Preziosa 9/12/15 from Genova boarding

Mack2015

First time on MSC...We are coming from Santa Margherita, ligure by train and I understand there's a stop by the port. How far is the walk? Also, the ship departs at 6pm, MSC says 3 hours before they start boarding but if I get there earlier will they board sooner?

First time on MSC...We are coming from Santa Margherita, ligure by train and I understand there's a stop by the port. How far is the walk? Also, the ship departs at 6pm, MSC says 3 hours before they start boarding but if I get there earlier will they board sooner?

Can't help with walking distances as I've always arrived at the port by taxi from either Mestre or San Marco airport. There is a people mover for part of the route. Skier52 has posted pictures and routes on here before. You may be able to search for them.

As for boarding, time is always specified as 3 hours before sailing. They invariably start 1-2 hours before that. I usually go around 12.30-13.30 and boarding has started or starts withing a short time. Don't bother going before then. You've more chance of a long boring wait than anything else.

Genoa Pre-Cruise Hotel/Tours

Can anyone recommend a pre-cruise hotel that would be walkable to both the city center and the cruise port in Genoa? Will be planning on checking in the evening before and would like to see a bit of the city and do an excursion the next morning to Portifino before boarding the Fantasia later the same day. Do the ferry or van tours to Portifino leave from the same general vicinity? Also, I will need to get to Genoa from Nice by train unless I can determine if I can get a shuttle through MSC, and would like to be able to walk from the train station to the hotel. Does anyone know if MSC offers a shuttle service? It is all going to be a bit rushed, so any suggestions to make this as easy and stress-free as possible would be appreciated since I have never been to Genoa or Nice before.

Can't help with walking distances as I've always arrived at the port by taxi from either Mestre or San Marco airport. There is a people mover for part of the route. Skier52 has posted pictures and routes on here before. You may be able to search for them.

As for boarding, time is always specified as 3 hours before sailing. They invariably start 1-2 hours before that. I usually go around 12.30-13.30 and boarding has started or starts withing a short time. Don't bother going before then. You've more chance of a long boring wait than anything else.

AmoMondo, I think you've got Genoa and Venice mixed up! tHe OP asked about Genoa and the places you've cmrntioned are in Venice.

However I have given some info on the following thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2082537

Hope this is of use

Pete

Edited by Skier52

AmoMondo, I think you've got Genoa and Venice mixed up! tHe OP asked about Genoa and the places you've cmrntioned are in Venice.

However I have given some info on the following thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2082537

Hope this is of use

Pete

Yes lost the plot! Someone else was along about Venice!

I'm definitely boarding from Genova, Not Venice.

Here's my info from the thread mentioned above

It is only a short distance from the docks to the station you depart from (see image), approx 0.5 mile as the crow flies, probably 1.5 - 2 miles around the road system.

All taxis are metered and a similar distance journey from my hotel to the docks , last year, cost 12 euros.

I would expect under the normal disembarkation arrangements the 11:00 train would be fine.

genoa.jpg

Pete

We arrived in Genoa with the Splendid and walked from the ship with our luggage to the train station. It is a short walk and I thought it was easy to do. Especially if you have only one suitcase each. For us it was not worth it to take a taxi. I think it was just a 10 minute walk.

If it was only 10 min...I can deal with that too. Were the streets ok and was it a winding road based on the map posted, it looks like it was.

I am sorry, do not remember. I only know it was an easy walk. We are in our late forties and my husband just ran a marathon that week and I run myself as well. So we are both quit fit. So I do not how easy it is for you to do the walk, for us it was.