Dialysis in San Juan and St. Thomas

rtfnl

Has anyone done dialysis in San Juan and St. Thomas? If so, please give name of facility where it was done. I'm aware of Dialysis at Sea, which is not an option.

Edited by rtfnl

Has anyone done dialysis in San Juan and St. Thomas? If so, please give name of facility where it was done. I'm aware of Dialysis at Sea, which is not an option.

Did a quick search on this forum and found that back in April 2010 you posted dialysis center information for both San Juan and St. Thomas . Refer to post # 9 in this link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1161612&highlight=dialysis+in+san+juan+and+st+thomas

Thank you for bringing that to my attention and pointing it without being nasty. We never used them, I think he either went on PD or got a transplant. I'm so embarrassed for asking that question.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't ever be embarrassed asking questions on these forums; that's what it's all about. We are cruising first time "dialysis at sea" and have been on many cruse these past 20 years. I have read everything I can and BECAUSE this is "first time" , DH has only been on dialysis for a year, we wanted to make sure we were doing dialysis at a RELIABLE AND CLINICAL OPERATION. Many people say foreign clinics are good.....BUT...... know another oatient that had dialysis in Japan for two weeks and he said it was NO PROBLEM. I. WILL post again when we return for those who may ,in the future, need information and confidence that all will be well. We love to cruise and pray we will be able to continue....

He did it one year in Cozumel ($800 treatment, transportation each way, and interpreter). The hospital didn't look all that nice; however the staff was great. The only scary part was they didn't know what size needle to use. The doctor let us use his cell phone to contact the facility at home. My dad had an interpreter who stayed with him the entire time. he made sure that new needles were used. The paperwork was translated into English. Since a group travels with us, we cannot use Dialysis at Sea in case it gets canceled. Grand Cayman's ($550) facility is really nice. He used them twice. That cruise his dialysis was more than the cruise itself.

YES!!! Pricey., 9 day explorer of the seas out Bayonne, NJ (cape Liberty) is about $700'per,session and we need 4 sessions. Been on EOS before and met a neuphrologist (NEVER thinking we would be i in this position). He was from Florda and said he had 8 patients. Soooo we will see. Two weeks from today we will have one day under the belt. All is set uo, time and days....,will keep updated?

• 1 month later...

As posted on another 'thread'....dialysis went VERY WELL. The price was MORE than I quoted before. 9-days $4,100. There is a new Dialysis at Seas calendar out for 2014-2016. Check their website. Would recommend to anyone that want to cruise with dialysis...Check with your health insurance, medicare does NOT pay. We are now waiting for detailed statement from DAS to submit to health care provider. one cruise a year is better than no cruise. .

• 1 month later...

Two cruises booked for March 2015....Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. Been in touch with nurses from Explorer AND hopefully they will be able to be on one of those. Have requested early morning session,,,,one is "for sure"; other we are "wait listed". No matter we are going and happy to be able to. Jidy