QM2 Docking in Brooklyn

MAJ

:confused: How easy will it be to get downtown from this out of the way cruise terminal in Red Hook Brooklyn has anyone done this. Is there coaches ? Hate to think what it will be like like with maybe 2000 people trying for a taxi

:confused: How easy will it be to get downtown from this out of the way cruise terminal in Red Hook Brooklyn has anyone done this. Is there coaches ? Hate to think what it will be like like with maybe 2000 people trying for a taxi

Both times I disembarked there was a taxi waiting for me.

Matthew

a lot less out of the way than London to Southampton and a darn side closer(and needless to say cheaper). Downtown is a hop skip and a jump away, Less than $25.00 by cab....you can pre arrange a car service for about the same $25.00 and that is per car not per person. but in your case since you have an attitude anyway it will be $1000 that for the SPECIAL car.

a lot less out of the way than London to Southampton and a darn side closer(and needless to say cheaper). Downtown is a hop skip and a jump away, Less than $25.00 by cab....you can pre arrange a car service for about the same $25.00 and that is per car not per person. but in your case since you have an attitude anyway it will be $1000 that for the SPECIAL car.

Brooklyn is out of the way. Visitors come to see Manhattan. You could walk from the old terminal very easily. You can't with Brooklyn.

The Brooklyn one sees coming in from the ship is not attractive.

And what on earth has London got to do with it? Cunard don't sail from London.

Taxi to the Waldorf=Astoria cost $30 including tip. Train from London to Southampton (not that it is relevant) is £1. That's about $2 given the current superb exchange rate. But somehow I don't think cost is the issue. Yes - the terminal at Brooklyn is better for provisioning, and might be better for departures, but Manhattan had the virtue of doing Immigration before luggage - which is something that needs to be changed at Brooklyn.

Matthew

Brooklyn is out of the way. Visitors come to see Manhattan. You could walk from the old terminal very easily. You can't with Brooklyn.

Taxi to the Waldorf=Astoria cost $30 including tip. Train from London to Southampton (not that it is relevant) is £1. That's about $2 given the current superb exchange rate. But somehow I don't think cost is the issue. Yes - the terminal at Brooklyn is better for provisioning, and might be better for departures, but Manhattan had the virtue of doing Immigration before luggage - which is something that needs to be changed at Brooklyn.

Matthew

its one pound by cab to the Southampton docks? I'll give the cab 2 lbs and tell them to get the rest from you :)

Brooklyn is within New york city. You can still walk it just takes longer. Most docks in the US are not downtown. and clearly Southampton isn't London but I don't think many planes from the US fly into Southampton...

its one pound by cab to the Southampton docks? I'll give the cab 2 lbs and tell them to get the rest from you :)

No. The train from Waterloo to Southampton is £1. The station is within the city, so you can walk it, but it just takes longer

Matthew

No. The train from Waterloo to Southampton is £1. The station is within the city, so you can walk it, but it just takes longer

Matthew

You can take the subway for two dollars any place with in NY City.

and you can walk to the Subway from the terminal about a mile and a half.

I am not saying it is or it isn't but this is from UK Rail.....

Single Journey from London Waterloo East (WAE) to Southampton (View Details for specific Stations)

Outbound: Friday 15 June, 2007

£26.70

here is Megatrain

Details Price

08:39 Depart London Waterloo

Arrive Southampton Central 10:14 1 seat = £12.00

11:39 Depart London Waterloo

Arrive Southampton Central 13:14 1 seat = £12.00

13:39 Depart London Waterloo

Arrive Southampton Central 15:16 1 seat = £12.00

17:00 Depart London Victoria, Greenline Coach Station

Arrive Southampton, Town Quay, High Street 19:25 1 seat = £9.50

21:39 Depart London Waterloo

Arrive Southampton Central 23:16 1 seat = £12.00

Cheapest available

£1 for train to Southampton from London, where do you get that fare from?

I think that is probably Megatrain.

I wish they would do it from Gatwick.

David

I think that is probably Megatrain.

I wish they would do it from Gatwick.

David

Indeed. Megatrain.

Although why Smeyer wanted to go from Waterloo East is another question entirely.....

Matthew

Indeed. Megatrain.

Although why Smeyer wanted to go from Waterloo East is another question entirely.....

Matthew

I need the exercise :)

but we digress...it really is not difficult or expensive to get into midtown from the Pier in Red Hook....

Matthew

£1 to southampton from London that was oviously during world war 2 lol anyway is there a shuttle to jrk from port ??? as we.re spending a week in Boston before coming home ????

£1 to southampton from London that was oviously during world war 2 lol anyway is there a shuttle to jrk from port ??? as we.re spending a week in Boston before coming home ????

JFK is about 20 miles from the cruise terminal. One of the local car services will charge you about $40.00 per car to get there. The one that the Pier uses will charge about $80.00 per person for the same thing. A yellow cab should cost about the $50.00 range depending on how they go. Both Super shuttle and airlink are possibilities check there websites. I believe Cunard does run a bus at about $40.00 per person. does that help?

