Explorer of the Seas Alaska 2017 Cruise Compass

We will be on The Explorer in August with our family. I would like to plan some dining times in advance. Does anyone have copies of the current Cruise Compass OR could tell me when are formal nights? I;m thinking Day #2 & 5 ?

Also, on which evening is the Ice Show? and what are the times?

Any comments on Suite and/or Diamond lounges?

Thank you

Formal nights were on days 2 and 5.

Ice shows were during the day around 2 and 4 PM - not much choice as the shows are given by muster station - don't know how much stand-by room there was.

No suite lounge on Explorer and didn't go to the CL. The DL is a much better location anyway with great view - the place you want to be in Alaska.

Biker, who was surprised by the lack of guests in the DL during the cruise.

Formal nights were on days 2 and 5.

Ice shows were during the day around 2 and 4 PM - not much choice as the shows are given by muster station - don't know how much stand-by room there was.

No suite lounge on Explorer and didn't go to the CL. The DL is a much better location anyway with great view - the place you want to be in Alaska.

Biker, who was surprised by the lack of guests in the DL during the cruise.

Thanks

I've found in past Alaskan cruisers that there are not a lot of diamond/diamond+ cruisers.

Can you recall @ when are the evening shows scheduled? Usual @ 6;30 / 9 pm ?

Any other comments appreciated. Been awhile since on this class of RCL

The evening shows were mostly 7 and 9 but modified on a number of days (first, last, day in Juneau).

Relative to other sailings, few upper level C&A cruisers (140 D, 40 D+). The top cruiser was a D+ with 569 points - no Ps at all. The DL did not really need as overflow and existing lounge could accommodate. The bartenders were a bit off with timing on the D drinks in the bars - they may need a reminder that it start at 4:30 not 5.

Be prepared for a mess on embarkation - 3+ hrs after we arrived at 11 AM - Eclipse boards the same pier/day.

If you want to try out the Flowrider, this is the itinerary for it - very few takers, mostly kids. I was on it by myself a couple of times - they turned it on just for me.

The ice skating sessions are fairly popular so if you want to do it, go when available.

The WJ is a good substitute for dinner in lieu of MDR on some nights.

Look for whales on the way north to Juneau on day 2 and around Victoria on day 6/7.

Enjoy the scenery.

Hello,

Did you catch if they were showing movies in the theatre or just on deck by the pool?

And how many times do they have open skating?

This will be my first cruise where I am off the ship all day during port days and apparently you need to be looking at the scenery on at sea days. :-) I have my 10 and 12 year olds going too and they won't want to watch scenery, but I don't want to miss that experience. I promised them movies and ice skating. :-) Oh and hot chocolate....but I think we will be paying for steamed milk since the hc are just from packets. :-)

Thanks!

A

Cruiser02--- the kids club is pretty good. My 12 yo will be in the teen group and isn't so sure. 10 yo looking forward to games, crafts. But if big sissy is with mom and dad she too will want to come along so I am trying to figure out a few things. When girls were 5 and 3 they loved the kids club. There is also an arrangement if you eat dinner early that you can have your child eat quickly and then go off with the counselors to the kid program. That worked well at 5 and 3 yo as well.

A

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm also looking for images of the current Compass. Did anyone take pix? There's always info that I don't remember to ask about, and also things like "daily specials" that you only find in the Compass (Orat least I'm assuming so. I've never cruised RCI before, but that's been the case on the other lines I've cruised!)

and also things like "daily specials" that you only find in the Compass (Orat least I'm assuming so. I've never cruised RCI before, but that's been the case on the other lines I've cruised!)

Yes, there are drink daily specials.