Obstructed View Cabins on QM2

kelly3399

Are there any advantages or disadvantages as to whether you choose a lifeboat or a tender in front of your balcony if you book an obstructed view room on deck 8? I am mostly wondering about any excess noise and/or commotion on days when we are at a port requiring the tenders. Thank you, Kelly

Are there any advantages or disadvantages as to whether you choose a lifeboat or a tender in front of your balcony if you book an obstructed view room on deck 8? I am mostly wondering about any excess noise and/or commotion on days when we are at a port requiring the tenders. Thank you, Kelly
We have done several voyages while staying in an obsturcted balcony. You might have a slightly better chance of seeing something with a lifeboat, but either way, most of you view will be blocked. Realistically, there isn't much to see other than ocean once you leave port on most voyages. We usually end up going down to deck 7 or up to the top deck to watch whenever we are entering or leaving a port.

I can't remember ever having noise as an issue with the lowering or raising of the tenders. Actually. it is rather fun to be able to watch the process from that vantage point.

Bob

One advantage of a tender is if you have several tender ports on your itinerary, and don't plan to go ashore, you'll have an open view for the day you are in port!
Actually, that would only be true if they were using the tender or lifeboat that is blocking your view for tendering passengers back and forth to port. :)

Bob

I've heard anecdotes about crew members working on tenders or their lowering gear while, shall we say, private activities were taking place in cabins. Urban legends, or has anyone experienced crew outside their obstructed-view balcony?

I've heard anecdotes about crew members working on tenders or their lowering gear while, shall we say, private activities were taking place in cabins. Urban legends, or has anyone experienced crew outside their obstructed-view balcony?
I've seen crew members working on the tenders outside of our obstructed view balcony, but they were always busy performing routine maintenance or assisting with the lowering or raising the tenders in ports that require tendering. I don't remember any of them even looking in the general direction of our balcony.

Bob