Fabric stores St Thomas

brlrph

There are a number of fabric stores, one of which is located in downtown near all the shopping. Depends upon what you want to get though, because it's pretty small. The Fabric Store is a better option but it's a bit off the beaten path.

A lot of the stores listed on the link in the post above are NOT even in Charlotte Amalie or on the island of St. Thomas. At least one is in St. John and several are in St. Croix. When I moved here 4 years ago finding a fabric store was on the top of my list right behind a grocery store LOL.

If you are looking for fabrics made on-island and unique (like the batiks made in St. Kitts or on some of the out islands of the Bahamas) I don't believe you will find what you are looking for. There are no distinctly "Virgin Island" fabrics. The fabrics available here are commercially made fabrics available in the US although there is a heavy emphasis on fabrics and fibers suitable for Carnival costuming. You might be disappointed spending your time in St. Thomas trying to track down something special when you could be enjoying the beach and our fabulous weather. If however you are still interested in finding the local stores, please post again and I will type out specific directions for you. :)

I made my own quilt squares with VI photos. Very easy to do.

Quilting theme cruises visit the fabric stores when they dock in St Thomas, because of the cotton fabric selection, and for tropical prints. Though the fabrics come mostly from the States, you may find designs on St Thomas that you can't find in your area.

Prices similar to States, I think.

A lot of the stores listed on the link in the post above are NOT even in Charlotte Amalie or on the island of St. Thomas. At least one is in St. John and several are in St. Croix. When I moved here 4 years ago finding a fabric store was on the top of my list right behind a grocery store LOL.

If you are looking for fabrics made on-island and unique (like the batiks made in St. Kitts or on some of the out islands of the Bahamas) I don't believe you will find what you are looking for. There are no distinctly "Virgin Island" fabrics. The fabrics available here are commercially made fabrics available in the US although there is a heavy emphasis on fabrics and fibers suitable for Carnival costuming. You might be disappointed spending your time in St. Thomas trying to track down something special when you could be enjoying the beach and our fabulous weather. If however you are still interested in finding the local stores, please post again and I will type out specific directions for you. :)

Thanks for telling me that the fabric stores are not in St. Thomas. I would have been looking for them my self! The type of "Virgin Island" fabric that I would be looking for is the kind of fabric that the stores and vendors sell dresses made of. The dresses cost about $20. It usually is a tropical flower print and it feels silky, but is not silk. Most likely a rayon/cotton mix. do you have any ideas where to buy some?

The only store I have near me on the main land is Joanns Fabric. They don't have what I want.

The fabric stores in St Thomas are:

1. The Fabric Store (not in the main shopping area, but is within walking distance). Area not attractive, but lots of people walk the area daily.

2. Rose's Crafts (or something like that). On the street that runs beside Pizza Hut.

3. Fabric in Motion. On the street that runs beside The Greenhouse.

They should all have some sort of rayon, and tropical prints are popular.

The fabric stores in St Thomas are:

1. The Fabric Store (not in the main shopping area, but is within walking distance). Area not attractive, but lots of people walk the area daily.

2. Rose's Crafts (or something like that). On the street that runs beside Pizza Hut.

3. Fabric in Motion. On the street that runs beside The Greenhouse.

They should all have some sort of rayon, and tropical prints are popular.

Thanks so much. I see what I can

Thanks for telling me that the fabric stores are not in St. Thomas. I would have been looking for them my self! The type of "Virgin Island" fabric that I would be looking for is the kind of fabric that the stores and vendors sell dresses made of. The dresses cost about $20. It usually is a tropical flower print and it feels silky, but is not silk. Most likely a rayon/cotton mix. do you have any ideas where to buy some?

The only store I have near me on the main land is Joanns Fabric. They don't have what I want.

I feel your pain. There are few things more frustrating for a sewer than to have a great idea and be unable to find an appropriate fabric. MS411 has correctly identified the fabric stores in Charlotte Amalie. I personally have not had a lot of luck finding tropical prints in cotton/rayon blends (or in 100% cotton) in St. Thomas. I purchase most of this type of fabric mailorder.

Having said that, all 3 of the stores mentioned are still fun to visit and you never know what you may find. The prices and the quality of fabric run the gamut.

The Fabric Store is a wonderful resource that has a good selection of notions, trims, craft supplies and fabrics. Some African inspired prints are available there and lots of laces and satins for formal occasions. The Fabric Store also carries some Sunbrella fabrics and upholstery items. I've not found a lot of dress-weight tropical prints there.

Rose's Fabric & Crafts is a small store and somewhat disorganized with fabrics and notions piled to the ceiling. This store has quite a bit of fabric in stock but looking for something specific is a little difficult.

Although I have not been in this store in the last couple of months, in my opinion your best chance of finding a nice "islandy" dress fabric would be Fabrics in Motion which is an easy walk from the waterfront. It is my understanding that the owner is primarily a dressmaker and her selection of fabrics makes me believe this to be the case. Her selection is not large but I have seen some elegant fabrics there.

Rose's and Fabrics in Motion are a short walk on streets perpendicular to the Waterfront. To get to the Fabric Store it is a bit more of an adventure. As MS411 implied the neighborhood is a little intimidating the first time one goes there. The store is on Prindsends Gade but locals know it as "Goat street". Google a map of Charlotte Amalie to find it's location. Good luck and Enjoy your time is St. Thomas. :)

I feel your pain. There are few things more frustrating for a sewer than to have a great idea and be unable to find an appropriate fabric. MS411 has correctly identified the fabric stores in Charlotte Amalie. I personally have not had a lot of luck finding tropical prints in cotton/rayon blends (or in 100% cotton) in St. Thomas. I purchase most of this type of fabric mailorder.

Having said that, all 3 of the stores mentioned are still fun to visit and you never know what you may find. The prices and the quality of fabric run the gamut.

The Fabric Store is a wonderful resource that has a good selection of notions, trims, craft supplies and fabrics. Some African inspired prints are available there and lots of laces and satins for formal occasions. The Fabric Store also carries some Sunbrella fabrics and upholstery items. I've not found a lot of dress-weight tropical prints there.

Rose's Fabric & Crafts is a small store and somewhat disorganized with fabrics and notions piled to the ceiling. This store has quite a bit of fabric in stock but looking for something specific is a little difficult.

Although I have not been in this store in the last couple of months, in my opinion your best chance of finding a nice "islandy" dress fabric would be Fabrics in Motion which is an easy walk from the waterfront. It is my understanding that the owner is primarily a dressmaker and her selection of fabrics makes me believe this to be the case. Her selection is not large but I have seen some elegant fabrics there.

Rose's and Fabrics in Motion are a short walk on streets perpendicular to the Waterfront. To get to the Fabric Store it is a bit more of an adventure. As MS411 implied the neighborhood is a little intimidating the first time one goes there. The store is on Prindsends Gade but locals know it as "Goat street". Google a map of Charlotte Amalie to find it's location. Good luck and Enjoy your time is St. Thomas. :)

Thank you so much for all the info. I will have to go to at least one of the stores.