Delta vs. Airtran

Tropic5115

Hi Everyone, Hoping someone may have a helpful opinion for us....

We are traveling from Buffalo to Fort Lauderdale in early October and found some cheap rates with both Delta and Airtran. Both have similar fares and flight times and both are connecting through Atlanta. Any opinions on why you would choose one airline over the other?

:confused:

You didnt say if you are flying in the day before-- or leaving the same day as the cruise.

What time do you arrive at Atlanta and how much of a time buffer do you have to catch that connecting flight?

does it make a difference-- yes.

Does it make a difference with what airline-- not really.

All else being equal, I'd pick Delta. Why?

- I can bank the miles I accrue with any of the other OnePass alliance members (important to me)

- Delta's seats are a bit roomier. Not much (an extra inch or two of pitch), but enough to me (I'm 6'1") that it makes a difference. AirTran's seats are a tight 30" in pitch in coach. OUCH!!!!

But this is once againt everything else being equal.

I would choose AirTran. New planes. Great crews. AirTran ranks second or third every year for service while Delta ranks 11th or 12th. Also AirTran is ranked by FAA as best at baggage handling.

I would also look at connecting options. Should there be delays getting into ATL, which airline offers you the most options for a new connection should you miss your original one.

I was thinking the same thing. What are your alternatives if your flight is cancelled/delay. I know Delta can and will shift you to other airlines that have available seats if a flight is cancelled, but I don't know if AirTran has agreements with other carriers to be able to do the same thing.

That being said at the moment, AirTran has a more reliable reputation than Delta.

I was thinking the same thing. What are your alternatives if your flight is cancelled/delay. I know Delta can and will shift you to other airlines that have available seats if a flight is cancelled, but I don't know if AirTran has agreements with other carriers to be able to do the same thing.

That being said at the moment, AirTran has a more reliable reputation than Delta.

Airtran does have that agreement-- but most consumers do not know about it==

they will not offer any kind of help above what they have to

Make a list of all available connections in case one is missed. (it does help when you have that in hand)

Archived