When is an upgrade really a downgrade?

blueeyes53

Hi Guys

Hubby and I are sailing on Pacific Jewel in May for 14 nights. 2nd cruise for him and 5th for me. I chose deck 5 inside cabin midships because hubby has Parkinson's and found that the movement of the ship first time around messed with his head a bit. However he was willing to give it another go as this time he is aware of what might/will happen. Last time we were upgraded from deck 5 to deck 6 which was not much of a difference so OK.

We have now been given an upgrade to deck 10 inside cabin right behind one of the banks of lifts (10236). Just wondering if anyone has any experience with a cabin behind the lifts for noise etc? We booked direct with P&O as I got an email offering an excellent price being a past passenger, rather than using a travel agent. I did say we would be open to an upgrade. Looking at the web site the same cabins are $400 dearer per person that what we are paying.

We are looking forward to the trip but I am having a little reservation about being higher up in the ship for the movement factor affecting hubby and possible noise from the lifts and the occupants late at night. Any advice welcome.

Cheers

Linda

Hi Linda,

I think you will be ok. Looking at the deckplan, the cabins do not actually back onto the lifts, certainly not the passenger lifts. The blank space on the deckplan is the crew service area - lifts, stairs, etc. Without a full General Arrangement and Technical plan of the ship it is not possible to tell exactly what is next to the cabin, however I think at that point it is part of the engine casing leading up to the funnel. Others may have a different view but I don't think the noise would be any more than you would expect from having an occupied cabin there.

I have sailed on Pacific Jewel twice, both times I have been on Deck 10, the first time we were in 10119 which is a long way forward, the second time we were in 10251 which is in a similar position to your cabin, albeit on the other side of the ship and on the outside. On both occasions we had very little issue with either noise or movement. If you look at the deckplan you will see that 10251 in particular is very close to the stairs.

Obviously I can't comment on the difficulties that your husbands condition from Parkinson's may cause, however the location in some ways is quite good, you are only two decks up to the Lido, or three down to the Promenade - your previous location would have been more problematic I would have thought for getting to the Lido.

One final point...Make sure that you advise your Cabin Steward and the Pursers Office on boading of your husband's condition, this way if there is any emergency they will make sure that he receives the care and attention that is needed to ensure that you are both safe - a minor issue only I know, but it is one that can ease the mind of one more potential stress. It is also possible that the Pursers Office will be able to make some special consideration for disebarkation at Tender ports so that it is a little easier on your husband, rather than him standing in a lengthy queue.

Hope this helps and I hope you enjoy your cruise. I like the Pacific Jewel, particularly since they have made the changes to the port side of the Dome, this is a lovely place to sit in the afternoons.

Cheers,

Hi David

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. Our first cruise together was on the Jewel and I am looking forward to seeing her after the recent renovations. My first cruise as a single person was on the Hymalaya in 1974 then Fairstar in 1991. I also went with a group of line dancing friends last year on the Pearl.

Thanks also for the tip of advising staff about hubby's condition. Although he is not too bad once fully medicated, I will take your advice.

Cheers

Edited by blueeyes53

Hi David

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. Our first cruise together was on the Jewel and I am looking forward to seeing her after the recent renovations. My first cruise as a single person was on the Hymalaya in 1974 then Fairstar in 1991. I also went with a group of line dancing friends last year on the Pearl.

Thanks also for the tip of advising staff about hubby's condition. Although he is not too bad once fully medicated, I will take your advice.

Cheers

can i add if you do decide to do another cruise and you like your location get your booking agent to mark your booking no upgrade because if you leave your self open to an upgrade they can put you anywhere on the ship and the cabin you receive may not be in a good postion and once you are given your new cabin you cant get the old one back

Hi David

Cheers

if there is an emergency at 5am there is no chance to get him fully medicated

We booked direct with P&O as I got an email offering an excellent price being a past passenger, rather than using a travel agent. I did say we would be open to an upgrade. Looking at the web site the same cabins are $400 dearer per person that what we are paying.
Just a heads up for next time, agents can still get you the past passenger discount, and will more than likely have obc for offer that P&O won't (or if they do, it'll be combinable). :) Edited by finetuneit

You are right Adidas4fun so we will just hope for the best.

finetuneit, we have been given $75 each OBC which we are happy with.

FYI, I was not happy with the travel agent we used previously so went direct with P&O but I have now found a really good one that other friends have been using for years so will let him have my business next time.

Thanks all.