Is it True? Can't use Carnival Cheers Beverage Program in Galveston

JohnandKatr

I just heard from someone that the Carnival Cheers beverage program cannot be purchased for the 1st day of cruise if home port is Galveston??? Please tell me that not true!! We ALWAYS use the beverage program; are the 1st to board in the mornign and are enjoying mimosas and margaritas most of the day on the 1st day! I want to cancel my cruise now....

Yes you cannot purchase the Cheers Program until Day 2 - and as such the price is pro-rated accordingly.

You can still do all the same things you want to do - get on board early, enjoy some beverages it just means you need to purchase them individually on Day 1. While I was disappointed at first when I learned this it was not even close to a deal breaker for me.

Bummer....Do they use the daily rate for a 4 day cruise (multiplied by 3 + 15% gratuity)? Hopefully they don't use the daily rate for a 3 day cruise as this doesn't seem fair since we're on a 4 day cruise. For so many reasons, Galveston is becoming my least favorite home port. They sure don't make it very convenient to use this port.

copied from carnival:

• Due to Texas State laws, CHEERS! will not be offered until the second day of the cruise for voyages departing from our Texas home ports. In this case, please know the daily rate will be based on the full cruise duration price but only charged from day 2 forward. Guests may purchase drinks in the usual manner.

I'm wondering if this could be a work around option for us: If we purchase PRIOR to embarkation day, a gift of Rum or beer to be delivered to our cabin....will they deliver it to our cabin 1st day of cruise or is there a Galveston law that prohibits them from delivering it to our cabin until day 2? In the past, I've ordered a bucket of beer ahead of time and it's in our cabin almost as soon as we board.

Texas liquor laws (irrespective of the day of the week) require all liquor sold in Texas be liquor bought in Texas with the state taxes paid on it. Therefore, cruise lines purchase just certain brands in Texas and other brands that they serve will not be available until the ship clears Texas space.

I've said it on other posts, but I'll add it here too. Carnival says they don't sell cheers on first day due to Texas liquor laws. However, both NCL and RCCL let you purchase their package and start using immediately upon embarkation. It is true that there is a limited selection of beverages because they must purchase the liquor from Texas that is served in Port or on Texas waters.

So this is what I understand based on the comments in this post. Our cruise leaves Galveston on Saturday and returns the following Saturday. I won't be able to buy Cheers! until Sunday and will pay for 6 days. For Saturday, I can buy drinks on the ship for normal pricing.

Couple questions: Is there a way to have bottomless bubbles for the first day and then upgrade it to cheers on day 2?

I'm wondering if this could be a work around option for us: If we purchase PRIOR to embarkation day, a gift of Rum or beer to be delivered to our cabin....will they deliver it to our cabin 1st day of cruise or is there a Galveston law that prohibits them from delivering it to our cabin until day 2? In the past, I've ordered a bucket of beer ahead of time and it's in our cabin almost as soon as we board.

I ordered a gift pack - a tote, towels and a bottle of champagne and it won't be delivered until Day 2. Sounds like all Bon Voyage purchases go out on Day 2.