Royal Caribbean or Norwegian?

My husband and I (we are both in our early 30's) are looking at a New England cruise this October. We have narrowed it down to Royal Caribbean's Brilliance of the Seas or the Norwegian Gem. Any advice? Does one have an older crowd than the other? Which is more luxury? Both are similarly priced so just looking to understand each ship.

Lastly beginning (10/4), middle (10/11) or end (10/18) of October for peak leaf peeping?

My husband and I (we are both in our early 30's) are looking at a New England cruise this October. We have narrowed it down to Royal Caribbean's Brilliance of the Seas or the Norwegian Gem. Any advice? Does one have an older crowd than the other? Which is more luxury? Both are similarly priced so just looking to understand each ship.

Lastly beginning (10/4), middle (10/11) or end (10/18) of October for peak leaf peeping?

I would say that both ships are similar in demographic and service. To me, it would come down to the ports called. We did a Canada/NE (I know, I know) on the Dawn a few years back. Unfortunately, the one port we really wanted to get to, Martha's Vinyard, was cancelled as too rough to tender.

Probably go with mid-Oct, as peak could be either earlier or later. Also, the peak will differ the further north you go, so while it may be peak in Maine, it has already passed in Canada. If you can predict when peak foliage will be, come on up, we can use your for weather forecasting. :p

• 5 weeks later...

As you can see form my sig, I'm a NCL fan, and have only sailed with them, so I can't speak to RCCI. But, I've done the NE/Canada on the Gem and loved it. The Gem has been my fav NCL ship to sail on (I've been on her twice) - amazing crew, big enough to have lots to do, but small enough that it doesn't feel overly crowded.

What I like about NCL in general is the casual vibe it has. No formal nights. Eat where you'd like, whenever you'd like, with whomever you like. I will say that this itinerary has an older crowd, but I think you'll get that on any ship for this itinerary during this time of year - but bonus was not a lot of kids!! lol I'm not much for partying all night (especially after a ton work walking/hiking in port), but there did seem to be some good night life options.

The timing is really a craps shoot. We went early Oct, and saw some color, but everything was still mostly green - and grey (it was raining and overcast the whole trip).

Good luck and happy planning!

Brilliance goes to Bar Harbor which is spectacular. However, it is a tender port and is at risk to be cancelled.

Columbus Day tends to be the peak in the Boston area, so I would consider going north the week before.

Be sure to check hotel prices in both NY and Boston and be prepared for sticker shock. One option with Boston could be to rent a car when you return to drive inland a bit to see leaves. Hotel prices will be less outside the city. Monday is the holiday so you could fly back then. This strategy is not so good for the NY area. Driving out of Boston an hour or less will get you to Lexington, Concord, or Salem, but IMO driving out of NYC an hour doesn't get you much of anywhere comparable.

Brilliance is a lovely ship with lots of glass. I did two Transatlantics on her in 2013-14 in inside cabins. You have outside views in many of the public areas. I also sailed for a one day cruise on the Gem. Not really fair to compare, but the Gem was not nearly as open to the outside as the Brilliance.

Edited by 138east