Public transport question KATAKOLON????

portcbob

Hi fellow cruisers.

Just wondering if it is easy to catch a train or bus from Katakolon port to Olympia??????... If so, how often do they run out there??????

On arrival at Olympia is it possible to pay for a english speaking guide??????

Regards and Thanks.

Bob & Chris.:):):)

There is a train to Olympia from Katakolon, but it only runs a few times per day and shuts down during the winter season. There was some question last year as to whether it would keep running (due to Greece's financial difficulties) so I suggest you ask this question again close to the time you are cruising.

Here's a thread from last year with some discussion on using the train:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1422700&highlight=olympia+train

Some people in the thread mention using a bus service, but others reported back later that it wasn't terribly reliable. For more info, you can do a search on this board for "Olympia Train" (advanced search) in the title of threads and you'll turn up quite a few targeted results.

The train is running on a very slim schedule during the peak season from Pyrgos - Katakolon - Olympia .

Personally take the Ships Excursion you go to Olympia site, Museum and more or a local Tour operator is Georges Taxis , book on line via his website before arriving .

We stayed in Katakolon, and saw the train. The "station" was close to the pier, walk off the ship and keep walking to the right.

We only took the horse carriage ride (narrated, pointed out Mt Olympus), the "train" ride (car pulling tourist "train") and went to a very interesting museum of inventions where a woman showed everybody how everything works. Amazing!

Hi Fellow Cruisers,

We will be on our first Med Cruise in July. We are looking forward to this dream vacation. I have been researching each port for approximately 2 years. Although I have gained a lot of knowledge, I'm sure I'll learn a lot more along the way with lots of surprises. As for Katakolon, we wanted dependable transportation to Olympia. This week I've reserved Katakolon Express for our day at port. The cost is 20 euro per person (round trip), no deposit (pay on the bus), meet and return us to the port and consist of 4 to 4.5 hours. Katakolon Express have e-mail me a map of Olympia so I can research the sites we will be visiting. Rick Steeves Med book gives a good explanation of the sites we will be seeing in Olympia. Would greatly appreciate other cruisers feedback if they have found cheaper but reliable transportation.

• 3 years later...