Ta cruising question

DUVAL009

We went on a 2 week ta last year and I think there was maybe 6-8 children on the whole ship. I'm not kidding. I had been told that the ta's usually have less children and also since we were cruising in Oct most children were in school. If I hadn't actually seen the kids I wouldn't have thought there were any on board at all. They were so well behaved (ok, 1 had a temper tantrum in their cabin one afternoon). lol So depending where your ta will be taking you and what time of year you might be in for a very pleasant surprise.

We're on the Eclipse TA in two weeks. The roll call is massive and not one person has mentioned bringing kids. I think they have a reduced kids program on those sailings and divert some of the staff to increased activities for the adults on sea days.

On our TA there were very few children. I believe alot of it is that most of the cruises occur when most children are in school.

I agree. Two weeks is a long time for most parents to pull their kids from school and I think a lot of schools hold parents more accountable these days for having a better reason than a family vacation for doing so.

I think that given the duration of most cruises, the crowd might be a bit older than average, too.

We're just off Norwegian Sun's Trans-Atlantic (Sep 20-Oct 5); we saw 4 children. They were very well behaved. Time of year and the length of a T-A cruise (ours was 15-nights) plus travel time probably does cut down on the number of families then.

We've never sailed, but will be taking our infant daughter on the QM2 from NY to England next June, she'll be one. They apparently have a full nursery with properly trained nursery nurses and a separate space for the little ones to nap, and will take them in the evenings so the grown-ups can eat alone in style. They also have a special "children's tea" every afternoon in the buffet.

It sounded like heaven to DP and me and we couldn't resist the voyage over the alternative excruciatingly expensive one-way flight, especially when the infant cost with Cunard was just the taxes. I'm guessing that there can't be too many children as there aren't that many spaces in the nursery and children's play area, but a 7 day holiday with fun activities for her, and a gentle time-zone shift sounded far more enjoyable than 18 hours of screaming on a plane and in airports and a sudden 6 hour time difference that you just know will take at least a week for her to adjust to. And mummy and mama will certainly be enjoying the benefits of the free baby sitting!

I did a 17 day REPO from Miami to SF. There were mabie 2- 3 kids on whole ship. I had the gym to myself most of time. Most of others there were well over 50. That was back in 2001 on the NCL Wind.

Archived