Excursion with new injury

rdsxgrl28

I have just smashed my wrist and had metal plate & screws inserted. We have or maybe had the Christmas Cove on the pirate ship booked. I found out you have to climb a ladder if you snorkel.

I can use my hand more & more but cannot put pressure or torque on the joint. I can swim just need an easy on/off the boat. Anyone know if the catamarans are better?

Any chance? I will be on RCI/Oasis in St Thomas

I have just smashed my wrist and had metal plate & screws inserted. We have or maybe had the Christmas Cove on the pirate ship booked. I found out you have to climb a ladder if you snorkel.

I can use my hand more & more but cannot put pressure or torque on the joint. I can swim just need an easy on/off the boat. Anyone know if the catamarans are better?

Any chance? I will be on RCI/Oasis in St Thomas

Most newer catamarans have steps. However with that said you will still be required to hold on to 2 hand railings while moving up/down the steps as catamarans are also subject to movement. Any sudden movement of the catamaran while going up or down the stairs could result in having to grip the railing tightly which could possibly result in pressure and or torque on the joint. You really need to discuss this with you medical professionals before deciding.

Most newer catamarans have steps. However with that said you will still be required to hold on to 2 hand railings while moving up/down the steps as catamarans are also subject to movement. Any sudden movement of the catamaran while going up or down the stairs could result in having to grip the railing tightly which could possibly result in pressure and or torque on the joint. You really need to discuss this with you medical professionals before deciding.

I've had to deal with a broken foot (that did not heal properly :( ), and also now a torn rotator cuff.

That's all meant some improvising on occasions.

Thinking about the railings if there are steps, would you be able to grasp strongly with the good hand, and do something like hook your elbow firmly around the other side?

Is there a strong significant other who could be following right behind you, almost double?

Not every activity has a fix, but over time, it's possible to adjust in some surprising ways.

I'd be more concerned about whether you can really swim, however.

I needed quite a bit of help getting out - and then back in (ugh!) - a small boat we chartered, including into the water - but only shallow, waist deep, given my injury.

(DH was at the ready with some well placed "shoves" as needed ;))

But there was *no* way I would have felt safe trying to swim.

Yes, double check carefully with the medical professional treating you, probably the surgeon.

Also, by the time of your cruise, will it be a matter of "just pain" (still not desirable) or would it be that you could actually "do additional damage" (much worse, obviously).

If it's approved, I'd also strongly suggest double checking with the tour provider, to make *sure* that the equipment you are expecting is what will actually be on *your* outing.

Good luck.

Thanks, we decided it just isn't worth it this close to the injury. There is always next cruise. So poolside & beach chairs this time around - hard to feel sorry about that;)

My right hand is good I am a rightie but my left is a mess. If I slipped OMG I don't want to think about it. My guy is strong but he is already doing so much I want him to relax & I know if I risk this he won't.

I am very lucky I will heal & get about 80-90% usage back. It could have been so much worse. I do count my blessing their.