Any good vantage point for berth 106 at Southampton?

starbug

Hi,

We' like to see the Oriana before boarding her next year and would like to know if there is a good vantage point to see her while docked on the day she is doing a turnaround.

If anyone has any ideas, please could you let me know.

Thanks in advance :)

That's Mayflower Terminal, isn't it? I'm sure someone like John Bull will know the answer...I've seen ships moored there from the Mayflower Park, but it's a distance away, and also when we've used Cruise Parking on the opposite bank. Other than the top floor of IKEA, I'm not sure...:rolleyes:

Someone else will surely know.... :(

Yes, Jo, Mayflower Terminal.

Best bet is to drive into the docks (gate 10) & round to her berth.

If you're quizzed at the gate (unlikely) you're "meeting a crew-member" at the terminal, which is a good excuse for any time of the day ;).

Drive round to her berth, plenty of places to park out of everyone's way, but best not leave the car unattended. You'll get a very good close-up view of her from the car.

f you want to watch her sailing away, the vantage point is Mayflower Park.

If there's a ship at City Cruise Terminal that day, you don't have to exit the docks at Gate 10 - instead take the next exit at the roundabout by Gate 10, & drive past City Cruise Terminal to exit the docks at Gate 8.

But that gate is normally closed when there's no ship at City Cruise Terminal, so you'll have to exit the docks at Gate 10 and drive via West Quay Road.

Mayflower Park shares its entrance with the Isle of Wight car ferry, so take the "I of W car ferry" exit off Town Quay. Parking all round the park perimeter road, watch the sail-out from your car if it's cold or wet.

On this googlemap, Mayflower Cruise Terminal is at the end of the blue line. No ship at the terminal on this map, the cruise ship you see on it is

at City Cruise Terminal.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/50.9053173,-1.4284757/Mayflower+Park,+Southampton/@50.9020357,-1.4210166,1356m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m14!4m13!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d-1.4168209!2d50.9029628!3s0x487476beebc2f2cf:0xccaca2fef5058ab7!1m5!1m1!1s0x487476c964d664fb:0x6b55128b15a3ecc4!2m2!1d-1.4093941!2d50.8979792!3e0

There are other more-distant viewpoints of her sailing into the Solent at Netley Abbey and Hamble Point.

JB :)

ps. IKEA. Nice try, Jo, but no cigar. It's too far away. And it'd take half the day to find your way out of the damned store. Nice hot-dogs though.;)

Edited by John Bull