Sept 13-20 POA Cruise Review - pt. 1

azappraiser

Our plan was to leave Phoenix on Tuesday, September 9th, spend 4 nights in Honolulu, board the ship on Saturday for the 7-day inter-island cruise, and then fly back home on the 20th. Unfortunately, that plan changed shortly after boarding the aircraft for the first of several times this day.

Following a 3-hour maintenance delay, our 8:00am, “direct” flight from Phoenix to Honolulu got us as far as LAX (twice in one day), where they finally announced the flight had been cancelled and that everyone needed to get off the plane. It was now nearly 5:00pm… of course there were no other flights to Honolulu at this time, so we were forced to spend the night in a hotel and fly out the next morning. Before heading to the hotel, we made arrangements for two seats on the 9:00am flight, which was nearly sold out. The airline then sent us to the LAX La Quinta, gave us meal vouchers for $18 each, patted us on the butt and sent us on our merry way.

We made our way back to LAX the following morning, where we boarded our 2nd direct flight to Honolulu. Thankfully, this flight was uneventful. About six hours later, we arrived in Honolulu, claimed our bags, and then headed out to the rental car shuttle. Picking up the car was a breeze… we plugged in the Garmin (brought our own) and headed toward Waikiki to check in at the Hale Koa Resort. Our vacation was finally under way.

We would spend the next few days touring Oahu, and on Saturday, board our “new” home for next 7-days… NCL’s Pride of America. We had booked the trip more than 18 months prior to the cruise, when nearly every cabin was available, so we opted for an Aft Balcony… #9200. As with most cabins on the ship, space was a bit tight… until you stepped out on the balcony. The outdoor space was nearly as large as the indoor space; with room for TWO chaise lounges, two chairs and a small drink table… and there was still room to move around. I highly recommend the aft balcony… especially for this itinerary.

Now, let’s move on to the review: I’m going to begin with everything off-ship, including our activities in each of the ports, then move on to our impression of the ship and its staff, then finish with our final thoughts. At the end, I’ll post an email link for questions. This may be a little lengthy, so I’ll break it into a few parts. So, without further ado, here’s a recap of where we went, what we did there and what we thought of it.

Oahu:

Our Hotel - Having retired from the military, we met the requirements for staying at the Hale Koa Resort. If you’re eligible to stay at this property, you will not be disappointed… with the facility nor the price. There is a parking garage available across the street if you’re planning to rent a car. During our stay, one of the restaurants was being remodeled, but “Biba’s” took up the slack. There was also a poolside snack bar, with adjoining “adult beverage” service, two pool areas, a Post Exchange and laundry facilities on each floor. I had heard the Hale Koa was nice, but I honestly wasn’t prepared for just how nice it really is.

Dinner at Duke’s – Potent Mai Tais & excellent service/food. A bit pricey, but felt we got what we paid for… the panko crusted calamari is to die for! Top notch salad bar as well.

Oahu Photography Tours – A guided photo tour with professional photographers. Since my body was still on Phoenix time, the sunrise tour worked best for me. Our guide, Chris, is also a student at the University of Hawaii, majoring in fashion photography. Chris made it a point to spend time with each of the 5 persons on the tour, provided several tips & tricks, and ensured everyone would have several quality photos to take back home. These guys really rock… if you have a camera, you should take one of their tours. They picked me up shortly after 5:00am and had me back to my hotel by 11:00am.

North Shore – Following my photo tour, DW & I hopped into the rental car and headed toward the north shore. Once you get to the outskirts of Honolulu, the traffic begins to thin out. We made our way to the North Shore Soap Factory and Old Sugar Mill. We saw how they make the various soaps and how they process coffee & chocolate at the Waialua Coffee/Sugar Mill. Following a little retail therapy, we headed over to Matsumoto’s for a “Shave Ice.” Continuing along the north shore drive, we came upon the Waimea farmer’s market, so we stopped to check it out. Although there were several produce vendors, most of the booths were manned by artists and retail vendors. All in all, it was worth stopping for. Back in the car, we made our way toward the eastern shore and a pleasant drive along the coast. I made a quick stop at a roadside stand where one of the locals was hand carving tikis… which was something I wanted to bring back home. The “brudda” had just finished carving the one I bought, in fact, it still needs to have a finish applied. Before heading back to Honolulu, we stopped at “Chinaman’s Hat” to get a few more pics before calling it a day. We cut through the mountains and came into Honolulu from the east. After little dinner, we called it a day.

