Flying into KIX (Kansai Intl Osaka) - Immigration experience?

RJ2002

It really depends what flights (and how many) arrive at the same time. The lines can be long especially in the morning when all planes from South East Asia, Korea and China land. Why they try to ensure these folks have the landing cards filled in properly, that is not always the case and then you are "stuck" behind someone struggling at the counter. I experienced waits up to 45 min both in KIX and FUK several times in the past 2 years and it is not getting better.

If you have a connecting flight I would plan for at least 2h connecting time in FUK as you have to change terminals for internal flights. KIX is easier in this respect, but any connection less than 90min is risky.

You may wish to note that Japan from April 1, has changed to use a simplified arrival card. This may help, but one still needs to be fingerprinted and photographed anyway at the counter, but it takes usually less than 30 seconds.

Thanks all. Arriving mid-afternoon on a flight from the US.

No connecting flight, so that won't be a worry. Just need to get myself to Kyoto on the JR Haruka Limited Express train.