Privately Arranged Snorkeling Tours in Belize?

CaribbeanBound

By email, they are telling me the excursion lasts 5.5 hours- meeting at the municipal airport in Belize at 8:30 and finishing in San Pedro at 2pm. How was the time spent/divided? Which company actually did the snorkel portion of the tour? How many people? I'm just trying to decide whether we want to go with this operator or book our own earlier flights and a company of our choice in San Pedro- but I'm seeing most companies quote 2.5 hours for Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley. I'd like to maximize our experience there- whether that's more time snorkeling or more time exploring the island. Thanks for sharing your experience.

We just returned from a cruise and had the best snorkeling trip of our life!

Excursion: Belize Shark Ray Alley and Hol Chan Marine Park Snorkel Excursion by Air booked thru http://www.ShoreExcursioneer.com

Wasn't much impressed with Belize and don't really care if we ever go back, but I would for this snorkel trip. We saw tons of sharks and they surprised me how big they were. Got to pet one and again was surprised by the sandpaper feel of it. Saw at least 3 different types of sting rays and some turtles too. The reef itself was just amazing and saw fish I had never seen before. The guides would point them out and then tell us what they were. Even saw a big, green eel! He was a bit scary looking :eek:

Even the flight over was an experience. Who needs TSA? :eek: Walk up to the ticket counter at the airport after a short taxi ride and they asked for our first names, handed us a laminated boarding pass and we walked on to the plane. Guide met us in San Pedro and walked us to the snorkel boat. Easy.

They had plenty of water and watermelon on board for everyone. Wish we had the option of a little more food and drink as we were starving after the two different stops, but it was all good.

I would do this again in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were instructed to meet at the airport at 9:30. Walked right on to the flight that took about 15 minutes. Then walked 2 blocks to the snorkel boat. Had about 15 people total on the boat with 4 different guides, so they broke us up into small groups. They did not rush us out of the water at all. When the last person was back on the boat, we moved on to the next stop. When the last person was back on again, we went back to the port. We probably could have stayed longer if we wanted, but we got what we needed out of it. Got back, walked back over to the airport and got the next flight back. Had lots of time to explore the port area. None of us felt comfortable exploring the area on our own, so we were happy to go back.

• 2 weeks later...
We were instructed to meet at the airport at 9:30. Walked right on to the flight that took about 15 minutes. Then walked 2 blocks to the snorkel boat. Had about 15 people total on the boat with 4 different guides, so they broke us up into small groups. They did not rush us out of the water at all. When the last person was back on the boat, we moved on to the next stop. When the last person was back on again, we went back to the port. We probably could have stayed longer if we wanted, but we got what we needed out of it. Got back, walked back over to the airport and got the next flight back. Had lots of time to explore the port area. None of us felt comfortable exploring the area on our own, so we were happy to go back.

What was your cost to get to and from the airport?

We considered a ship excursion here due to the use of tenders and the fact that the Belize ocean-based tours booked through the ship will pick you up and drop you back off at the ship with no need to tender to shore. That's worth something, but since we're not big fans of the huge cattle call crowds common with ship tours, we opted to save $60 and privately arranged a snorkeling trip through EcoTours called the "Goff's Caye Island Getaway" for $45 pp.

It was a 4-hour tour that started at the pier at 10:30 am. Goff's Caye, a small 1.25 acre natural coral sand island, is about 40 minutes away from Belize City/Cruise Port by speedboat. Our boat ride took us past mangrove islands (natural habitats for Brown Boobies, Cormorants, Terns and Frigate birds). There are no beach chairs, so bring your beach towels. BBQ chicken kabobs and chicken quarters, grilled lobster tails (in season), cold bottled beers, "real" bottled Cokes (made with sugar, not corn syrup), assorted snacks, and coconuts are available for sale on the island. The tour price included snorkeling equipment (mask, snorkel, fins and vest), bagged water and rum punch.

Goff's Caye is a pretty island, wrapped in a beach, wrapped in a reef. The water was nice. The snorkel tour, just a couple minutes from shore, was guided. Stay close to your guide to make the most of this tour. There are lots of interesting reef formations but few fish. We did see 3 squid and a sea star.

