Mount Kilimanjaro

DeeDee Groff

I was on safari in Tanzania 2 years ago. Visits to Kili are not normally included in safaris on the "Northern Route" (Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro Crater, The Serengeti,...) which are way west of the mt.

You would have a better chance of seeing Kili from Ambroseli National Park on the Kenya side.

Kili is often shrouded in clouds, so even when you are relatively near, you might not see it. For example, on our last day in Tanzania, we had day rooms at the hotel near the Kilimanjaro airport. The hotel has maps in each room showing where you can see Kili from their grounds. We couldn't see it until just at sunset, when the clouds cleared. Very, very awesome! In addition, you can see Mt. Meru, which is also impressive.

I'm sure there are tour companies that offer trips to see Kili that don't include climbing the mountain, but you'd have to search online for them.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a tip you might find useful --- do not not call it Mount Kilimanjaro . That would be redundant like calling it mountain mountain. Just call it Kilimanjaro. And yes, cross your fingers for a clear day when the view it stunning.The clouds can be fickle and I am not sure there is any trick as to when and where for the best viewing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums