WC travels. Frankly, there seems to be a lot a confusion

as they miss ports, arrive early/late,etc....beyond the

ordinary due to weather,etc. For example, they are skipping

a port of Borneo because there may be 'pirates' in nearby

waters but are [according to Clay who is following his atlas]

plying the same waters. Then they are skipping Phuket on

the next leg because otherwise they won't get a slot in Yangon

except 7pm-11am. Well, Yangon is a two day stop, on the

schedule since the get go. These are just 2 current examples.

The Compass Rose menus also are receiving less than thrilling

reviews.

Does anyone have additional information?

Took a quick peak at the blog and he is doing beyond a phenomenal job. Anyone who might be interested in the travels, tours, food, goings on, etc., should definitely take a look. I will take more time to read it after hours. You can find it here: http://journals.aol.com/dfriia/WestwardWorldCircumnavigation200/

The juggling ports is not too uncommon, especially when an extraordinary one becomes available. As I am always one to seek out the unusual...and I just enjoy the ride...that seems a relative good thing. (And missing out on pirating opportunities is a noble cause;) ).

As for the food comments, after reading a bit (and to be fair not all) of the comments, it is a bit shocking. Some of the misses on the deck lunches don't really bother me too much (as they don't really meet the advertising in most instances on most lines, including RSSC). However the misses in the dining room is cause for concern. A decent chef can make a good meal out of even supply-challenged ingredients. I shall read on to see if it has been consistent throughout the cruise.

Definitely worth the reading though. Thanks for the tip!

I have friends on same trip - they are enjoying every minute of the cruise including the food!!! In fairness to both Debbie and Radisson - Debbie has food issues (which she discusses) and it seems those issues are on land too - we were on Voyager, 2 segments of WC last Feb/March, and just got off Mariner, 1 segment SA, and the food was outstanding on both cruises - have another booked for August and looking at November - I don't expect them to have Skippy peanut butter not do I like chocolate croissants - just keep serving me delicious waffles, pancakes and eggs benedict for breakfast and fantastic dinners and I am happy!!!!

I've been following some of it. I think they are doing a great job of detailing their experiences. I must say, however, that I would be experiencing a different cruise if I were there. There just seems to be a real focus on the "downside" of things, rather than the wonderfulness of it all. This is not a criticism...just a personal observation of differences in the way we experience things. I tend to be a glass-half-full, roll-with-the-changes kind of person, so I think if I were on that cruise, my journal would sound substantially different.

The whole story of their day in Bali was rather hilarous, however!

LeeAnne

I can't follow posts 5 thru 7..........but does anyone know why

Phuket was dropped? As far as I know, there isn't trouble in

that area......and Rangoon/Yangon was originally scheduled

for 2 full days anyway. So it's not as though something new

& interesting came along.

Yes, I understand that we all have different experiences...

but even w. food allergies or limitations, some of the comments were

worrisome. Eventually, I hope, others will post and we'll be

reassured by the fuller picture.

Paula there is a blog from another couple who are currently on the World Cruise -- or they may have just gotten off, not sure...they were not on the entire WC. Their blog has an entirely different flavor. Here is the link:

http://www.travelblog.org/North-America/United-States/Arizona/Tucson/blog-34790.html

I think that after reading this, you'll see that a lot of the less-than-positive perspectives on the other journal are just their unique perspective on things, and that others are having a different, far more positive experience of the same cruise. Enjoy the blog -- she is a fabulous writer! :)

The best part of her blog for me is that it covers the exact cruise I'm going to be on later this year, only in reverse. They joined the WC in LA and went through FP to Auckland -- we're going to be boarding in Auckland, going through FP and ending in LA. So I've had a grand time reading their experiences, knowing I'm going to be seeing and doing the same things! :D

LeeAnne

You must read Debbie and Clay's WC review with a sense of humor or you miss the whole point of the journal. All is not seen from the same prospective as one who is serious all the time. They seem to be having a fantastic time except for seasickness and an injured ankle and complimentary of the food most of the time.

You must read Debbie and Clay's WC review with a sense of humor or you miss the whole point of the journal. All is not seen from the same prospective as one who is serious all the time. They seem to be having a fantastic time except for seasickness and an injured ankle and complimentary of the food most of the time.
I agree that a sense of humor is required. I do sense a lot of "tongue in cheek", and wryly humorous renditions about the less-than-perfect aspects of going on a world cruise. My only issue is that for someone who is reading this for the purpose of learning if they themselves would enjoy a WC, this might not be the best source for that information, as their form of humor and style of writing, and some of the focus of their journal, puts more of a spotlight in the downside of some of their experiences, and on WC's in general. Is it an entertaining read? Absolutely! Is it the best way for someone who's never gone on a WC and is considering one to learn about the overall experience, and help them decide if they would like to try one? I don't believe so. But I am definitely enjoying it for what it is! :)

LeeAnne

make for entertaining reading. I enjoy Donna's writing flare

and Clay/Debbie's wry wit. I don't perceive either journal

as full of complaints or whining...and appreciate negative

comments if they seem fair/balanced. Everyone is entitled

to their opinion/view of things..........just for the record here.

I read Clay's entry for Sunday [today] and found myself wondering

why Radisson office would think providing TGIF's is a great idea. Now

I know that they are both owned by the same company....but is

that really a deluxe cruiseline offering/experience? I would think not,

but if the restaurant is mobbed, the data will speak louder and

counter to my thoughts.

Either way, both journals are fun to read.

We thought that the food in Compass Rose was good with some items very good. As with any menu, you need to 'learn' it. I do recall an excellent salmon one night and a few other dishes. Desserts were generally weak but the cheeses were excellent. Perhaps due to the ship being at full capacity [it was a New Year's cruise] there sometimes were service delays. Before you think we rush, let me add that we found 40 minutes too long between arriving and ordering...and the appetizers.

And the wine waiters were stretched thin. Unfortunately, many of our dishes were tepid and that distracts. Nonetheless, we enjoyed our evenings including dinner w. great companions. We enjoyed Signatures, which we felt was a cut above and didn't find them haughty or pretentious as some have shared.

I had thought that the WC might be even finer/ more exciting and was somewhat curious/concerned once I read some of the journals. I imagine that I would have liked Latitudes to offer special items as it cruised through parts of Indochina...but not to have been transformed into TGIF's. On the other hand, this just might capture folks' imagination..so we'll have to wait & read.

Paula, I was on that cruise, and passed my mostly very positive reviews of the food along earlier.

I believe that the Indochine theme is the one they've had for awhile, isn't it? At least that's what I read in Clays journal entry regarding this. Could be by now that some of the full WC'ers are in the mood for a less exotic venue for dinner with a focus on American "comfort food". It will be interesting to see how the concept is received. I did talk to Patrick about it, and he said that TGIF headquarters had sent lots of decorating items. I remember when I was eating in TGIF, there was American antique "stuff" all over the walls, anything from old farm implements to old signs. Might be a nice change of pace.

Paula: We signed up for PC and had to cancel but sort of remember your name - we just left SA 16 nights Mariner - wonderful - and in Feb/March 2005 Voyager WC 2 segments wonderful - Gosh...100% perfect of course not some slip ups - but we have loved every Radisson cruise (7) BUT most importantly our fellow cruisers - I think we love people more than food - Joanna

I've been reading Marcie's notes and it sounds as thought

everyone is having a fantastic time! I do agree that friends

make the cruise very enjoyable.......but we also are part

foodies.

Perhaps my interest in Indochine would have waned by now..don't know...we'll soon hear.

I just asked you as you seemed to queston WC cruise food ??...indicating you thought it might have "been disappointing" ??....and thought you had been on December PC cruise SO how different could it be???? You are right the people you meet make all the difference in the world - Joanna

is the message I got when reading Clay/Debbie's journal.

I had imagined that they might go all out for a WC.

Perhaps they have.

Perhaps they haven't.

Perhaps there have been personnel changes.

Perhaps everything is exactly the same.

Perhaps there are differences.

As we read on various folks' journals, we'll probably

make up our own minds on how it sounds.

That's all my question was........that and whether anyone

knew anything about the dropping of Phuket.

End of topic for me.

Archived