We tendered into port using local charters which were so much nicer than the claustrophobic fire traps we rode several years ago. The tender took just 15 minutes into port and about 20 minutes back to the ship at the end of our day. While at the port, I took the opportunity to find the water taxi. For anyone concerned about this, don't be. It's too easy! Directions to the water taxi: upon arrival at the pier, walk as far left as you can and enter the building. You'll find numerous tour operators main desks to the left of the hall and souvenir shops to the right. There is also a restroom. Walk to the end of the hall and out the doors. Cross a very small parking lot to a pair of little pink shacks that say "Exit". The shack on the left is the exit. The shack on the right is the security entrance back into the parking lot.

Open the exit door, say "buenos dias" to the guard and exit the shack thought a second door immediately in front of you. You are now on the street in front of the terminal and will have a dozen folks ask you if you want their goods or services. Ignore them and turn left. Walk about 100 feet and turn left again into the ferry terminal. (You'll see a large sign above the pink wall advertising "San Pedro Belize Express Water Taxi").

Walk to the end. You'll pass a few shops and bars. A water taxi ticket counter can be found in the last building on the right. The water taxis are on the pier jut past the ticket counter. To get back to the cruise terminal, reverse the process, enter the little pink shack on the left, show your credentials to the guard, walk across the parking lot, back through the terminal building, and you'll find yourself back on the pier. The water taxi is actually located just on the other side of a wall at the end of the cruise pier. You just have to totally exit the secured area to get there!

Picture: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/goffs-caye.jpg

More "Secrets of the Caribbean": http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

First-hand information on excursions we've taken in 24 Caribbean ports. With photos!

• 4 months later...

I have various ages of adults and children with me and would like a private tour guide to Rendevous Caye. It is a party of 8. Some want to snorkel the reef others play on the beach.

Don't want to have to settle for the cattle call with Carnival's excursion.

Suggestions are welcome!

pittypat

• 2 months later...

I'm considering the by boat option as well for our visit 1/28/15. We can't afford the air option but I'm worried the about the value since the cay is so far away.

Has anyone used the by boat option from this company?

We are booked through shoreexcursioneer to shark alley, hol Chan and caye caulker by boat. Has anyone done this one?

• 5 weeks later...
I'm considering the by boat option as well for our visit 1/28/15. We can't afford the air option but I'm worried the about the value since the cay is so far away.

Has anyone used the by boat option from this company?

Anyone.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am still searching. Would like to do shark/stingray alley. But can't nail down the length and distance of the tour. Also keep getting the caye caulker and goff's caye mixed up in my mind. Now add hol chan and I'm super confused.

Kelley

I am still searching. Would like to do shark/stingray alley. But can't nail down the length and distance of the tour. Also keep getting the caye caulker and goff's caye mixed up in my mind. Now add hol chan and I'm super confused.

Kelley

We used Belize Express last week. They are located right across from the Wet Lizard. Ask for "King James"!!

The tour runs from 10AM - 2:30PM

Swim with the Rays and sharks @ Shark Ray Alley

Snorkel along the Barrier Reef

lunch @ Caye Caulker

free rum punch

They charged $49. The ship wanted $110 for the same tour.

We just got home late last night. We used Coral Breeze Belize Tours, they were actually our second choice to Ecological Tours & Services' Shark Ray & Caye Caulker tour that was full. With Coral Breeze we took the tour called Shark/Ray Alley Snorkeling & Caye Caulker Exploration. They accommodated us last minuet and they were responsive by e-mail and phone.

We got on a tender pretty easy it was actually a long tender ride in from where the Emerald Princess was anchored to where the port is. During the tender ride they do try to get you to sign up with tours and such but quickly and happily left us alone when we said we had book a tour locally. We followed the directions that they gave to get to the representative and got through the pushy venders in the port. The representatives were not in Coral Breeze gear until they got on their boat and it would have been nice if they would have had them on when we meet them. It's is enough of a walk to the transportation and their pier that you want more then thin swim shoes on. Before the tour started we were asked for the rest of the payment at the dock. The tour cost $75 for each of our 2 adults and $63 for our 8 year old. We had made a small credit card deposit and cash was required for the balance. The tour had about 30 people on it and the boat they used was the right size. I was told the size of the boat depends on how many are signed up an it had a max of 50 people. Equipment was antiquate and they took the time to make sure everyone's stuff fit.