Our final (full) day on the island included a tour of the Arizona Memorial and a luau at Germaine’s. But before we did anything, we had to pay a visit to Leonard’s Bakery for a couple of their world famous malasadas. Our only regret is that we didn’t buy more than we did… two per person is just not enough. Later that morning, our tour bus picked us up at the hotel, then we were off to the memorial. Before boarding the launch to the memorial itself, we had some time to visit the museum exhibits. A short while later, our group number was called and we headed into the theater to watch a very interesting documentary on the December 7th attack. Following the film, we boarded the launch for our ride to the memorial itself. As we approached the memorial, I was particularly touched by the little boy in front of me as he stood and saluted the flag… he couldn’t have been more than 5 years old. It would have made a great picture, unfortunately, I didn’t have my camera ready. With plans to attend the luau in the evening, we concluded our tour & headed back to the hotel for a bite to eat and a dip in the pool/Jacuzzi.

Our shuttle to Germaine’s Luau picked us up at around 4:15, at a bus stop not more than 15 minutes from the lobby of our hotel. We had one more stop to make, then it was off to the luau. Thanks to the Honolulu traffic, it took more than two hours to get to the luau site. For reference, it only took 30 minutes to get back! We arrived at the property just in time to catch an amazing sunset. Once everyone was seated, dinner service began, followed by the show. I thought the food was very good, especially considering it is an outdoor buffet. My personal favorites were the potato-mac salad, the teriyaki beef and the kalua pork. The dancers put on an amazing show, concluding with the fire dancers. Following the show, we went back to the bus and headed back to Waikiki Beach. Tomorrow morning, we head to the port to board the ship.

1st Port – Maui:

With an overnight stay in port, we had planned to rent a car and drive the Road to Hana (R2H) on the first day, the head over to Lahaina on the second. That plan came to an end when the car we rented broke down after we passed Twin Falls Bridge, approximately 30 minutes from the rental office. It took more than two hours for them to bring us a replacement car. DW and I decided to bag the R2H for the day and switch to the 2nd day’s plan, stopping first at the Maui Winery, and then head to Lahaina. Since the ship was leaving port the following day, we reconsidered driving the Road to Hana on our own, opting instead to book the excursion through the ship… just in case!

We returned the car and hopped the shuttle back to the ship. At the excursion desk, we discovered the only R2H trip that was still available was the “deluxe” tour at $229 per person. We passed… deciding instead to take a ride to the rim of the Haleakala Crater. Although it is much cooler at the top of the crater, we were fine wearing just shorts and t-shirts. I highly recommend this tour.

2nd Port – Hilo:

We booked an independent tour with Ricky’s Tours, along with several of our fellow Cruise Critics. Ricky took our group to several popular sites, including the seaside park in Hilo, Rainbow Falls, Volcano National Park, the Macadamia Nut factory, orchid farm and finally, a black sand beach. We had plenty of time to explore at each stop and Ricky had planned the itinerary so that we arrived at each of the stops as the “big tour” buses were either just leaving or just arriving as we were leaving. If you prefer touring with a smaller group, you should consider booking with Ricky. His tour does take up most of your day, and he does visit the same places as the “big” tours… however, with the smaller group, you’ll spend much more time at each spot as it takes less time load & unload a van as opposed to a tour bus. Ricky’s pricing is also very competitive at $65.00 per person.

3rd Port – Kailua-Kona:

This was our “kick-back” port. It is also the only port where you must “tender” between the port and the ship. We opted for an NCL tour to the Ocean Rider Seahorse Farm, which we booked immediately after boarding the ship in Honolulu. The “farm”, which is located in an industrial area on the NW shore of the big island, near the airport, breeds and raises seahorses for both public and private aquariums. Our guide, Kim, walked us through the entire process and life cycle of a seahorse, stopping at several tanks along the way to see the little critters in various stages of growth. The tour concluded with an opportunity to “become a coral reef” and have a seahorse hang on to your finger by its tail… this was very cool! If you decide to go here, be sure to wear decent walking shoes… do not wear flip-flops! This is a working facility and the grounds are covered with loose lava rock, which is very sharp.

