How to Deal With "Difficult" Posts or Threads on this Board

Andy

Hi Everyone !

As this has been posted elsewhere on Cruise Critic, and I found it to be very informative, I felt it was time to bring up the subject here.

I sincerely hope everyone will take a few moments to read this important information. Thank you !

As you all know, the mission of Cruise Critic is stated in our guidelines.

Cruise Critic is a community of folks who love to cruise and we all benefit from the exchange of advice that takes place here! Our Cruise Community is a cooperative effort which depend on all of you to make it work well. If you post questions, please try to take the time to answer other members' questions as well....

.... Our mission is provide a haven on the internet, if you will, that will provide a resource for those planning a cruise for those that love cruising. Help make this a great source of information for you and your fellow travelers by sharing the name of that wonderful private island you visited on your last cruise or tell us about that fabulous shore excursions you took in Cozumel that just can't be missed! If you have any questions or comments regarding our posting guidelines or any content found on our message boards please be sure and let me know. I'll be happy to discuss them with you (community@cruisecritic.com) ....

Occasionally, someone posts something that is not in keeping with the spirit of this mission. When that happens the best thing to do is to let us know there's a problem by using the "Alert" triangle that appears on each and every post in the upper right corner. It looks like this...report.gif

When you click the icon it will create a template that you will complete explaining your concerns. Say whatever you wish in the template; only myself (and Laura, our Manager) will see what you say. And what you say will be private and never communicated to anyone else without your permission.

The worst thing you can do, is to reply to a bad post yourself - which serves to do nothing good but will exascerbate the problem that you identified.

Please be aware... not every alert will result in an action such as a removal, as the post may not be in contravention of our guidelines. If you have any questions, you are welcome to email me at HostAndy@cruisecritic.com.

Hi Everyone !

Here are a few excellent tips. I hope you find this helpful !

This list was posted by a Cruise Critic Member and appears in another board on Cruise Critic. It is worth repeating here:

Tip #1 Ignore the Vocal Minority and this is a much better place

There are plenty of nice, helpful, friendly people on this board with no baggage that just want to talk about cruising.

Tip#2 Read the rules and follow them

They're fair. They make this a good place. If followed and enforced Tip #1 is not necessary.

Tip#3 You can gain a lot by just reading

Don't think you have to interact with someone you find distasteful to gain knowledge. Petty, clique-oriented posts and responses aside, there's a wealth of knowledge here

Tip#4 Chat room and Message board 101: Don't be afraid to turn off your computer

It's easy to get sucked into controversial, demeaning, nasty threads and get upset about it. Remember: This is not real. Odds are you will never meet very many of these people in real life unless you want to. Hint: If this is not fun, click on something that is. You have the power. Try this.

Tip #5 You already registered, that's all you need

There is no secret club, chosen few, select bunch or special people. You don't have to go out of your way to get along with or suck up to any board member or group of board members. Your question and your response has just as much value as anybody else's. If someone condemns you for that they, not you, are wrong.

Tip #6 This is not a democracy

Make no doubt about it: We are are here at the pleasure of the board administration. They're tough but they're fair. Follow the rules and you'll be fine. If you have questions about how they run the place, ask. I've always gotten an answer to any question I've asked.

Archived