They were an environmentally responsible group and took the time to stop and explain the importance of the Mangrove Trees and also made sure no one touched the coral. They also made sure no trash got in the water and such.

It was quite a ride to get to Caye Caulker where they drop some people off and encourage a bathroom break. Then a shorter ride to the coral reef for the snorkeling portion. They use about three different guides that take the small groups around. and point stuff out. We saw great fish, white sand, a huge round coral and a barracuda even nibbled on the guides flipper. The guide took the time to make sure we were with him and to point stuff out as well as follow him so we wouldn't hit the coral. After getting back on board we had pineapple that hit the spot and Belize salsa and chips that were eaten up in a flash. The whole time they provided plenty of water in pouches.

Then another short ride over to the Ray Alley and they get you off the boat fast with your mask so that you get the prime view of the sting rays and nurse sharks. It's shallow enough that a tall adult can easily stand in the water. They feed them and held up the stingrays so that you can touch them. It's not as good as the experience that we had in Grand Cayman but good.

Then the not so good part, Cay Caulker. The place they take you is a fine place with showers, bath rooms and food. We had paid for the included lunches that included a couple of chicken options and grilled cheese. The Fanta was disappointing to my kid and about 5 others who thought it should be orange not strawberry but that is a minor detail. There were a few other food offerings that were about the same price near by and chicken is a common meat. Another family on the tour got take out chicken strips that were similar in cost and looked really good too. The town its self is a basic beach town with pack sand roads and just the basics. If you want to shop this really wasn't the place a lot of the goods were old and shop worn and priced high. It's a nice cultural experience to check out the two general stores to see what they pay and what they have that is the same and different. We had a bad experience with one "local" who told my son he was fat in the street and it really ruined our day. But the other people on the street came to make sure our son was ok and where ready to jump the guy. This site also was said to have a beach in the description but it was more of a retaining wall filled with packed down sand and lounge chairs. But the island in general is not crowded and very laid back.

The ride back is pretty long and the engines had a problem. They made my son's day by letting him "drive" the boat with assistance on the way back and he felt 10 feet tall. The problem was handled calmly and efficiently and the crew really worked well together. It could have been so bad but was really handled well. Stuff happens so I don't blame them for the problem at all I just bring it up because it's good to know it was handled well. We got back to their dock and then the pier with plenty of time left.

Overall, I think the tour was good and the time allotted for each activity was right. They delivered on the tour as explained in the description. They handled kids VERY well and took the time to make it educational as well. I don't know if it was quite worth the expense but compared to other options it wasn't out of line cost wise. And a reminder to wear sun screen and more importantly to re-apply it there is no shade on the boat and the ride back got us.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
We used Belize Express last week. They are located right across from the Wet Lizard. Ask for "King James"!!

The tour runs from 10AM - 2:30PM

Swim with the Rays and sharks @ Shark Ray Alley

Snorkel along the Barrier Reef

lunch @ Caye Caulker

free rum punch

They charged $49. The ship wanted $110 for the same tour.

Did you pre-book or just arrange the tour once you arrived?

• 4 weeks later...

We want to do a day of snorkeling when we go to Belize in February. I have narrowed it down to 4 private charters. Two by air and two by boats. Can anyone give me their thoughts on any of these places?

By air

http://www.shoreexcursioneer.com/belize/shark-ray-alley-hol-chan-marine-park-snorkel-air.html

http://www.exoti*******daytrips.com/tours/shark-ray-alley-and-hol-chan-marine-park-snorkel-excursion-by-air

By boat.....

http://www.discoverbelize.bz/belizetours/snorkeling-the-coral-gardens-and-shark-ray-alley

http://tsunamiadventures.com/snorkeling/

Thanks for your help!

Pretty sure we did the second choice listed by air 2 years ago. Can't pull up the web site to be sure. I loved the experience of flying as it was truly an experience. They have certainly never heard of TSA :eek: I liked that it gave us more time in the water. I had read that the boats are a couple hour ride. We all want to go back to shark alley so I know we will do it again some day

• 4 weeks later...