Following our tour, we walked hopped a free shuttle to the International Market. After an hour or so, we headed back to the main part of town in search of some coffee and sea salt to bring back home. Having accomplished our mission, we took a tender back to the ship to hit the pool & Jacuzzi.

Final Port – Kauai:

Once again, having an overnight stay in port, we rented a car so we could explore on our own. We started out with a visit to the two waterfalls located just outside of Lihu’e, then headed north to check out the lighthouse at Kilauea Point. Since there are no roads that circumnavigate the island, we backtracked past Lihu’e and continued on to the Spouting Horn Blowhole. Following a rest/ice cream stop in Koloa, we headed toward Waimea Canyon. A weather front was beginning to build, severely limiting visibility in the canyon, so we decided to head back to Lihu’e… but not before making a stop at the world famous Hawaiian Trading Post for another session of retail therapy. We made one last stop before returning the car and heading back to the ship… I needed to pick up a box so that I could send a package back home, so we paid a visit to the local Walmart.

The ship was scheduled to leave port shortly after 1:30pm on our 2nd day in port, and I had one final excursion that I had booked several months earlier… an airplane flight over & around the island with Wings Over Kauai. I had originally made reservations for DW and me to take the flight, but she backed out a few days earlier. Then, the other couple that was scheduled to make the flight was a no-show, so now it was just the pilot and myself… so I got to sit in the co-pilot seat! We got buckled in and were ready to go… then the engine wouldn’t start. I was almost ready to pack it in when they got it started… so we climbed back in (with the engine running) and took off. This was by far, the highlight of my trip. We flew over the ship, into Waimea Canyon from the south, over the ridge and along the Na Pali Coast, then back across the center of the island and over the water falls we had seen from the ground the day before. A little more than an hour later, we were landing back at the airport. What an experience! Not only was their flight less expensive than a helicopter ride, it was longer in duration as well… lots of bang for your buck. Needless to say, I highly recommend taking a flight with Wings Over Kauai.

This is the end of Part One. If you have any questions about any of our tours, check out the links to the various web sites or feel free to contact me by email. Be sure to check out Part Two which deals with the ship.

Edited by azappraiser

Wow - thank you so much for this! We have Wings over Kauai booked for our trip next month. Were you in the Cessna or the 6 passenger plane? Could you talk to the pilot? We are really looking forward to this - thanks for all the work that you put into your review.

Wow - thank you so much for this! We have Wings over Kauai booked for our trip next month. Were you in the Cessna or the 6 passenger plane? Could you talk to the pilot? We are really looking forward to this - thanks for all the work that you put into your review.

We flew on the Airvan. Since there were just the two of us, I was in the co-pilot seat. And Yes, you are able to communicate with the pilot. I shot more than 200 pictures with both my phone & DSLR... it was too cool. I still have a smile plastered on my face! :D

Fantastic review, I have it bookmarked!

We leave in less than a month for our trip and I have been looking for a more current review than some of the others I found.

I find it very odd that there is no alcohol at the PCC. I would have never guessed that. I'm no alcoholic, but if I'm watching a show like that I was sure planning on having a fruity drink (haha). Good thing we have the Old Lahaina Luau booked as well.

Any comments about the boarding process? What time did you get there, how long was it....etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Fantastic review, I have it bookmarked!

We leave in less than a month for our trip and I have been looking for a more current review than some of the others I found.

I find it very odd that there is no alcohol at the PCC. I would have never guessed that. I'm no alcoholic, but if I'm watching a show like that I was sure planning on having a fruity drink (haha). Good thing we have the Old Lahaina Luau booked as well.

Any comments about the boarding process? What time did you get there, how long was it....etc.

The PCC is actually operated by members of the Mormon faith... hence the No Alcohol policy.

As for boarding, when you initially arrive at the port, you need to handle your own bags... no porters available. We arrived around 11:30am. The Latitudes check-in is at the far left side of the queuing area... if you're already a member, don't wait in the snake line. Check in was quick and painless. Boarding began as we were walking away from the desk. Two escalators up and then we stood in line for no more than 10 minutes, waiting for everyone to have their photo taken with "Uncle Sam" before actually getting on board. Everyone boards on Deck 5.

