Martha Brae Tubing: What to wear, and other questions

emory2001

What is the transportation to the river?

Did you wear shorts and tee, or a swimsuit? What about water shoes - necessary or desirable?

Is it a mild ride? Any rapids or rough areas?

Is it easy to get separated from the group?

Are there lockers for storing items? How do you get back to the lockers?

How long is the actual tubing portion of the excursion?

Where do you get towels for afterward?

Thanks for your help.

I am not familiar with tubing on the Martha Brae River... We did the bamboo rafting trip in December of 2015 and had a blast.

We hired a local personal friend to drive us to/from the Falmouth pier (short drive). I wore swim suit, tee shirt, and sneakers.

It is a very mild ride. The guides are excellent and keep you talking, laughing, and singing. Our guides kept us all together as a group.

No lockers that I recall. We just left everything on the bus.

The ride itself was about 45 minutes.

We had no need for towels, although there was a spot he said we could get off the raft and swim. You could keep your towel on the bus and get it once you reach the end.

I'm the OP and did my excursion yesterday, so I will answer my own questions for anyone else searching the forum on this topic. This was the Royal Caribbean "Thrill Seekers Pass" excursion to Good Hope Estate for Martha Brae river tubing (and zip lining):

Modern, air-conditioned large bus took us from the port to the estate, where we began for the activities. They had us all do zip lining first and then the tubing.

Did you wear shorts and tee, or a swimsuit? What about water shoes - necessary or desirable?

I wore dark colored cargo capris and a dark short sleeved tee, with walking shoes that I didn't mind getting wet. The tubing is a "wet butt" tour. Even though your tube has a plastic lining in the seat, water still gets in. Plus it poured rain on us. I was glad to be wearing cargo pants - in the side pocket I had my phone in a waterproof plastic phone bag. I was able tot take out the phone once in a while to snap a photo in the rain and put it back safely in its waterproof bag. Phone was fine afterward.

Very mild, two tiny little fun "ramps" of mild rapids.

You will not get separated. 5 tubes are linked together, and the tour guide links his tube to the chain. Tour guide has short oars to direct the chain of tubes. I never felt unsafe. The tubes are very large, puffy and comfortable, too.

There are lockers on the Good Hope Estate premises, where we began. A smaller, much more primitive, open-air bus takes you back to the estate after tubing, about a 5-7 minute ride (very bumpy and no seatbelt).

At least 30 minutes. It was wonderful and very relaxing. Our guide told us about Jamaican culture along the way.

No towels provided. Take a pool towel off the ship and a change of clothes or underwear if you wish. We didn't and it wouldn't have mattered - we were drenched from the rain and got back on the bus to the port soaking wet.

Edited by emory2001

• 1 year later...
I'm the OP and did my excursion yesterday, so I will answer my own questions for anyone else searching the forum on this topic. This was the Royal Caribbean "Thrill Seekers Pass" excursion to Good Hope Estate for Martha Brae river tubing (and zip lining):

Modern, air-conditioned large bus took us from the port to the estate, where we began for the activities. They had us all do zip lining first and then the tubing.

I wore dark colored cargo capris and a dark short sleeved tee, with walking shoes that I didn't mind getting wet. The tubing is a "wet butt" tour. Even though your tube has a plastic lining in the seat, water still gets in. Plus it poured rain on us. I was glad to be wearing cargo pants - in the side pocket I had my phone in a waterproof plastic phone bag. I was able tot take out the phone once in a while to snap a photo in the rain and put it back safely in its waterproof bag. Phone was fine afterward.

Very mild, two tiny little fun "ramps" of mild rapids.

You will not get separated. 5 tubes are linked together, and the tour guide links his tube to the chain. Tour guide has short oars to direct the chain of tubes. I never felt unsafe. The tubes are very large, puffy and comfortable, too.

There are lockers on the Good Hope Estate premises, where we began. A smaller, much more primitive, open-air bus takes you back to the estate after tubing, about a 5-7 minute ride (very bumpy and no seatbelt).

At least 30 minutes. It was wonderful and very relaxing. Our guide told us about Jamaican culture along the way.

No towels provided. Take a pool towel off the ship and a change of clothes or underwear if you wish. We didn't and it wouldn't have mattered - we were drenched from the rain and got back on the bus to the port soaking wet.

Not sure if you will see this post or not. I am going on this excursion in a few weeks. Thanks so much for the details on the Tubing. Any details you'd like to share on the zip lining? We have a member of our party that has gotten nervous on the physical requirements for the ziplines and I'm trying to find info if there are stairs/steps/or poles to climb. I can't seem to find out specific details about this particular zipline. Thanks