Alaska or Canada Cruise in Sept/Oct

Hi

Trying to decide between 2nd Alaska cruise or a Canadian Cruise. Has anyone done both? Any comparisons? What did you like/dislike about the cruises? Loved Alaska cruise...not sure about Canada...looks nice. Is the Quebec Iteniary recommended or the cruises that go up to St Johns and Halifax then back to NYC? Its overwhelming. Need help!

Hi

Trying to decide between 2nd Alaska cruise or a Canadian Cruise. Has anyone done both? Any comparisons? What did you like/dislike about the cruises? Loved Alaska cruise...not sure about Canada...looks nice. Is the Quebec Iteniary recommended or the cruises that go up to St Johns and Halifax then back to NYC? Its overwhelming. Need help!

We have done both in late Sept/early Oct. Very different cruises - AK is great for scenery and better excursions IMO. NE/Canada had better color tree foliage and some interesting stops, but the weather was a bit better (but that could easily vary).

Since you have done AK and not NE/Canada, I would go with the later.

DaveOKC

The last Alaska cruises are around Sept. 20 - after that all the ships reposition to somewhere else. If you want to go any later than that, you'll have to go the East Coast/Canada cruises. We've done both several times and enjoyed them all, so pick the cruise line/ship/itinerary that suits you best and enjoy yourselves!

Last 2 cruises were Alaska and NE/Canada. Two totally different cruise experiences.

Alaska Pros - Scenery and wildlife

Alaska Cons - Touristy ports (complete with diamonds and chinese made crap...seems like the tourism has pushed out a lot of Alaskan culture. I really appreciated Icy Strait where tourism hasn't ruined it...yet)

Physically demanding excursions

NE/Canada Pros - Food (there is so much good food in NE/Canada! From blueberries to lobster. The seafood is much better in NE/Canada than in Alaska). Ports are less touristy (I don't remember a Diamonds International at any of the ports we went to).

Amazing fall color.

Lots of history in Boston

Culture

Excursions are cheaper than Alaska

NE/Canada Cons - Not a lot of wildlife. Some interesting sea birds, but nothing like Alaska.

So basically, for me, if I want to see nature and wildlife (which I am a huge fan), I say go Alaska

if I want great food, history, and culture, I say go NE/Canada.

I have done both. To me the Canada/NE is more of a fall type cruise. A lot of history and port intensive. The AK is for scenery as well as the ports. These ports as others mentioned are more touristy. Where do you live? Will either save you on getting to the port? Another consideration. Both are beautiful in my opinion.