Voyages of Discovery: MV Voyager

Camelline

I haven't seen any references to this ship, newly renovated & currently on its first world cruise now. I am taking the Sharm to Dubai portion next month. What I want to know .. anybody? .. is if the ship has outside passages all around the upper cabin decks, or at least on one level. The company's previous ship, called Discovery, had a lovely one on my cabin deck halfway around the ship. It's almost impossible to tell from the photos I've seen of Voyager. It would be nice to be able to step out into the fresh air mid-ship on one's cabin deck instead of hiking way up to the top. Hoping I'm not going to get claustrophobia!

I haven't seen any references to this ship, newly renovated & currently on its first world cruise now. I am taking the Sharm to Dubai portion next month. What I want to know .. anybody? .. is if the ship has outside passages all around the upper cabin decks, or at least on one level. The company's previous ship, called Discovery, had a lovely one on my cabin deck halfway around the ship. It's almost impossible to tell from the photos I've seen of Voyager. It would be nice to be able to step out into the fresh air mid-ship on one's cabin deck instead of hiking way up to the top. Hoping I'm not going to get claustrophobia!

From the looks of this deck plan the Promenade Deck has a partial walk-round: http://us.voyagesofdiscovery.com/ship.php?ship_id=897&type=34&deck_id=9&deck_type=35.

• 2 weeks later...

We're going too! Haven't had any replies at all to my roll call. we're getting on at Athens 2nd November for the first leg then doing the Sharm to Dubai 18th November. Do please get in touch; we thought it was a ghost ship! H

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

we are not going until Oct 22 next year from istanbul to Dubai, so am anxious to know how you liked the ship. We have been on the bigger ships so this is totally new to us. We just liked the itinerary so much.

• 3 weeks later...
Nice to know there are others :) I am coming from Canada.

We're from Canada, too. :) Just booked this cruise yesterday. Though we prefer cruising smaller ships with under 3,000 persons, mv Voyager will be the smallest ship for us. Just love the itinerary, so we'll see how this goes.

Will start searching for shore excursions asap.

Hi

we are not going until Oct 22 next year from istanbul to Dubai, so am anxious to know how you liked the ship. We have been on the bigger ships so this is totally new to us. We just liked the itinerary so much.

Hi .. ,sorry for the delay. I returned on Dec 4th and still doing catch-up. I haven't been on bigger ships, only Voyager and its former sister ship Discovery. The ship facilities are perfect for its size and the crew is outstanding for service and friendliness. It makes for a sociable atmosphere but of course you can also be alone as much as you want. Dining on Voyager is informal in that you are not stuck at one table for the whole trip but get to mix every night. They say there are two "formal" nights and a few people *really* dress up, but their "smart casual" is acceptable all the time. On leaving Djibouti until about Muscat we had (most) lights out at night, one of the piracy cautions. I was almost regretting no sign of pirates, ha ha ... the naval-patrolled corridor we sail in has pretty well discouraged them. What else can I tell you? Voyages of Discovery passengers become extremely loyal to this company. Some people I met had been on their cruises a dozen times or more.

We're from Canada, too. :) Just booked this cruise yesterday. Though we prefer cruising smaller ships with under 3,000 persons, mv Voyager will be the smallest ship for us. Just love the itinerary, so we'll see how this goes.

Will start searching for shore excursions asap.

Can you see my reply to the other query? I hope you love this ship and company as much as I do!

• 9 months later...

We are joining Voyager on November 3rd at Sharm till Dubai on 19th , fairly new to cruising , our first earlier this year. Anybody any tips , anyone been on this ship before? we have been to Sharm before but not to any of the other places we are visiting. Any advice on excursions ? Shuttles in ports , or are they walkable ? Is there a Drinks package ? Is there a RollCall ?

Terry

Terry

We are joining Voyager on November 3rd at Sharm till Dubai on 19th , fairly new to cruising , our first earlier this year. Anybody any tips , anyone been on this ship before? we have been to Sharm before but not to any of the other places we are visiting. Any advice on excursions ? Shuttles in ports , or are they walkable ? Is there a Drinks package ? Is there a RollCall ?

Terry

Terry

The Roll Call for your cruise is at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1892777

In this same section Roll Calls-Other Cruise Lines you will also find a Roll Call for a 93-day version beginning in Oct. and going through Jan. that includes folks on your cruise.

Hi Terry,

We are on the same cruise joining in Sharm on the 3rd of Nov. we did a similar cruise on this ship earlier this year only on the other direction. We did the Luxor and Temple of Karnak ship trip which was fab. We did not get off in Djibouti. We met a friend in Oman but Oman looked an easy place to get around from the ship. Not been to Fajeirah or Dubai before. There is no drinks package but drinks are reasonably priced. I think there is now a role call, 2 actually. 1 for the 3rd to 19th Nov and another longer cruise incorporating our part of the long cruise. It is a really nice little ship and we found the staff to be the best we have ever encountered on a cruise ship. There are no, 'bells and whistles,' but the lectures, staff and entertainment staff more than made up for not having an ice rink or a climbing wall!

See you on the 3rd.

SomersetCruiser999

• 2 weeks later...
Many thanks for replies. Sounds like small is beautiful. Not long to wait now , really looking forward to it. Any one have any news about troubles in Egypt ? Any alterations to Itinerary ?

Terry

Hi Terry, I looked at the UK Foreign Office website yesterday and Sharm El Sheikh and Safaga look ok. However, we have booked the trip to St Catherine's Monastery and it looks like this area is in the "Only essential travel," part of the FO map. I contacted VoD yesterday and they forwarded my query to the excursions dept, who only work Monday to Friday. We wait to hear the response!

One week and counting!!

SomersetCruiser999