MAJ . . . Here is a link from Cruise News Daily that will hopefully give you an insight to the terminal at Red Hook. (I'm can't offer a personal point of view since I have only sailed out of the NYPST in Manhattan,NY:)

MAJ . . . Here is a link from Cruise News Daily that will hopefully give you an insight to the terminal at Red Hook. (I'm can't offer a personal point of view since I have only sailed out of the NYPST in Manhattan,NY:)

There is no nice way of putting this the information on the website sucks. Its 10 miles from LGA to the Cruise terminal.(mapquest says is 11.7 miles and that it will take you 19 minutes) Without traffic it is 20 minutes not 18-20 miles and an hour and half. even in rush hour with a car or truck fire you will make it in an hour and half.

you can get better information on the cruise terminals own website

http://www.nycruiseterminal.com/terminalBKN.html

I have sailed out of Red Hook, Manhattan and Bayonne. Red Hook is by far the easiest of the terminals even though it is in God forsaken Brooklyn(I am kidding)...

Most passengers from LGA report paying about $30.00 for a cab...yes it can be more in rush hour. It is 16, 20 or 24 miles to JFK depending on which way you go. 16 by streets, 20 by the Van wyck to the BQE or 24 by the Belt Parkway. Newark is also 16 miles. The problem with Newark is that cabs there are expensive. Use a local car service( I would do that for Kennedy too- LGA is too easy to use a cab).

I think one of the cruise mags just declared Red Hook the best new terminal.....

Try the Megatrain website. Peter used it as recently as this month.

Matthew

I just returned from Southampton on this great ship. They have different buses leaving for all the airports and train stations at different times, so your not fighting two thousand people at the same time. I took a coach to Penn Station and saw all the limo drivers still sitting waiting for thier fares.

Disembarkation is no problem.

Mysteryfan

Brooklyn is out of the way.

Out of the way of what? It's part of the city and just a bridge or tunnel away from Manhattan.

Visitors come to see Manhattan.

Those visitors need to broaden their horizons. Or they should never brag to their friends that they have visited New York.

You could walk from the old terminal very easily. You can't with Brooklyn.

Walk where? You can walk from Red Hook, depends on where you want to go. Fairways, perhaps? They have a nice café looking out over the harbor.

You can also catch a bus from Red Hook to a subway (or walk a couple of miles to the nearest subway station). It cracks me up that after a luxury cruise people would be willing to lug their luggage from the Hudson piers along a few long (and not yet so great, but not as gritty as it used to be) blocks to get to Manhattan hotels. Hotels are usually not on 12th Avenue, unless you want to stay in an hourly rate dump - after that luxury cruise of yours. :D .

I don't think prime real estate will be given up anywhere for a cruise port. Just the way airports are not next to rich people's estates.

Peter,

With regard to the walking from the Manhattan terminal to a hotel--

I still want to know how they plan on getting across the West Side Highway with all those suitcases? Do you suppose they think the traffic are of a mind to follow the traffic signals? :p

I'll take either one without complaint, as I've got no say in the matter!

Peter,

With regard to the walking from the Manhattan terminal to a hotel--

I still want to know how they plan on getting across the West Side Highway with all those suitcases? Do you suppose they think the traffic are of a mind to follow the traffic signals? :p

I'll take either one without complaint, as I've got no say in the matter!

There is no west side highway at that point just 12th avenue, a traffic lighted street- yes it is wide but not unreasonable so.. The Miller highway which was at that point was taken down twenty years ago after a tractor tailer crashed through it.

With the lights it can be relatively easily crossed,. If that is too much for you there is an pedestrian overpass at 46th street which doesn't have steps but ramps.

There is no west side highway at that point just 12th avenue, a traffic lighted street- yes it is wide but not unreasonable so.. The Miller highway which was at that point was taken down twenty years ago after a tractor tailer crashed through it.

With the lights it can be relatively easily crossed,. If that is too much for you there is an pedestrian overpass at 46th street which doesn't have steps but ramps.

We were just in the area a week ago yesterday. We were (for measuring purposes) about a block north of the docked Norwegian Spirit (NCL), and we were attempting to get on 56th Street. I really wouldn't wish to consider walking across all that, but if you do, please send a picture. :)

We were just in the area a week ago yesterday. We were (for measuring purposes) about a block north of the docked Norwegian Spirit (NCL), and we were attempting to get on 56th Street. I really wouldn't wish to consider walking across all that, but if you do, please send a picture. :)

I have walked across it and taken public transportation when I was there for a ships ceremony. When I go over night I tend to drive. You take the elevator down to the street level. Walk across to the fence. The only highway type is on the second level where the cars drop you off. Once down stairs its a piece of cake. Yes its eight lanes but the lights change and you walk across. Its not horrible. Its like any major street in any major town that has lights. NY is relatively unusual that the streets which are on a old pattern are relatively small. Most modern city streets, Boston, Washington, even Philadelphia have "normal" streets that are larger than 12th avenue. We were just in Phili to see King Tut and the street there is larger than 12th avenue and more confusing. 56th street is where all the traffic goes up to the highway and is at its largest and fastest point. If you crossed directly in front to the ships it would have been a piece of cake.

56th street is where all the traffic goes up to the highway and is at its largest and fastest point. If you crossed directly in front to the ships it would have been a piece of cake.

Then I will make a note to go farther south if I wish to cross the Highway/Avenue on foot. I would definitely give it a go if I didn't have luggage, but should we end up at the Manhattan Terminal, it's likely there will be some.

Archived