Quilt shops

carol515

I was in Skagway on a Sunday a couple of weeks ago and Rushin Tailors was definitely open. Great shop! Whales Tale (Ketchikan) is small, but staff very friendly. Changing Tides (Juneau) was well stocked with beautiful fabric and also has a needlework shop attached. Yarn store in same building as well. If anyone is headed to Sitka, Abby's Reflection is a lovely quilt shop that also sells a number of nice t-shirts that would make great souvenirs. Unexpectedly, the Ben Franklin in Sitka had a large fabric selection. All are within easy walking distance from the ship (or from where transport from the ship would drop you in town).

http://www.rowbyrowexperience.com

The URL above has photos of the shops and the shops have info about their location, if they are within walking distance to the dock or if there is a shuttle available. The Row By Row with the free patterns will run until Sept 5th. It's a great way to pick up something to remember your AK trip and the patterns are free (Kits do cost).

There is a shop in Denali that carrries fabric right across the road from McKinley chalet resort. Not sure of the hours of all the shops in port. I was able to get to 5 shops. Went to Whales Tale in Ketchikan, Changing Tides in Juneau, Rushin Tailors in Skagway,I think it was called Northen Heart Origial in Denali, and Quilted Raven in Anchorage. I got many new projects to do.

That's great. Any fabrics unique to Alaska?

There is a shop in Denali that carrries fabric right across the road from McKinley chalet resort. Not sure of the hours of all the shops in port. I was able to get to 5 shops. Went to Whales Tale in Ketchikan, Changing Tides in Juneau, Rushin Tailors in Skagway,I think it was called Northen Heart Origial in Denali, and Quilted Raven in Anchorage. I got many new projects to do.

Thanks for letting us know about the shop up by Denali. Google is our friend, we will find it. :D

That's great. Any fabrics unique to Alaska?

I'm pretty sure all the shops I went to (Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Sitka) has some Alaska-themed fabrics. How many of them are actually unique, I'm not sure. The Ben Franklin in Sitka had some panels based on Barbara Lavallee paintings. They may have been at the other shops as well, but that's where I noticed them.

• 1 month later...
Not that I need fabric. I want fabric. So I guess that means I need fabric.:D

Carol you always NEED more fabric. Plus you can get prints in Alaska that you can't get at home.

carol 515 - Out of all five of the shops, which one was your favorite?

• 4 weeks later...

I´ve been to Whale´s Tail Quilt Shop in Ketchikan. They had quite a few Alaskan motives for a memory quilt (stamp shaped). They also had a fabric with motives of the native people. I bought that plus - as I´m a cross stitcher - two patterns by Sitka Stitches (Ptarmigan and Polar Bear, 6.99 each / 39 for a full kit).

The shop in Denali is called Northern Heart Originals (two buildings to the left of Subway). Haven´t been in there.

If you stop in Haines there´s a souvenir shop called Alaska Rod´s at the corner of Main / 2nd. I saw some nice pieces printed with native motives. It was just the print on a piece of fabric. App. 15 $ per piece. Verybeautiful but as I´m not a quilter I didn´t spent the money.

steamboats