I already knew the layout of the ship, so once on board, we headed aft to the Skyline Dining Room.

Cabins were ready by 2pm. Our checked baggage was waiting for us after the muster drill.

Edited by azappraiser

Azappraiser, I almost hate to ask, but what airline were you flying?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hawaiian Airlines... and since the delay and eventual cancellation were maintenance related, the airline held up their end of the Contract of Carriage by putting us in a hotel at no charge to us, providing the meal vouchers and booking us on the next available flight, which unfortunately wasn't until the next morning. They also provided us with Transportation Vouchers for a future flight with a redemption value of $500 each. The vouchers are valid for one year.

Don't get me wrong, losing our first day in Hawaii sucked, as I had meticulously planned each of the fours days we were to be there... but, the upside is, we only lost the one day. We could have been one of the unfortunate passengers toward the back of the plane that didn't get rebooked on another flight right away.

Here's a couple of tips... if you're ever in a position where your flight is delayed or cancelled:

1. Read the carrier's Contract of Carriage and know what the carrier has agreed to do in each situation. (I always download a copy of the full document to my laptop prior to traveling)

2. Know your rights ("google" Flyers Rights)

3. If your flight does get cancelled, get to a gate agent right away to rebook on the next available flight.

4. Be firm, but polite. The gate agent may be the airline's rep in front of you, but they had nothing to do with the problem... they're trying to make the situation better. You can always deal with the corporate office later.

To be honest, I applaud the Captain for placing the passengers' safety 1st... and ahead of the airlines' desire to maintain the schedule. I just wished it had happened on our way home. :(

Edited by azappraiser

Thank you for all your advice! We are scheduled to fly in the day of our December cruise on the POA using Hawaiian Airlines out of Phoenix. I know what we are doing is very risky but trying to coordinate vacation schedules for four people has been a nightmare. I'm very glad to hear that the airline took good care of you. Traveling is such an adventure, isn't it?:)

Thank you for all your advice! We are scheduled to fly in the day of our December cruise on the POA using Hawaiian Airlines out of Phoenix. I know what we are doing is very risky but trying to coordinate vacation schedules for four people has been a nightmare. I'm very glad to hear that the airline took good care of you. Traveling is such an adventure, isn't it?:)

Good luck, I hope you don't have any issues. That's a major gamble.

I agree with Freehike... IMHO it's never a good idea to travel to the port on the day of the cruise; too many things out of my control. Ours is the perfect example. Even if they hadn't cancelled our flight, the delays alone would have gotten us in to Honolulu after the ship had sailed. I hope you purchased trip insurance! :eek:

Edited by azappraiser

Hawaiian Airlines... and since the delay and eventual cancellation were maintenance related, the airline held up their end of the Contract of Carriage by putting us in a hotel at no charge to us, providing the meal vouchers and booking us on the next available flight, which unfortunately wasn't until the next morning. They also provided us with Transportation Vouchers for a future flight with a redemption value of $500 each. The vouchers are valid for one year.

Don't get me wrong, losing our first day in Hawaii sucked, as I had meticulously planned each of the fours days we were to be there... but, the upside is, we only lost the one day. We could have been one of the unfortunate passengers toward the back of the plane that didn't get rebooked on another flight right away.

Here's a couple of tips... if you're ever in a position where your flight is delayed or cancelled:

1. Read the carrier's Contract of Carriage and know what the carrier has agreed to do in each situation. (I always download a copy of the full document to my laptop prior to traveling)

3. If your flight does get cancelled, get to a gate agent right away to rebook on the next available flight.

4. Be firm, but polite. The gate agent may be the airline's rep in front of you, but they had nothing to do with the problem... they're trying to make the situation better. You can always deal with the corporate office later.

To be honest, I applaud the Captain for placing the passengers' safety 1st... and ahead of the airlines' desire to maintain the schedule. I just wished it had happened on our way home. :(

Or you can can the airline and get it handled over the phone

While it sucks to lose a day I'm glad to the airline took care of you as best they could.