunds.

IMO, it's cheaper to buy either directly from the bus/tour company online or directly from the driver at the various stops.

Follow this link to the Vancouver Trolley - hop on - hop off site:

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/citytours/index.html

or this one:

http://www.bigbus.ca/

and hello to Ell and thanks for giving these folks the tip on that tour operator

Cheers

Dennis

Ell52 - A repo on the Dawn out of New York - see my signature - beyond that nothing planned as I need to get my retirement expenses in line with my income.

Do you have any coming up. If you want to contact me it's urbantrekker@lycos.com and put the word cruise in the subject line.

Cheers

Dennis

The Big Bus is www.bigbus.ca and it has a great web site. We paid $35 pp for a ticket that can be used for two days and you get a free Gelato (some sort of Italian ice cream) or homemade fudge coupon. There is a Big Bus company that serves Bancouver and Victoria. The web site lists all the places they let you "hop on and hop off" as well as the time schedule. gg

Archived